Yet another HTDAAB preview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gorman

Refugee
The How to of U2

The Courier-Mail, October 22, 2004

Noel Mengel

You are going to be reading a lot of this in about a month, so we're getting in early: U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is going to be hailed as one of the best albums they've ever made.

Bono, for one, is most excited, and when he makes the claim "This is our first album!" it's easy to see where he's coming from.

While All That You Can't Leave Behind -– where did that four years go? -– was a wonderful record, this one finds the Edge in a very frisky mood. Wall of Edge? Tower of Edge? This time it's more like the Himalayas of Edge.

"You can never tell what he'll be into," Bono explains. "It might be keyboards. Larry will go, 'We'll never get a rock song out of him!' "

No such problems on this occasion. A sneak preview reveals 11 tracks that capture the essence of early U2 while still creating something that's vital and fresh, still with a sense of adventure.

Songs like "Miracle Drug" and "City of Blinding Lights" recall the rush of early albums Boy, October and War. "Love and Peace or Else" couldn't make itself more plain -– "Lay down your guns or else" -– before Edge's monster riffs take hold.

Others get the slow-shimmer treatment, with Larry Mullen giving his toms the full Mo Tucker Effect (that's Mo Tucker of the Velvet Underground) on "One Step Closer."

Hit singles? Loads of them, it seems, but look out for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," which starts off with acoustic guitar before kicking into gear with a super-catchy falsetto section in the chorus. Bono wrote the song after the death of his father.

Anthems? All over the shop, and the album concludes with two songs destined to be stage favourites, "Original of the Species" and "Yahweh" (which, translated from the Hebrew, is "God"). Millions will be waving their arms along with them on next year's world tour.

Did we say "world tour"? You bet. What's more, we're assured Australia is in the frame, probably for indoor shows about this time next year. About time.

The album will be released in several formats, including one with bonus DVD and tunes (including the Edge's banjo version of the new single, "Vertigo"!), and a deluxe edition with 48-page booklet, DVD and an extra track, "Fast Cars."

U2-ologists will have to be fast to treat themselves with that for Christmas, with just 15,000 being shipped in Australia.

The band continue their relationship with Apple, cutting a deal with the computer company to sell custom iPods promoting the new album.

Sources close to the group say the U2 edition of the digital music player will come preloaded with the album, along with portions of the band's 25-year catalogue.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is out on November 22.

© Queensland Newspapers, 2004.

The only thing that irks me is that reviewers keep saying that Yahweh is the Hebrew word for God. The hebrew words for God and Lord are "Adonai" and "El Shaddai." Yahweh is the assumed name for the letters YHWH (I am who I am), previously thought to be Jehovah.

/end rant

gorman said:

You are going to be reading a lot of this in about a month, so we're getting in early: U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is going to be hailed as one of the best albums they've ever made.

Enough said. Thanks Gorman!

Yes, Yahweh is not a word for God, but the name God identifies Himself as to Moses. I'm sure, Bono being the student of scripture he is, he knows this, and I can't wait to hear the song he wrote about it.

Great review, thanks gorman. I know u2 have music critics out there that love the band, but how many can they have? What is this, 30 out of 30? These show some good signs, I like Larry's drumming on OSC to Mo tucker of velvet, and its good to hear something good about "Yahweh." Can't wait to hear this album, its killing me!!!

AussieU2fanman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this will be U2's best album to date.

Thanks alot gorman!

How can anyone give such a statement with having only heard one track and a couple of poor quality clips. Anyway to judge whether it will be U2's best ever album can surely not be said until the album has been around for a couple of years. It will have to be a blinder to beat Achtung baby, Pop & The Joshua Tree which I feel in 20 years time will be known as their best albums.:wink:

I can't really say for sure, but I think this album will be my favorite U2 album. I THINK so and I don't know why. It will have a hard time beating ATYCLB or AB, though I'm confident it will beat out Pop and Zooropa. I like U2's 80's stuff alot, though not nearly as much as their 90s and 2000's stuff, so I know for a fact I'll like it better than any of their older work.

rjhbonovox said:

How can anyone give such a statement with having only heard one track and a couple of poor quality clips. Anyway to judge whether it will be U2's best ever album can surely not be said until the album has been around for a couple of years. It will have to be a blinder to beat Achtung baby, Pop & The Joshua Tree which I feel in 20 years time will be known as their best albums.:wink:

One would think it was a prediction at this stage, obviously I haven't heard the whole album. :wink:

Ok fair comment, I still say that the odds are against them making the best album they have ever made at this stage of their careers. The lead off single is not on a musical par with The Fly or Discotheque though, so that's not a good start but only time will tell.

Originally posted by rjhbonovox Ok fair comment, I still say that the odds are against them making the best album they have ever made at this stage of their careers. The lead off single is not on a musical par with The Fly or Discotheque though, so that's not a good start but only time will tell.
Since when have the odds not been against U2?! They've made a career out of defying the odds. Others' pessimism only helps to fuel their optimism, their passion, and their will to prove everyone wrong.

PS. I disagree that 'Discotheque' is better than 'Vertigo'. 'Discotheque' is arguably their worst choice for a lead-off single to date. I believe Pop's image suffered considerably because of that single and its video (not in my eyes, but in the mainstream's). But personally, I have to admit 'Discotheque' was one of my least favourite on the album. It's a single you can't even hum-along to! You can't even say this about 'Numb' (which I thought was a brilliant first single - daring, different, but still a great tune). 'Vertigo' on the other hand is pure fun, snappy, and has all the gushing trademarks that make U2 standout in the abyss of the mainstream.

rjhbonovox said:
Ok fair comment, I still say that the odds are against them making the best album they have ever made at this stage of their careers. The lead off single is not on a musical par with The Fly or Discotheque though, so that's not a good start but only time will tell.

Not fair to compare the three, as the fly is a dark poetic masterpiece and Vertigo is a bottlerocket rollercoaster ride. Discotheque is on a planet by itself. Great for different reasons.

I completely agree with the past two posts. Vertigo is as different a first choice single as "The Fly" was, for completely different reasons.

Vertigo is a rocker, with a monster riff. This is not the normal U2 fare these past few years. Also, even though the lyrics can be interpreted to mean many deep, meaningful things, this is a fun song with music that fits the fun mood. "Discotheque" was supposed to be a "fun" song, but after a few listens it began to wear on me. I love the "Pop" album, but I sometimes skip to "Mofo" when listening to that album.

I think what sad about the original comment is that it "is not on the musical par", as if every U2 song has to be a "masterpiece" or technically proficient to be a "good" song. Bollocks, I say to that. Enjoy "Vertigo" for what it is, a good, fun, rockin' song. I wish everyone would quit looking for the "Stairway" song everytime a single is released. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom