Yaweh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
this was one of the most exciting u2 songs when we were first hearing about it, and then again when we found out the tracklisting for the new album. I'm still extremely excited about this song, but judging by the NME review of the album, it doesn't seem to realyl stnad out form the rest. Either we are gonna be a bit dissappointed by this track, or NME truely is a group of ideots.

I can't formulate my opinion on something I haven't heard by hearing someone's brief review of something that they heard. So I wont know if I am dissapointed by it untilI actually hear it.

david said:
I can't formulate my opinion on something I haven't heard by hearing someone's brief review of something that they heard. So I wont know if I am dissapointed by it untilI actually hear it.

of course this is true, i'm jsut saying i was a bit dissappointed by this certain review. And wasn't it bill flanagan that said it's one of their best songs ever. If it was him, i'll believe it.

david said:

same. i won't really take these reviews seriously until i've heard the songs for myself.

i have a feeling its going to be a "Grace" type song... which, to be honest, i cant get overly excited about....

I have a feeling, and this is just speculation based on U2's history of songs chosen to closee their albums, that this song will be pretty mellow and typical of how they always close an album.

it's gonna be a u2 closer for sure, but Wake Up Dead Man is easily one of the strongest songs off POP

If it's a Grace or even Wake Up Dead Man type song I'll be pumped...from having no idea what it sounds like I'm guessing it will be an ethereal type song. I'm looking forward to it...along with all the other songs too :wink:

Love is Blindness, MLK, "40", All I Want is You, Mothers of the Disappeared, Wake Up Dead Man, and Shadows and Tall Trees.

These are 7 closers of their 10 albums to date that "rub my tummy" so to speak. Yahweh WILL be in good company. I have faith in it.

i reckon any NME review has to be taken with a pinch of salt!

i have the magazine in fron tof me - several noteworthy quotes
"NME has nothing but contempt for the notion that oldies are the goodies"

and in an REM review "critics as a rule, aren't too fond on bands of a certain age who refuse to die...(blah blah blah)... When the tally of albums reaches double figures, your number might as well be up"
as well as "(in reference to bands about for more than a decade)... a decline in usefullness that arrogance - and a fanatically loyal fanbase - can only hide for so long"

so basically, regardless of how good the music U2 or REM or anyone else who's been about for a while puts out, they're old, useless and lets replace them with a whole bunch of young "fresh" bands who sound the same and whose names all begin with "the"

i think i'll get my album review from Q thanks!

philod said:
Hello there!

I'm a first time poster here, but I got so excited by this that I left my desk at work (who really needs a job anyway when there's new U2 on the way?), went out and bought a copy straight away (I think that it comes out a day early in London anyway)......

So, here it is (although I'm afraid I have no access to a scanner, but the only picture is the new colour Anton Corbijn one anyways).....

'It's one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of the year, is set to be one of the biggest-selling and NME has heard it first: it's U2's new album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. There are only two copies in the country but we got our hands on one of them.

The album, the band's 11th studio collection, is the follow-up to 2000's 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and is an all-guns-blazing-guitar album produced by Steve Lillywhite (sp?). Because of a security lapse in the summer when a CD containing the record was lost or stolen from a photo session in France, security around the album is tight. However, NME managed to pull some strings to get a sneak preiew of an unmastered copy.

Out on November 22, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is direct, loud and often heavier than their previous album, with a couple of songs big enough to shake stadiums. The first taste will come in the form of a single, 'Vertigo', released on November 8, but until then here's NME's exclusive track-by-track guide to the record.

'Vertigo' (3:07)
The first single, and as you'd expect, it's a corker. 'Vertigo' features a riff from The Edge as big as 'Beautiful Day', perfectly complementing Bono's cries of "Feeeel!" throughout the chorus. "Hello, hello, we're in a place called vertigo", he sings. It's an anthem, probable Number One single and an electrifying opening to the album.

'Miracle Drug' (3:54)
After the punky 'Vertigo', 'Miracle Drug' is much slower but still heavy. "Want to trip inside your head/Spend the day there", Bono croons. It's a love song with tribal drums and a massive guitar-led chorus. Could be a single.

'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' (5:02)
After two all-out rock numbers, 'Sometimes....' is the first ballad. Backed by simple chiming guitar and drums reminiscent of 'Where The Streets Have No Name', Bono sings "You don't have to put up a fight/You don't always have to be right....let me take some of the punches for you tonight". The feel is a lot like REM's 'Everybody Hurts'.

'Love and Peace or Else' (4:47)
An industrial growl and host of Nine Inch Nails-style noises hide Bono's whispering intro, before the song evolves into a clapalong, glammy chorus "Give me love and peace", Bono sings. It's the first hint of his political side, with references in to "troops on the ground". A thumping bassline makes it all sound a bit like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

'City of Blinding Lights' (5:44)
The second Big Stadium moment. Pretty piano opens the song, which sounds like an updated 'With or Without You', Bono's in reflective mood, singing, "The more you see, the less you know".

'All Because of You' (3:37)
'Achtung Baby'-era guitars back one of Bono's most confessional songs ever. "I'm not broke but you can see the cracks", he sings. The lyrics suggest that he may walk the corridors of the UN, meet with Presidents and be able to call the Pope on his mobile, but sometimes he'd just like to be simple old Paul Hewson.

'A Man and a Woman' (4:25)
If the first half of the record is direct, simple rock, from here on in it gets more chilled. 'A Man and a Woman' is the last of the straight-ahead rock numbers dealing with similar themes of lost love.

'Crumbs From Your Table' (4:57)
Compared to 'Vertigo' and 'All Because of You', 'Crumbs...' is one of the more understated songs on the album. Could probably have been a B-side.

'One Step Closer' (3:50)
An ambient-sounding track their old producer Brian Eno would have been proud of is the stand-out song on the second half of 'How to Dismantle...'. Bono's dejected, or in his words has "crossed the road from hope", but is resigned to his fate. "A heart that hurts is a heart that beats", he sings. It'll be the lighters-in-the-air moment on next year's stadium tour.

'Original of the Species' (4:33)
In keeping with the calmer mood of the second half of the album, 'Original...' has subtle, cinematic strings backing a pretty piano. It builds into an epic ballad which is classic U2.

'Yahweh' (4:20)
The title is the transliteration of the Hebrew word for the name of God, so it's appropriate what the closing song is a plea for peace. "Take these hands, don't make a fist", Bono sings, "take this mouth, give it a kiss".

'Fast Cars' (bonus track)
Unlikely to appear on the UK version of the album, this track is currently slated for inclusion on the Japanese pressing only. That's a tragedy for UK U2 fans as it's by far the most exciting song here. With a distinct Middle Eastern influence in the music, it's also where the line 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' comes from. NME says: put this track on the UK album!

NME verdict:
For fans looks for that classic U2 sound, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is well worth the wait. Some strong tracks - particularly on the early part of the album - guarantee this will be a massive-selling record and will set them up for some monster live shows next year.'

My first post, but I doubt I'll ever make a more important one. My hands are shaking now....is that the excitement or the typing???

Forever a servant of the Blue Crack....

here ya go

yes, alot of the reviews are promicing, except howevr describing Crumbs as b-side material, but im sure they just didn't "get" the song upon first listen. :eyebrow:

Roland of Gilead said:
Love is Blindness, MLK, "40", All I Want is You, Mothers of the Disappeared, Wake Up Dead Man, and Shadows and Tall Trees.

These are 7 closers of their 10 albums to date that "rub my tummy" so to speak. Yahweh WILL be in good company. I have faith in it.

:up:

-> 7
i've got soul, but i'm not a soldier.

This album sounds so good... I can't wait any longer!!

"You don't have to put up a fight/You don't always have to be right....let me take some of the punches for you tonight". I love that line...

Roland of Gilead said:

They all share the distiction of being drastically different from the rest of the album they were on. Usaully each one was a nice musical experiment/departure that worked very well...hopefully Yahweh will do the same.

p.s. don't forget "The Wanderer" off of Zooropa, I actually love that song.

acctually, i rememebr the Edge saying somewhere on this forum that the instrumental piece is "buried" soemwhere in the album. so it either appears between two yet unknown songs as some sort of division in the album, or appears at the end of the album as a "hidden track" though this talk of "fast cars" makes me believe the former is more likely.

BUT, if i am wrong all together, i think you may have something going there about Crumbs.:eyebrow:

TCUFrog said:
sounds like "crumbs.." may be the instrumental. what do you guys think?

Wouldn't think so. I'm sure NME would have mentioned it's instrumental if it was. However, the instrumental could be a 'crumb'.

jsut, but wouldn't the bonus track "fast carS" have been at the end of the album? or are you saying the instrumental is after that one?

Back
Top Bottom