Yahweh vs. Yahweh(Alt. Version)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've just been listening to both and I have to say I prefer the Alternate Version, pretty easily. I just feel that it has more of a mellow vibe, almost a Zooropa-esque vibe with the guitar, which is more zingy(for lack of a better word) than the album version. Also making the Alternate Version better are the dual-layered vocals during the verses, and Edge's 'oooooh' right before Bono sings the chorus. I don't think the Alternate Version bangs itself over your head like the album version does(imo), and to me, the band just sounds like they're having more fun on the Alternate Version.

Thoughts?

I too prefer the alternate version. I like the guitarwork. The song sounds almost restrained, before it bursts into joy during the choruses. I don't know why, but I really enjoy that. And I really like the "Take these blue eyes" bit.

I love both versions of this song so much that I believe an "Edge/Banjo and Bono/Vox" version of it would kick so much ass. The album version has a very finished rock feel and the alternate version has this unfinished-like mellowness about it. Right now I prefer the album version only because I have favored listening to the alternate version for quite some time now.

This song has 2 great lives.

Album version. The build up to the climax of the song is just too disjointed in the alternate version, and the ending sounds a tad cheesy for me, can't quite figure out why.

EDIT: Alt. Version also has too many overdubs at the end as well.

I'm not a big fan of the album version, but the alt. mix has tons of potential..I like the treated vocals and the guitars sound more AB-ish, less typical U2.

i definitely prefer the alt. version. i like the raw feeling.

Sleep Over Jack said:
I'm not a big fan of the album version, but the alt. mix has tons of potential..I like the treated vocals and the guitars sound more AB-ish, less typical U2.
I feel the same way about treated vocals and the guitars sounding AB-ish.

Overall I like the alternative version much better, especially Edges guitar part when Bono sings "I'm still waiting for the dawn" :sad::yes:

We need a poll on this, or count up the votes at the end :yes:

Last edited:
Yahweh, is my favourite (by now! lol) U2's song...!

I like both versions, although, I prefer the album version. The alternate version sounds very... Coldplay-like. This must be one of the reasons U2 put aside that version and produced another one.
But I have to admit that the bridge part of the alternate version and the "oooh"'s from Edge would be nice in the album version.

I hope it rocks when they play it live!!!!:drool:

How did you guys get a hold of this alternate version? Is it a B-side?

By the way... Thanks again, namkcur.

On first listen I definitely prefer the album version. It is just more joyous, uplifting and full of hope. But I do like how the guitars sound Zooropa-esque in this version.

Zootlesque said:
How did you guys get a hold of this alternate version? Is it a B-side?

By the way... Thanks again, namkcur.

It's a track on the 'Unreleased & Rare' part of the digital box set on ITunes.

Zootlesque said:
On first listen I definitely prefer the album version. It is just more joyous, uplifting and full of hope. But I do like how the guitars sound Zooropa-esque in this version.

I think the alternate version has more hope in it...I think the more restrained nature of the emotion of the song in that version makes the impact greater, and the less in-your-face-ness of it makes it 10x better imo.

I like the "Alternate" version because of it's muscle.
I also like the "album version" because it's delicate, yet explosive.

Both are passionate and Bono's most naked and hopeful lyric ever.

I think I'd like both versions more if they didn't have the double-tracked vocal, which makes it feel slightly impersonal. If they wanted two vocals, they should've had Edge harmonize.

I'd say that the alternate version is better musically, while Bono's vocals and such are better on the album version. I think the same about the two "Sometimes..." versions. Too bad they didn't combine the best ideas from both (well, of course, they probably thought that they did).

typhoon said:
I think I'd like both versions more if they didn't have the double-tracked vocal, which makes it feel slightly impersonal. If they wanted two vocals, they should've had Edge harmonize.

I'd say that the alternate version is better musically, while Bono's vocals and such are better on the album version. I think the same about the two "Sometimes..." versions. Too bad they didn't combine the best ideas from both (well, of course, they probably thought that they did).

The double-tracked vocals are one of the improvements though o the alternate version.

namkcuR said:

It's a track on the 'Unreleased & Rare' part of the digital box set on ITunes.

Figures.

*still holding out for hard copies of box set*

Just the unreleased and rare stuff, anything that's on other albums or readily available singles they can leave out, but how about a CD box set for those who don't want an IPod or have no real interest in having one, U2 or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom