You gonna keep defending the recent actions of U2 after reading this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It´s done mate. I put my post there :up: well, now all of you know my name, but I don´t care, it´s time to unite our feelings to change things :yes:

Peace :wave:

ah yes, another black mark on the post 2000 u2.

really people, give up on them. the letter sums it up perfectly. they're in it for the money, and that's about it.

do you REALLY think they care about you fans?! name one thing that comes to mind that sets them apart from any other bands in terms of giving back to their fans?

Their albums and their amazing live shows more than make up for all this shit to me. Maybe I'm irrational, but The music is just too good for me to give up on them. And I'm sure after I see them in Philly for the first time, I will love them even more.:)

Lancemc said:
Their albums and their amazing live shows more than make up for all this shit to me. Maybe I'm irrational, but The music is just too good for me to give up on them. And I'm sure after I see them in Philly for the first time, I will love them even more.:)

You have unconditional love for U2. I mean, you accept anything from them and receive it with a big smile on your face.

If you are like that in real life your wife must be happy. You must be loyal as a Chow Chow...

Maybe unconditional love is a good thing sometimes. I can't affort to get upset all the time.

Lancemc said:
Maybe unconditional love is a good thing sometimes. I can't affort to get upset all the time.

The trick is not to care that much. It's just music mate. You think i do get upset because i'm not too keen on post-2000 U2 and i post here complaining all the time? Not really... I care till a certain extent... But i don't get upset.

Unconditional love is good (the best) when it's directioned to the right things i guess.

For me, U2 is one of the only things I really "get into" or really get excited about, if you know what I mean. Certain people have their own things they are passionate about. Mine is U2. It's music. For me, U2 IS the right thing. If you don't care too much, that's fine, I can respect that. But realize that a lot of people are here because U2 is the one thing they really do get excited about, and that we DO have love for them and their music. That's all. Not a big deal really.

Lancemc said:
For me, U2 is one of the only things I really "get into" or really get excited about, if you know what I mean. Certain people have their own things they are passionate about. Mine is U2. It's music. For me, U2 IS the right thing. If you don't care too much, that's fine, I can respect that. But realize that a lot of people are here because U2 is the one thing they really do get excited about, and that we DO have love for them and their music. That's all. Not a big deal really.

You got me wrong mate. I love U2. U2 is one of my pride & joys 2.

But i do get upset with diseases in my family, work stuff etc. Not U2.

Lancemc said:

Wow your first U2 gig? You are in for a massive experience. But I thought from your well informed posts(hehehe) on here you were an experienced U2 follower and had seen them live countless times?

MrBrau1 said:
Also, alot of the biggest whiners in the Tour Forum got their GA and are no longer whining. Maybe the mess is getting fixed?

Damn thats too bad to hear, means we can't have a damn good argument about how U2 are ripping us all of.:wink:

MrBrau1 said:
Also, alot of the biggest whiners in the Tour Forum got their GA and are no longer whining. Maybe the mess is getting fixed?

I wish I had bitched and moaned for 12 hours, then waited till today and gotten GA tickets. Haha, things are amazing in the ways they turn out aren't they?

rjhbonovox said:

Wow your first U2 gig? You are in for a massive experience. But I thought from your well informed posts(hehehe) on here you were an experienced U2 follower and had seen them live countless times?

Yes, I know it will be massive. I can't wait. I've been following and collecting pretty much all of their music though for the past 4 years relentlessly, so I do know what I'm talking about. Maybe just not too much in the live areas or things.:)

By the way, did you get tickets yet? If so, where you going?

Lancemc said:

Yes, I know it will be massive. I can't wait. I've been following and collecting pretty much all of their music though for the past 4 years relentlessly, so I do know what I'm talking about. Maybe just not too much in the live areas or things.:)

By the way, did you get tickets yet? If so, where you going?

Nope not yet, I'm waiting for when they go on sale for plebs like me which is Friday morning. I want tickets for Manchester or Twickenham. If I don't get any then I won't be too bothered but I will be trying Friday morning. They better not be more than £50 cos I refuse to pay them rip-off merchants charging £85 and more on ebay.

rjhbonovox said:

Damn thats too bad to hear, means we can't have a damn good argument about how U2 are ripping us all of.:wink:

rjh, you are the best interferencer ever.:yes:

I saw one set of tickets going for something like 1995 USD on there. Damn good seats, but...:huh:

deltau922 said:
LMAO they picked out young pretty people to stand in the front row for the DVD? I think that's kind of funny. I also don't remember seeing any such people on the DVD.

yeah, this was a huge deal back in June 2001... people were seriously pissed off- both at the band, and at those who 'protested' by sitting during the first couple of songs (w/ their backs to the band). at one point, you can see that the back half of the heart is sitting, and larry has a look of utter disgust on his face.

i was not at that boston show, and am not sure if it was about young, pretty people, or if it was just about new faces... a lot of people (myself included) saw multiple shows on the tour, and there were rumors that the band did not like seeing the same faces up front all the time. this is confirmed a bit by what paul mcguinness wrote in "U2 Show" (he said something about fans seeing the shows again and again and not being excited, and feeling like they were owed something..). can't remember his exact words, but it's definitely interesting.

namkcuR said:
LINK HERE

The crack first started during the Elevation Tour, during the Boston Show. Die-hard fans lined up all night long to get the best General Admission in the house, right up on the stage. No one thought it was their due to have that ticket because they were the biggest fan - they bought the ticket and stood in line all day and all night to have the #1 spot. This show was a little different - it was being taped for the DVD - and right before the gates came open something happened. People came out and began picking people - pretty people, young people, to go to the front of the line. Can you imagine how that felt to the people who have been your fans for years? Who stood in line all day to get that spot? You're not good enough, not pretty enough for the video. That was the first time, to me, it was not for Love, it was for Money. You see the result of it in that DVD, when half the heart sits down for part of the show. Sour grapes? Maybe. But a betrayal from a band we trusted.

oh my... i didn't know that...

that's so dissapointing.... :(

and i felt dissapointed when i realized (again) that U2 won't come to latin america... It is pointless for me to complain about the ticket stuff : U2 won't be here :( ...

Last edited:
There's a great deal of naivete running through the band's defenders' posts here.

1. first off - the music has changed since 2000 - it has been written to appeal to EVERYBODY. It has a great deal of false passion, everything from the mix to the production to the lyrics. I like the album but it could been so much more. Do you really think the lyrics to Vertigo changed for the hell of it in the song's evolution from Native Son? NO - the deal with Apple was discussed and it was determined that the song needed a friendlier, more vague treatment. The latest album has some good songs but as an "album", it's lousy. It sounds like a mix tape by a ADD-addled kid. Vertigo to Miracle Drug ... Sometimes to Love and Peace ... ugh. They put 12 songs together without any attention paid to how the album sounds as a whole. Let down.

2. U2 is a business more than ever. U2 playing at the Super Bowl, attaching themselves to Apple, deals here, deals there. The last straw was aligning with Ticketmaster in any way shape of form. It all smacks of backroom deals and glad-handing. This was never about the fans, it was about growing the bottom line of the U2 corporation.

3. All of you defending the band for not being responsible for this latest disaster should, in my opinion, shut the fuck up. It is THEIR band and THEIR corporation. I'll bet most of you blame Bush for every little problem going on in the US. Why, then, would you give a free pass to the band? A business is led by its CEO. In this case, there is a 4 (or 5)-head CEO. A business decision was made to align with Ticketmaster. If you think that this decision was made in the fans' interests, I have a bridge to sell you.

4. Every superband who is declining in terms of talent ends up doing this. The music is the dead giveaway that we are in for a few years of decent-at-best music. Listen to the lyrics and music of Zooropa, and wonder at how much the band has changed in the last 10 years. What they once mocked, now they have become.

On the strength of the U2 albums I love, they'll always have a soft spot in my heart. But as a 33-year old marketing director, I know damn well what this "corporation" is doing and I am here to tell you you are getting shafted. To believe otherwise is naive. It's time to pay attention to my instincts here. They are telling me loud and clear that it's time to pull back from U2. Thank God for the old albums.

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
I just want to add my :applaud: to this letter. It's about time someone put it out there so eloquently especially when the feelings she expressed are felt by so many.

It's hard to tell where the blame goes here. Artists such as U2 have huge control over their empires, image and reputation. With this case, it's hard to tell who the real wizard behind the curtain is...where does management's influence stop and U2's begin?

I dunno. I'm not sure that my opinion of the band has weakened - but my opinion of their minions sure has.

Well said. :applaud:. I still love the band but I question their management skills.

On the strength of the U2 albums I love, they'll always have a soft spot in my heart. But as a 33-year old marketing director, I know damn well what this "corporation" is doing and I am here to tell you you are getting shafted. To believe otherwise is naive. It's time to pay attention to my instincts here. They are telling me loud and clear that it's time to pull back from U2. Thank God for the old albums. [/B]

Yay, pull back from U2 and take a bunch of the disgruntled with you. More room in the GA section for die hard fans who are commited and yes, fuckin fanatical. I have been fanatical about this band since 1983 and I am not ready to stop. They dont owe me a god damned thing except good music and maybe I am just getting older or something but I have enjoyed the post 2000 music, HTDAAB more than ATYLCB, but I have still been pleased. So yes, pull back, take a bunch with you. More room for me. I DO miss 1984.

U2LA said:

Yay, pull back from U2 and take a bunch of the disgruntled with you. More room in the GA section for die hard fans who are commited and yes, fuckin fanatical. I have been fanatical about this band since 1983 and I am not ready to stop. They dont owe me a god damned thing except good music and maybe I am just getting older or something but I have enjoyed the post 2000 music, HTDAAB more than ATYLCB, but I have still been pleased. So yes, pull back, take a bunch with you. More room for me. I DO miss 1984.
:up:

U2LA said:

If you're owed good music, may I suggest seeing what else is out there? It's tough to remain fanatical about the band in its current iteration when there's so much other great music out there. Nothing has topped Achtung Baby in my book but the new stuff is drowned by all the marketing pap surrounding it.

Even if I and some of the older fans pull back, what's going to take our place tenfold are people who talk throughout the shows and generally don't appreciate the band. Mark my words, the GA at a lot of these shows are going to pair the fanatical with the ignorant. I'll still gladly be in the middle of it all when my tickets arrive, but something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe you can, but I cannot separate the music from the shameless hustling for money money money. It's gotten to be too much for me.

But, hell, I'd probably do the same thing. Make as much money as I possibly can.

see my post a page or so up...

teebee said:
There's a great deal of naivete running through the band's defenders' posts here.

1. first off - the music has changed since 2000 - it has been written to appeal to EVERYBODY. It has a great deal of false passion, everything from the mix to the production to the lyrics. I like the album but it could been so much more. Do you really think the lyrics to Vertigo changed for the hell of it in the song's evolution from Native Son? NO - the deal with Apple was discussed and it was determined that the song needed a friendlier, more vague treatment. The latest album has some good songs but as an "album", it's lousy. It sounds like a mix tape by a ADD-addled kid. Vertigo to Miracle Drug ... Sometimes to Love and Peace ... ugh. They put 12 songs together without any attention paid to how the album sounds as a whole. Let down.

2. U2 is a business more than ever. U2 playing at the Super Bowl, attaching themselves to Apple, deals here, deals there. The last straw was aligning with Ticketmaster in any way shape of form. It all smacks of backroom deals and glad-handing. This was never about the fans, it was about growing the bottom line of the U2 corporation.

3. All of you defending the band for not being responsible for this latest disaster should, in my opinion, shut the fuck up. It is THEIR band and THEIR corporation. I'll bet most of you blame Bush for every little problem going on in the US. Why, then, would you give a free pass to the band? A business is led by its CEO. In this case, there is a 4 (or 5)-head CEO. A business decision was made to align with Ticketmaster. If you think that this decision was made in the fans' interests, I have a bridge to sell you.

4. Every superband who is declining in terms of talent ends up doing this. The music is the dead giveaway that we are in for a few years of decent-at-best music. Listen to the lyrics and music of Zooropa, and wonder at how much the band has changed in the last 10 years. What they once mocked, now they have become.

On the strength of the U2 albums I love, they'll always have a soft spot in my heart. But as a 33-year old marketing director, I know damn well what this "corporation" is doing and I am here to tell you you are getting shafted. To believe otherwise is naive. It's time to pay attention to my instincts here. They are telling me loud and clear that it's time to pull back from U2. Thank God for the old albums.

i posted a page or two back w/different expression but same message. vertigo was a huge disappointment for me. would they, could they...actually be losing their umph and selling out??? i have seen this coming for a while now....when all is said & done - i, too, will break out the old stuff and enjoy the hell out of it.

well said, my friend....well said.

oh...and another thing....as far as the making room for their new league of fans..........u2 can have them!!! we were thrilled & fortunate to get into the heart twice at the last tour and my husband & i were horrified at the rude, crude, immature behavior of the "new fans". these were the same fans who were singing along to "beautiful day" (they knew the words to that one - of course), but then talked & caused trouble during the older songs.

i am a solid u2 fan and voicing these opinions makes me no less.....only sadly aware of what i have seen coming for years now. if i could meet with the four of them - i would beg them to stop the madness.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom