You Won't Like This - Bands That Should Retire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only two I 100% agree with are The New Cars and The Rolling Stones.

First of all, The New Cars??? What the hell is that all about?? Ben Orr is dead and Ric Okasik isn't part of them anymore. Those two guys were The Cars!! I'm trying to imagine what person what waste a nickel on seeing this pathetic version of a great '70's/80's band.

And don't get me started on The Stones. I despise them. Couldn't possibly hate a band more than I do these guys. They should retire.

It blows my mind that the writer of the article could possibly include U2 on this list.

sue4u2 said:

That's OK love. If you weren't born before, well alot of people then you may not be familiar with him. I saw him in the 70's after he released "Hello it me". which I saw him perform live. At the time the song meant a great deal to me and really still does.
All that has really mattered over the years anyway was music.

I saw some great concerts in those days.. and he was one of them.

I saw him with John Entwistle back in 2001 - it was awesome, they did Beatles songs :rockon:

the thing about Todd Rundgren was in the article about The New Cars, btw, now the one on U2.

ya omg u2 r selloutz cuz they wer on a comershul and i hait hutdabz bcuz the ablum title iz long and u2 r old lolz

Crap article. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if U2 never appeared in another Apple commercial.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

U2 just made a record of the records of the records tour, and this element says they need to retire because a rock band must retire at a certain point..............................this man is ill!!
Music has no age, suckass!!

Although I no longer live in MA, the Boston Globe and Boston itself adore U2. It's a shame the DVD from the Elevation tour will forever be marred by some selfish morons NOT from Boston who chose to sit down because they weren't at the very front of the heart (like they were for every other concert). Don't let that DVD fool you. Boston crowds are loud and appreciative of U2 and I've seen some brilliant shows in MA. Additionally, just about everything I've seen written about U2 in either the Herald or Globe has been incredibly positive - to the point of fawning.

Bottom line, this is a viewpoint of ONE man who perhaps in a drunken stupor felt it was time he made a name for himself by putting down others.

The irony is that none of us know his name nor do we care. And we probably will never remember his name or his views. He'll just be another guy who thinks that after someone hits 30, anything "fun" isn't allowed. I had a friend who refused to see any more rock concerts after he turned 30 - not because he didn't want to, but because he was now 30. Yes, some unimportant number determined solely on how many times the earth revolves around the sun is how he sets his life's plan. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, the writer is a bastard - don't let him get you down. ;)

this thread's responses are dumber than the article itself, and i haven't even bothered to read it.

i 7ust know.

cause i cool

i

^Exactly. Wonder if he still works for the Globe?????

(ridiculous article, btw!)

oh, and i for one hope u2 retires.

not saying that for bullshit purposes, but i don't like their recent music.

similiarly, i think radiohead would be best to call it quits in the near future. first see what their next album is like though, i suppose...

doctorwho said:
It's a shame the DVD from the Elevation tour will forever be marred by some selfish morons NOT from Boston who chose to sit down because they weren't at the very front of the heart (like they were for every other concert). Don't let that DVD fool you.

What the hell are you talking about?? That DVD kicks serious ass...the place was rockin'. You'd be hard pressed to find a better concert DVD.

He's probably right. U2's best work is behind them and their recent efforts don't match up. They have become a bit of a cabaret act especially after that latest crap with mary bilge. Probably is time for them to hang it up cos all I can see in the future is more mediocre releases that just continue to tarnish their history.

Who cares what this moron thinks and what his taste in music is...I am sure if anybody asked him what his taste in music was we would see why hes saying this about bands that have made it hes just one of those guys that would have loved U2 to stay in the club and not in a stadium...Too bad just missing out.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

What the hell are you talking about?? That DVD kicks serious ass...the place was rockin'. You'd be hard pressed to find a better concert DVD.

You're kidding, right? Firstly, compare that audience to any from South America or Europe. Secondly, that concert became notorious for a protest by some "fans" who were denied the front of the heart, so they sat down at the back of it.

Well, to play devil's advocate, this guy may think that U2, despite their popularity, is growing into a shadow of their former selves and should hang it up with dignity intact (his his mind). Also, I bet he wanted to stir up some controversy by throwing U2 in the list.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Twenty-five years, one song in one commercial, and they didn't take the money.

Total sellouts, right. :rolleyes:

Of course, no one bothers to mention the U2-themed Ipod (or that the ad is at least as much about the song as it is about the product) when they complain about the commercial.

As for "in it for the money"? :huh: When you get as big as U2 did with JT, yes, money is a part of the equation.

Given that they can still make good music, and relative affordability of their tickets to someone like Madonna or Stones or McCartney (and like some bands I could mention, didn't tour their Best of albums), that their setlist don't just rely on greatest hits and that like many of their contemporaries they don't seem to be going into oblivion ....I think we will see U2 making music for another 10 years or so easily.

A lot will depend on Larry's wrists and Bono's voice IMO.

Axver said:

You're kidding, right? Firstly, compare that audience to any from South America or Europe. Secondly, that concert became notorious for a protest by some "fans" who were denied the front of the heart, so they sat down at the back of it.

No I'm not kidding. You'd have to be incredibly spoiled and cynical to believe the Boston DVD is anything but their best. It's head and shoulders about every other official DVD release this band has had.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

No I'm not kidding. You'd have to be incredibly spoiled and cynical to believe the Boston DVD is anything but their best. It's head and shoulders about every other official DVD release this band has had.

Er...

Right.

Boston is the last place that comes to mind when I think of good U2 concerts on film. Sydney, Slane and Mexico, yes. Boston? Doesn't even register on the radar.

GibsonGirl said:

Er...

Right.

Boston is the last place that comes to mind when I think of good U2 concerts on film. Sydney, Slane and Mexico, yes. Boston? Doesn't even register on the radar.

Well, I guess we'll never see eye to eye on this one. But there is no debating that the best DVD version of 'Streets' is on Boston. NOTHING can compare to this one.

rjhbonovox said:
He's probably right. U2's best work is behind them and their recent efforts don't match up. They have become a bit of a cabaret act especially after that latest crap with mary bilge. Probably is time for them to hang it up cos all I can see in the future is more mediocre releases that just continue to tarnish their history.

There's no argueing with taste, if you, and I'm sure you're not alone, don't like U2s latest work then that's fine. But doesn't mean that they should retire!?!
There are plenty of U2 fans who still love the new material as well as the old, like yours truely, and hope they keep touring for least another couple of decades! I'm still holding out for the day U2 come to Finland again!!
Although I have to agree about doing the M.Bilge project was a mistake, she totally ruins One!!

Back
Top Bottom