Yet another attack on Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2 addict

Acrobat
Just read this at @u2.com-

Oh, Shut Up

I've had enough of Bono, Geldof, and the rest of the rock 'n' roll whiners.

Hartford Advocate, August 31, 2005

Alistair Highet

Alice Cooper has always been more sensible than a man who sings about dead babies has any right to be. Back in 2004, Cooper was disgusted to learn that R.E.M., Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews and other pop stars were organizing a series of concerts with the aim of trying to derail the Bush campaign.

"To me, that's treason," Cooper told a press agency, "I call it treason against rock 'n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics ... If you're listening to a rock star in order to get information on who to vote for," he went on, "you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal ."

I was moved to ask the rock stars of the world to shut up, after I saw an article this week concerning a difference of opinion between Eric Clapton, and Bob Geldof (and Bono). Now, I'm not sure which of the three is more tiresome. Certainly the "legendary" Clapton is amongst the worlds most tedious "legends," but he is marginally less annoying than Bono who appears to have a boundless appetite for attention. Neither is he as irritating as Geldof, however, who inhabits a world of smug all his own.

Anyway, Clapton told the German magazine Stern that Geldof was out of line earlier this summer when he criticized a number of political leaders for not increasing their aid allotment to Africa. This was on the eve of the Live 8 concert, organized by Geldof to support debt relief in Africa.

Particularly, Geldof told Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin that he should increase that country's foreign aid budget to .7 percent of GDP from .27 percent, and that this should be announced before the G8 summit in Scotland this past June.

"What gives him the right to do that?" Clapton asked in the German magazine. "I ask myself if musicians should conduct themselves like politicians. They are only musicians. Where do they get the right to talk like that?"

Here is precisely what Geldof said of Martin on the eve of the summit: "There's no use in the prime minister coming to Scotland unless he's prepared to do this deal. Unless he's prepared he should stay home. Don't come. You're not welcome unless you're prepared to do something finally."

Bono, who has also been outspoken on debt relief, and has traveled around the world meeting with foreign leaders -- never quietly, but always in the splashiest way he can manage, sunglasses at the ready -- also expressed his irritation with Mr. Martin's inadequate foreign aid budget. "I'm not satisfied, and I'm going to kick his butt," Bono said of the prime minister.

What's amazing about both Bono and Geldof's remarks concerning a democratically elected leader of one of the world's most progressive countries, is that these are not statements about debt relief or poverty or anything like that, they are about "me." Both statement are transparently about the ego-needs of Mssrs. Geldof and Bono.

Bono is going to kick Mr. Martin's butt? I see, it's about Bono now is it? He's not satisfied and he's going to fix it? Moreover, he is enough of a peer, indeed a big brother even, of the Prime Minister, that he's going to sort him out.

And apparently it is "Sir" Bob who gets to decide who is welcome in Scotland? Though he is neither elected, nor much of a rock star, he presumes he can speak on behalf of ... I honestly can't imagine who he thinks he's speaking for. Britain? The world?

The problem with the job of rock star or movie star is that all the adulation and money and power that is thrown the star's way has a terribly distorting effect on the ego. And the ego is never satisfied. It's not enough to be a rock star, you also have to save the planet, whether you understand the planet or not, because that is how special you are.

Of course, they're entitled to their opinions. Still, as Alice Cooper says, the really revolutionary nature of rock is in the Dionysian, fun-loving, hell for leather essence of the music itself.

(c) Hartford Advocate, 2005.

:no::mad:

Alice Cooper makes a sensible comment here:up:

I found it equally grating when Geldof and Bono spoke of Paul Martin in almost personal terms. Geldof, especially, sounded like an ass - at least Bono has a sense of humor.

They opened themselves up for this type of criticism if you ask me. I am not in the "shut up and play the songs" camp completely, but they need to reign in the ego-tripping over GDP percentages...

Sicy said:
Please dont call people dumbass.

Wasn't Alice Cooper the one called a dumbass? Just curious if you are giving a warning about that.

Rock's always been mixing with the politics, and the old cliched rock star image/lifestyle has been outlived about 15 years now.

I wonder how all these critics are possessed of mind-reading capabilities so they can tell what Bono and Geldof's true inner motivations are. :rolleyes:

bsp77 said:
Wasn't Alice Cooper the one called a dumbass? Just curious if you are giving a warning about that.

Oh if that's the case, then my bad! I thought it was directed to the original poster.

You can call Alice Cooper a dumbass all you want :wink:

All these guys have a right to their opinions but the one thing that Bono brings to the table is the conviction of trying to drum up support. I mean he actually goes to Africa. I can't see anyone talking the guy down when he is just trying to make the world a better place. These guys say he has an Agenda, until that's proven they all can just kiss my arseLOL:wink:

Sorry, but who is Bob Geldof actually to tell the Canadian Prime Minister that he isn't welcome in Scotland?

Sure Bob, the world would be such a nicer place, if you were just one big dictator who could tell all of us what to do and where we were "welcome" :rolleyes:

We all know Bono is joking when he says he's "going to kick Paul Martin's butt". It's remarkably childish, though - and I do understand that some people are shaking their heads.

Why is anyone paying attention to what Alice Cooper says, he was a rock n roll clown now turned into a suburbanite golf player...I could care less.

Alice doesn't know what he's talking about Rock N Roll has been involved in politics since day one breaking down the racial separations of what was white music and black music. If it wasn't for Rock and politics mixing Alice would have never had a career and would have never been able to wear the make up and kill the chickens for censorship would have never allowed him to get signed.

YBORCITYOBL said:
All these guys have a right to their opinions but the one thing that Bono brings to the table is the conviction of trying to drum up support. I mean he actually goes to Africa. I can't see anyone talking the guy down when he is just trying to make the world a better place. These guys say he has an Agenda, until that's proven they all can just kiss my arseLOL:wink:

:applaud: Exactly. Not only does Bono talk the talk he walks the walk. he doesn't have to be doing any of this stuff but he chooses to do it. For those monkeys out there who simply think it's all about Bono(and others) doing it for personal press that's insane, especially when it concerns Bono. There is much easier ways to go about gaining the attention of the media and public and in a more "Rock n' Roll" way to boot. I've never once seen Bono speak about this issue where he came off as self absorbed. To me he's simply passionate about the issue and rightfully so. So like YBORCITYOBL said untill it's proven otherwise that Bono has a personal agenda everyone can kiss my ass also. This isn't directed at anyone in paticular but seriously what have you/we all done lately to make a difference? What's Alice Cooper done? I know Russell Crow likes to write checks and then turn a blind eye. To him that's the way to go about making a difference. IDIOT!

Re: Re: Yet another attack on Bono

Moonlit_Angel said:
:sigh:...what is so wrong with just letting people do what they want to do? If you don't want to be involved in politics, don't be! But why chastise others who do want to be involved?

Angela

Agreed!!:up: Why can't a person who is not a senator or a governor talk about politics? Politics are for everyone!!! We all should be involved!Besides I think Bono is doing a great thing he is speaking UP for the ones who do not have a voice the ones who ppl try to forget about.

Re: Re: Re: Yet another attack on Bono

Carmelu2fan said:

Agreed!!:up: Why can't a person who is not a senator or a governor talk about politics? Politics are for everyone!!! We all should be involved!Besides I think Bono is doing a great thing he is speaking UP for the ones who do not have a voice the ones who ppl try to forget about.

Exactly. It's like saying people who aren't pro athletes should stick to talking about amateur sports. Sometimes I wonder if these celebrities who slag Bono are feeling guilty that they see him putting so much time and effort into it and useing his celebrity for somthing other than showing off all his Bling Bling. I seriously don't understand it. Even if Bono was doing it purely for personal reasons, at least he's doing it, and for the people like Russell Crow who say he should just write a check and shut up about it, well by not shutting up about it he's made a huge impact on the issue by gaining world wide attention to somthing that needs it. Comments like Crow's and Coopers sound so ignorant to me. That and they come off as jealous. It's like they're pissed off that they charitable work gets overshadowed. I mean that's what charity is all about: Personal Fame!!!

Last edited:
Sicy said:
Please dont call people dumbass.

I agree, Cooper is a dumbass. Rock is about fun - and I hear tons of fun in U2's songs and in their concerts. But it can be a lot more. Way back on R&H Adam's famous made a famous quote about "rock and politics" - and I agree with it. That movie was released in 1988. Why now are these washed up people (Alice Cooper?) or flopping actors suddenly making all these comments? Seems to me that they are just trying to gain attention for themselves with this negativity. Tell me - what has rocking out on drugs ever done for anyone?

Oh, and I want to add that Bono *does* have a right to say he's going to "kick ass". The Prime Minister of Canada has no problems using Bono's celebrity to help him gain his office. So if anyone can kick the Prime Minister's ass, it is Bono. But apparently, the author of this article didn't know this. Of course, most authors don't do any homework at all, so I'm not surprised.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

Oh, and I want to add that Bono *does* have a right to say he's going to "kick ass". The Prime Minister of Canada has no problems using Bono's celebrity to help him gain his office. So if anyone can kick the Prime Minister's ass, it is Bono.

Does that mean that if I support some politician and/or vote for him, I automatically earn the right to kick his ass whenever I like? :scratch:

U2Man said:

Does that mean that if I support some politician and/or vote for him, I automatically earn the right to kick his ass whenever I like? :scratch:

If you can get through security I say go for it!!! :yes:

Oh, and the dog in your avatar is the cutest dog ever!

( :shifty: ...don't tell my Zekie dog I said that.... :ohmy: )

It's funny that the whole point of this article seems to be that rock stars shouldn't be entitled to publicly express their political opinions, but the writer of this article thinks that it's okay for Alice Cooper and Eric Clapton to publicly express their political opinions by telling Bono and Geldof to shut up and stop criticizing world leaders. Hmmm, could it be because Cooper and Clapton happen to agree with the writer?

Plus, the writer is clearly ignorant about how tongue-in-cheek Bono's comments actually were. I saw on Canadian TV the press conference with Bono and Paul Martin and Bono was smiling and joking the entire time he was discussing how Martin better do what Bono says. Martin and the reporters in attendance were also laughing. Obviously this writer simply read some of these comments out of context in the Clapton story and decided to throw together an article figuring that it would fill his column for the day so he could head to the beach or somewhere. Articles like this are typical of the half-assed, community-college-educated, research-by-google-only 'journalism' that is rampant in the United States now.

Flying FuManchu said:
Alice Cooper is awesome and a legend! He's a U2 fan too!

True. I hate people who have the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who dares to be critical of Bono.

"What? he said something bad about BONO? Kill him."

Grow up.

Back
Top Bottom