You gonna keep defending the recent actions of U2 after reading this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
LINK HERE

January 25, 2005
An Open Letter to U2
Dear U2,

I'd like to explain to you what kind of fan I am. I first saw you play in 1982 when I was a freshman in college. That was 22 shows ago - I've travelled across an ocean to see you play. I've bought multiple copies of all the albums, run my own website, worked for others - I've spent a lot of time on U2 because I loved the music. And I always felt that you were different - you didn't buy into all the corporate music crap and I felt that you had a unique love for your fans.

I've told people this over the years, that you were different. You made fun of people who cared about money over love. You dared to speak up when you saw injustice. You were earnest, but didn't take yourselves too seriously. You could poke fun at yourselves and the ridiculous industry you found yourselves in - all while making fantastic music. You cared about the fans - took the time to do things for them, speak to them. Run up into the crowd.

People gave me crap for that, y'know - but I sincerely believed it to be true. I've never asked anything from you, never hung outside the venue to meet you, never asked for an autograph. Just bought the music and went to the shows along the way.

In the last few years, I feel you've changed, and this was hammered home completely today.

The crack first started during the Elevation Tour, during the Boston Show. Die-hard fans lined up all night long to get the best General Admission in the house, right up on the stage. No one thought it was their due to have that ticket because they were the biggest fan - they bought the ticket and stood in line all day and all night to have the #1 spot. This show was a little different - it was being taped for the DVD - and right before the gates came open something happened. People came out and began picking people - pretty people, young people, to go to the front of the line. Can you imagine how that felt to the people who have been your fans for years? Who stood in line all day to get that spot? You're not good enough, not pretty enough for the video. That was the first time, to me, it was not for Love, it was for Money. You see the result of it in that DVD, when half the heart sits down for part of the show. Sour grapes? Maybe. But a betrayal from a band we trusted.

The crack that started then has blown wide in the last few months.

1. Where Are the Lyrics?

Several months ago, most of the major fan sites received a cease and desist letter from lawyers at your label instructing them to remove the lyrics from their websites. Now these lyrics have been there for years - and you have known about them. What's different now? You're charging for U2.Com. Never mind that U2.Com doesn't really work well, doesn't have all the lyrics up - never mind that those fansites have for years been doing work that benefited you, out of the webmasters' pockets - work done for Love! You decided you were ready to pick up your toys and keep them for yourselves. Fair play - they are your lyrics - but a letter from a lawyer? Come on! Couldn't you have handled it better, the people who have done your online marketing for you for over ten years, with no thanks from you? A letter. From a lawyer. Thanks a lot. (Oh by the way, the lyrics at U2.Com aren't complete, nor are they accurate).

2. U2.Com

Then comes the absolute disaster that is U2.Com. First of all, weren't you aware of when your album would be released well in advance of the date? Wouldn't it have been possible - I'd say, even desirable to have the working website on a test server and have all the bugs worked out so you are merely flipping a switch? This is standard web development protocol. Instead, you had a web site that came up well after the album was released, with so many bugs that navigation was nearly impossible. But, it took orders for membership. Orders that never made it into the system. But got charged, once or twice - without the promised Propaganda discount.

Your boards at Zootopia are flooded with people who two months later are still unable to access webmail, unable to log in properly, unable to see the subscriber forums. I was in this boat - and I've sent 15 emails to both fanfire and u2.com - none of which have been answered with anything but an automated FAQ that answers none of my questions. (I got that twice). I called Fanfire 8 times, with long holds each time and the most productive advice I've received from them was "keep hitting refresh." Brilliant. (You still owe me $40 for the double charge by the way - I haven't gotten that refund yet).

A member of your organization representing U2.Com was recorded on the Dave Fanning show last week, making a couple of pretty interesting statements. "We're still providing a really good service for free for fans, they're getting all the news, they're getting all the latest videos, audio, that kind of stuff. But if they (fans) want extra stuff, they can pay for it. We're not trying to rip them off. We're providing extra content and extra stuff. There is a cost to us, and we're passing it along."... "There have been a few technical problems purely because it's been so popular. But we do have a support team online 24 hours a day, and we have been getting through all this backlog of problems people have been having." Where is this support team? I haven't seen them, and they sure haven't answered me. It seemed cavalier to me, as if the concerns of the fans are being disregarded completely.

What About Propaganda?

What about Propaganda members? Those members who were your biggest fans from years back? A lot of those subscribers came on during the Elevation tour and got only one magazine. You decided to kill the fan club, but you neglected to tell the fans! We were all left hanging, for four years before you said anything about it. During this time you were able to get together to create that fantastic Propaganda cocktail table book (yours at Amazon.com for only $27.50) but you didn't tell the fans! Then we finally got a letter. Well not all of us, actually - quite a few of us didn't because you used a years old database, but I digress. We got a letter promising us that as a thank you to make up for the unfulfilled Propaganda subscription we would get a discount on U2.Com - plus "Priority ticketing for 2005 tour available for purchase through U2.Com." Also promised (this in an email) "former Propaganda members go to the front of the line for tickets." Neither of these happened so well.

Guaranteed! Priority! Booking!

I don't care about webmail or forums, not one bit. All I cared about was the tickets. Your very own emails promised me this - in fact, here's the email you sent me on December 15th:

Dear U2 fan:

Big News!

In just a few weeks U2 will be announcing dates for a ten-month world tour in 2005.

And Members of the all-new U2.Com will be first in line for tickets with a guarantee of priority booking.

U2.Com has just relaunched with an all-singing, all-dancing new site, which includes, for the first time, a brand new Membership site.

Membership of U2.Com costs $40 per year and as well as a host of special features like your own '@U2.Com' email address, exclusive full-length performance videos and a big discount at the U2.Com Store, Members are offered the chance to book two indoor tickets or four outdoor tickets - BEFORE the general public sale of tickets.

With the 2005 Tour dates set to be announced next month, we wanted to let you know now about the U2.Com Membership package.

Here's the deal.

As well as the new site which is free to all fans, paid-for 'Members' site offers exclusive online access to what the band are up to with rare video, downloads and exclusive interviews. Members get a special free gift on joining, plus their own '@U2.Com' email address, access to a host of new discussion boards in our interactive area, Zootopia - and a 25% discount on first purchase from the U2.Com Store.

Already building up a treasure trove of U2 specials, the new Members site already offers :

- live band performances of 'Miracle Drug' and 'Vertigo'
- a mini-documentary on how the Vertigo video was shot in Spain
- behind the scenes in the Dublin studios with five live tracks for BBC Radio 1.

Find out all the details on becoming a Member at U2.Com here

If you are planning on seeing the band live in 2005, being a U2.Com Member offers you guaranteed priority booking come the New Year !

See you on the road.

U2.Com Team

Well, let me tell you what didn't happen. I didn't get any guaranteed priority booking. Oh no, what I got was nothing at all. I logged onto the site at 9:59 for a 10:00 onsale (New York City), and I hit refresh until I saw it and then I immediately put in my details and clicked Go! (FYI - I am on broadband cable which was fast as lightening). The system said it was looking, don't hit refresh! You'll lose your spot! And then BAM! No Tickets Available. What? (The time? 10:01 eastern). How many tickets did you put in the presale? 20? I repeated the process again at 10:00 Central (Chicago) and got again - nothing. Almost everyone I am aware of (and this is well over 50 people who each paid you $40) either got NOTHING or got crap nosebleed seats behind the stage. Subsequent emails promised reduced Ticketmaster fees, which either didn't materialize or the reductions were so small that no one noticed.

Guaranteed priority? Bull.
Reduced Fees? No.
Who got those tickets?
A quick search of ebay will tell you the brokers did. How? Am I to pay $1500 for floor general admission in New York?
I don't think so.

Why were the presale tickets so severely limited? Why not sell to your fan club until they have what they want and then go to the public onsale? Don't you want your fans in the venue? Why is your site so expensive, when it fails to deliver on the only real benefit anyone is interested in? (you can have your metal credit card back, if you like)

Other bands handle this so much better, and for so much less money. REM. Dave Matthews. Pearl Jam. Bands that care about their fans.

For Love or Money, indeed. I've got my answer.

Of course they have changed, everything in this letter is spot on. Anybody who thinks they haven't changed in the past 5 years is burying their head in the ground. The big corporate machine that is U2 is full steam ahead making as much money as they can while Bono keeps on moaning about the debt, poverty & Aids in Africa while he buys another Penthouse in USA or another Holiday home in the South of France or another fast sports car. Thats the way it is, all great bands fuc# the real fans in the end!

god damn. hit the nail on the head.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there...and as for the metal credit card, you can give it to me, as i'm still waiting for my own that was promised me way back when the subscriptions first went on sale...:huh:

U2 is at fault for hiring certain management - but then all of the problems Laura discussed in that letter is really the fault of that management, not U2. That is, I highly doubt the actual members of U2 have anything to do with U2.com, tickets, lyric wars, etc.

I'm starting to wonder - perhaps it's time Paul McGuinness stepped down. He seems more concerned with #1 albums and top-grossing tours than the fans who help U2 get #1 albums and top-grossing tours.

I think your anger is justified, abeit misplaced? U2 is trying to extend their careers by appealing to a new and younger audience. It makes good business sense. And it's working. You see how many teens are on this site? It's amazing. And they don't like U2 in some "retro" or "novel" way. They like them like we like them.

What's more, I don't think the problems with the web site and the ticket sales are the fault of the band. Ultimately, Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry and Paul are responsible, but everyone screws up. I'd be surprised if they don't correct this problem. They may not even know about it!

And in that regard, thanks for writing your letter!

I just want to add my :applaud: to this letter. It's about time someone put it out there so eloquently especially when the feelings she expressed are felt by so many.

It's hard to tell where the blame goes here. Artists such as U2 have huge control over their empires, image and reputation. With this case, it's hard to tell who the real wizard behind the curtain is...where does management's influence stop and U2's begin?

I dunno. I'm not sure that my opinion of the band has weakened - but my opinion of their minions sure has.

I think that I have been very calm am understanding with all the shit until today. Today took the cake. What happened with the pre-sale was a disaster and it is unacceptable. I hope they do something... anything... to make us feel like we matter to them. We - the people who pay our hard-earned dollars, euros, yen, etc. to make them wealthy. That includes everyone involved.

Just for the record, I didn't write that letter(felt guilty for taking the applause). I thought the person's name was in there. I just found this through a friend today.

I know I should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I guess I'll comment anyway.

I was a Propaganda subscriber who only got 2 issues of the magazine, never got a letter and discounted u2.com membership. I e-mailed u2.com and fanfire for 2 months and got nowhere. Finally I sucked it up and payed the $40 on sunday. They I found out on Monday that they haven't announced a date in Minneapolis (where I live). So my only option is to go for Chicago. I wanted GA tickets and didn't get them. All this was rather disappointing.

But...

I knew what I was getting in to when I shelled out my $40. Yeah, I wasn't really interested in any of the u2.com content, but that's my problem, not the website's. The one thing I was interested in was priority ticketing. As disappointed as I was with this morning's events, the fact of the matter is that I got the priority ticketing I was promised. I can log on to ticketmaster right now and buy tickets to see U2. Everybody else has to wait until saturday when the shows may sell out and people will be left standing outside venue. I can grab a spot inside right now if I want it. That's what we were promised, along with a u2.com e-mail address, some crappy plastic card, and some bonus downloadable content. That's what we got.

I don't know if U2 has changed or not. I still see these pictures of Bono giving fans rides in his car around Dublin. I hear stories of the boys going out of their way to greet fans. It seems like they still want to connect with fans. But I can't say for sure.

I'm certainly disappointed with u2.com. I sure liked the ease with which I got tickets through Prop for the Elevation tour. But Propaganda was about the most backward organization I've ever seen, and I can't blame U2 for trying to get into the age of the interweb. Unfortunately it turned out to be a train wreck.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Hope nobody wants to strangle me for them.

-Spiral

That's a great letter - while I don't agree with all of it, it hits 99% of everything else right on the head. *sigh*

(Man, I had no idea about the Boston DVD thing. That's awful. :madspit:)

Last edited:
For the love of money, money money, money money money money money money
and the fevers getting higher!
Desire!

I am so angry at U2 today. I have never been angry at them before.
I just spent a grand total of $110 to get myself a nosebleed seat for the San Diego show. $40+70.
If I had wanted to bring a friend (Oh yeah, I did want to!) I would have had to pay 98 for each seat and we would have been BEHIND the stage.
So, 110 bucks gets me a single nosebleed seat!!!! I should have 2 tickets at that price!!!
I wish I had never signed up for U2.com. The site is a rip off.
U2.com lied to us!!!!

LPU2 said:
I think your anger is justified, abeit misplaced? U2 is trying to extend their careers by appealing to a new and younger audience. It makes good business sense. And it's working. You see how many teens are on this site?

I don't have anything against U2 getting newer, "better" fans. But they'll lose a lot of old ones...

I wish that U2 would just strip themselves of there fashion, there money, there pride, and start from scratch all over again. Forget the money, forget the #1 albums, forget all that crap that comes with being a Band. I cant say much but I wish that theyd would show us fans that money doesnt effect them, that they dont care about fancy cars, fancy houses, and all the things that money does. That they are in a band to change the world, to make a mark, to uplift us, and to give us courage and love for others. THEY NEED THAT PURPOSE AGAIN, SCREW MONEY, SCREW ALL THE CORPORATION CRAP. WHY DOES MONEY ALWAYS END UP DOING THAT TO PEOPLE, IT MAKES ME SO UPSET. WHAT U2 NEEDS TO PROVE TO US THIS TIME AROUND IS THAT THEY ARE STILL LOYAL TO THERE FANS, THAT THEY DIDNT CHANGE FOR THE MONEY, THAT THERE NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY, BUT FOR THE LOVE, FOR THE MISSION OF CHANGING PEOPLES LIVES FOR THE BETTER, not that they are the greatest rock band, selling the most records doesnt do that, but its the effect you leave on a person. PLEASE U2 COME OUT AND BE YOURSELVES, AND SCREW THE MONEY.

Princey said:
god damn. hit the nail on the head.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there...and as for the metal credit card, you can give it to me, as i'm still waiting for my own that was promised me way back when the subscriptions first went on sale...:huh:

In one of those "I don't effing believe this" moments, I actually got my keychain in the mail today. And I signed up for the site the very day it went online.

You know, that letter really makes me sad - not because of the nature of it, but because of the fact that every single word of it is true. It has just epitmoised what has been a questionable few months of fandom for me, and today's events have brought me back down to earth with a hard and heavy thud.

The magic is no longer here for me with U2. I don't think i'll be getting it back anytime soon, either. I still love the music, but the conviction of the four men who have made the music seems to have gone astray.

FUCK THE ADMINISTRATION!!!!!

FUCK THE MANAGEMENT!!!!

:mad:

:madspit:

:angry:

and I'm from Chile... no tour = no tickets = no tickets problems... :mad:

Great letter pretty much sums everything up.

I cant believe the price of the tickets that we got today I have never in my 24 years of following this band ever had to pay such amounts.

I will be emailing this to someone we know who is in daily contact with PM in Dublin it will get read!

LET US VOICE OUR OPINIONS JUST AS MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. WOULD DO IN THIS SITUATION!! UNTIL WE GET TO THE PROMISED LAND- AMEN

Why wasn't all the seating in these arenas opened up??? GA, $160 seats, everything?? Once U2.com members bought their seats, the rest could go onsale to general public. Does this not make rational sense? Those presale codes were a one shot deal. It is not like they could be used again and again.

Only small sections were opened up for this presale with the GA obviously being the smallest allottment.

There was no priority ticketing. Only a guarantee of a seat....and from the sound of it...the crappy ones (behind the stage??? nosebleeds???)

I, myself, got 2 nosebleeds to San Jose, and I will try my luck with general onsale, which is really what this whole experience felt like.

Shame on you U2.com!!!

Last edited:
well, I can see people having problems and getting angry with u2.com and ticketmaster. but what bother's me is that people are accusing the band members of something they may not have control over. we should be getting mad at PM! the promoters, the people in charge of the websites, BUT not the band. Edge, Bono, Larry and Adam (I'm sure) do everything they can for us! I'm rejoicing over the fact that the prices are low (yes, I'm saying they're low!), AND the best seats in the house are the cheapest! how would you like going to some concert where floor tickets are $200?? we should be happy that we are fans of a band that cares. they do they're best, but sometimes the best's not good enough.

In short: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!!!

While I have been somewhat defending U2's actions in the past, if there really was a wrong committed I think it would be unfair to blame "management" or the ones running the website for being incompetent. If something's not right with U2, then it IS U2. The blame should fall squarely on them because they ultimately call the shots, not their "team."

It's kinda like the abuse of Iraqi prisoners, the ones who take the heat are directly the top level people - Bush and Rumsfeld, even if they may not have been the ones to actually perpetrate the crimes.

If there was a wrong, U2 should be blamed.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom