You know you're an AVID U2 fan when....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBH

Acrobat
.......*you get mad and insulted at someone because he/she hates U2
*were irritated at the people throwing glow-sticks at Bono during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl (2002)
*can't understand why the "younger generation" doesn't like U2 (this would be teens and early 20's)
*the jukebox at your local bar doesn't have any U2 cd's in it (luckily, this is a rare occurrence)

I was just thinking about some of these musings over the weekend and thought that there would be no better place to get it off my chest than here at interference. A conversation w/a friend of mine got me thinking about all of this.

We were bullshitting about music over a few drinks and discussing the upcoming summer concerts (great summer of music upcoming, IMA). Anyway, when I mentioned that U2 is one of those bands that you cannot fully appreciate until you see them live, he quipped: "I hate U2. Bono is an asshole!"

Being the sensitive guy that I am, I was a little irked (even though it is silly to get pissed over someone else's opinion). The thing that I noticed was that people seem to judge U2 strictly based on Bono and his actions. I don't think the mass-majority truly knows about the guy and his deeds as much as an avid fan(like us). I also can't understand how someone cannot find at least one song or even one album by U2 that they like!!!!

Unfortunately, I do understand why many people think Bono is an asshole and at times, even agree with them. He comes across as very arrogant, outspoken and pretentious (the old runninng joke in life is: There are only 2 kinds of people that wear glasses indoors: blind people and assholes! LOL!).

Luckily, I (and most visitors to this site) are not ignorant on the subject and we understand him more than most people. You take the good and the bad with him (and the band). It's kind of ironic that my favorite and least favorite member of U2 is Bono!

Does anybody else feel the same about any of this? Curious to read your thoughts.....

LOL@ the sunglasses thing. A lot of people just assume if somebody wears them inside or at night, they must be blind, or be on drugs so bad they don't want anyone to see their dialted pupils. My Mom is one of those. I had a hard time convincing her Michael Jackson wasn't blind in the 80s when he wore those dark glasses. She asked me how I knew Bono hadn't gone blind. I said, well, he sees, he walks around, he looks at stuff, he even drives, he only fell off the heart ramp once, and, oh- I looked into his eyes :cute: They work!

I really don't see him as arrogant and I think anyone who does is misinformed or only partially knowledgable. A lot of the way he act is his personality and sense of humor and he doesn't mean anything by it. I have 'known' him so long I consider that.

Avid fans? Well, we all have our own definition of that. To some, you have to like everything the band does and if there's one song/album/era you don't care for, you're a bad fan! I don't believe that. It's okay to like some things more than others, it's like that with everything else in life, why not U2? :shrug: I must admit, I find it hard to accept when someone tells me they 'suck' or they 'hate' them. I also don't believe there is NO song they like in that vast catalog. The ones that piss me off most are the ones who say 'all U2 songs sound alike' :der: Say WHAT?! That's really stupid and nothing could be further from the truth. Maybe I would respect the anti-U2 peoples' opinions more if they bothered to listen to all their stuff and inform themselves about Bono before they go shooting their mouths off with half ass, half cocked assumptions told for the truth. :rant:

U2Kitten said:
I really don't see him as arrogant and I think anyone who does is misinformed or only partially knowledgable. A lot of the way he act is his personality and sense of humor and he doesn't mean anything by it. I have 'known' him so long I consider that./B]

:yes: It really irritates me when people say Bono is arrogant. I think it's fair to say he likes being the center of attention, but isn't that kind of a job requirement for being a rock star? And if his ego really was as big as so many people say, how come he's still in the band after more than 20 years? Wouldn't the other guys have kicked him out by now if he really was an arrogant jerk? Or wouldn't he have said, "to hell with all of you" and gone solo? It simply doesn't compute.

(OK, that's kind of off-topic, but I really wanted to vent!)

Bono's shades said:

:yes: It really irritates me when people say Bono is arrogant. I think it's fair to say he likes being the center of attention, but isn't that kind of a job requirement for being a rock star? And if his ego really was as big as so many people say, how come he's still in the band after more than 20 years? Wouldn't the other guys have kicked him out by now if he really was an arrogant jerk? Or wouldn't he have said, "to hell with all of you" and gone solo? It simply doesn't compute.

(OK, that's kind of off-topic, but I really wanted to vent!)

Good replies and I, as an avid U2 fan, understand where you (and U2kitten) are coming from. These are good points but to be honest and fair about it, Bono IS arrogant. There is no doubt about that. In fact, he even states his arrogance frequently during interviews and has displayed this trait since the early days of U2 (ie: the very first Rolling Stone interview w/U2 the arrogance is evident).

Like you said, it is almost a pre-requisite to be confident/arrogant to be a lead singer in a band. It helps the band get exposure and also helps in performances and other areas as well.

As I mentioned earlier, all these reasons are why he is my favorite and least favorite member of U2 all in one....

I guess people would see Bono like that although i haven't heard anyone I know say that......But i think that crosses their mind.
*can't understand why the "younger generation" doesn't like U2 (this would be teens and early 20's)
about that i seem to make a fan of whoever I can if they don't want to hear about U2.

Kariann said:
When your mom buys ceramic garden ducks and names them Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry.
:lmao:

When your uncle says "Bone-oh" and your mom yells, "It's BAH-NO!" because she's sick of being corrected herself.

my dad knows so much about U2. He knows all their albums, when they came out, and can name the album a song is from. he knows their real names..and a ton about Bono and his work with AIDS. And i was like "guess who's birthday is on halloween?" without hesitation he said "larry" i am well past being sad. I am on the verge of crazy

Just a few points
* I dont think Bono is particularly arrogant, more confident and passionate
* When people criticise U2 I take it very personally - a fellow teacher did this a few months ago and I did not speak to him for days - dickhead!
* You really know you are an avid U2 fan when at Mass on Sunday you ask God to bless them and keep them safe

Pamela

PopTart said:
Just a few points
* I dont think Bono is particularly arrogant, more confident and passionate

I totally agree

* When people criticise U2 I take it very personally - a fellow teacher did this a few months ago and I did not speak to him for days - dickhead!

Ha ha, I did that to my brother not too long ago. I was a little pissed at him.

:mad:

I kinda got used to the fact that Bono gets on many people's nerves; I'm sometimes surprised how heated their feelings are considering he's just a singer in a rock band. You might think he stole their parking space once or something.

I have no doubts that Bono has an ego the size of an Eiffel tower, but as long as that arrogance doesn't translate into treating other people like crap it doesn't bother me much. From what I've read and heard practically everyone who's ever met Bono and the rest of the band said what nice, professional, etc. guys they were. I also think that sometimes people get huffy over some of Bono's words that would cause -no- reaction whatsoever had anyone else but Bono said it, and something that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek is taken sooo incredibly seriously (that's not to say that Bono's mouth doesn't go ahead of his brain sometimes, :))

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
lego popmart stage. that's all i'm going to say.
*sends you a scanner so the rest of us can see*

[Originally posted by AdamsMango
I don't think Bono is any arrogant. He is caring, giving, and nice to most everyone. Arrogant to me always seems to be stick your nose up at people. maybe thats just me
It's not just you. I feel the same way.

When you cannot walk into a record store without arranging the u2 cds into perfect order;) Right Bonochick????:eeklaugh:

Last edited:
Kariann said:
When your mom buys ceramic garden ducks and names them Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry.

I have 2 parakeets. One is quiet, reserved, but can make plenty of noise when he wants to. The other is very loud, likes to make noise, won't shut up no matter what. You should hear them when I put on a U2 cd. They get louder than anything, and one of them can even do the "whoo hoo" part of Elevation perfectly. I named the quiet one Edge, the noisy one Bono.

When you raise your kids to become as fanatical about U2 as you are AND makes your mother-in-law a big fan as well.

When you hang out in a store that you aren't interested in being in just because they are playing a U2 song on their loudspeakers.

When the ringtone on your phone is a U2 song

When you go to yard sales and flea markets just to search through the books and records to see if they have U2 items they don't want.

U2luv said:

I have 2 parakeets. One is quiet, reserved, but can make plenty of noise when he wants to. The other is very loud, likes to make noise, won't shut up no matter what. You should hear them when I put on a U2 cd. They get louder than anything, and one of them can even do the "whoo hoo" part of Elevation perfectly. I named the quiet one Edge, the noisy one Bono.

:lmao:

I get very defensive when someone criticises U2 ... and by U2, I mean Bono. I am a huge fan of Bono because of his extroverted personality, not in spite of it. Probably because I'm such a shy little thing!

Most people see Bono at either end of the spectrum. Like, he's a nice guy because he does all this stuff for charity, but he's so annoying and thinks he's better than everyone else. Well, he's NOT, and who would care anyway? We have a thing in Australia called "Tall Poppy" syndrome, where everyone tries to cut down those who achieve better than the masses. This definitely applies to Bono, particularly since he has all these rendez-vous with politicians.

I probably would be mad at Bono if I didn't like U2 or I didn't agree with what he believes, because I get annoyed by other bands and singers for more minor reasons. But I like U2! ... and Hell hath no fury like a U2 fan scorned ...

Back
Top Bottom