Yahweh: Instrumental

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tip on pronouncing Yahweh: it's not 'yah-way'; the second syllable is short.

I'm a few pages late but I don't care.

beli said:
so it rhymes with sea?

No, 'sea' doesn't end with an 'h' sound. It is pronounced exactly as it is written, yah-weh. I'll record myself saying it and upload it, if that will end the debate.

And on the topic of it not being able to be said, YHWH (Yahweh) is the 'abbreviation' (I think the proper term is Tetragrammation) of the name of God the Jews would not say out of reverence.

beli said:
In my head I was pronouncing it with an Aus accent lol

And I say it with an accent that sounds somewhat like someone took a New Zealand accent, combined it with an Australian accent, and threw in a touch of an English accent for the fun of it. I call it Kiwozian.

I recall that some months ago thete was an article, quoting someone who had heard some of the tracks - Bono had played them to him (I think) - and their view was that Yahweh was possibly one of U2's finest tracks - so IMO unlikely to be instrumental.

Mike

I also remember a quote saying Yahweh is one of U2's strongest songs, which doesn't seem like saying it's an instrumental.

Why do people think Miracle Drug = Yahweh? :confused:

(maybe the song won't even have the word in the lyrics, and so U2 avoids any anger)

Last edited:
StlElevation said:
its edges cousin.

cue headaches photoshopped picture.... here.

cousin.jpg

sorry i'm late
:reject:

and i do believe i already raised the question that yahweh would be instrumental in previous threads... this guy's stealing my ideas :madspit:

U2girl said:
I also remember a quote saying Yahweh is one of U2's strongest songs, which doesn't seem like saying it's an instrumental.

Why do people think Miracle Drug = Yahweh? :confused:

(maybe the song won't even have the word in the lyrics, and so U2 avoids any anger)

you are 100% right, I read it too. It said "Yahweh" (pronounced Yah-WUH) is probably their best song ever recorded....whatever that means.

p.s. the reason why people think miracle drug=yahweh is just because the 1st person to save that mp3 clip mislabeled it Yahweh when it should have been Miracle drug. Little mistake that has caused a ton of confusion.

I'm uploading a clip of myself saying "Yahweh" because I can (and I'm bored). I just hope I do it right.

This is how I've grown up pronouncing it, and how it has been said by everyone around me. I'm from New Zealand but I've lived in Australia for nearly seven years. Debate my pronunciation of the second syllable all you want, the one point that must be made is that it is most certainly not 'way'.

Attachments

• yahweh.wav
    43.1 KB
Axver said:
I'm uploading a clip of myself saying "Yahweh" because I can (and I'm bored). I just hope I do it right.

This is how I've grown up pronouncing it, and how it has been said by everyone around me. I'm from New Zealand but I've lived in Australia for nearly seven years. Debate my pronunciation of the second syllable all you want, the one point that must be made is that it is most certainly not 'way'.

the forum won't let me download it. I guess I didn't make a donation or something
:huh:

can you just confirm the pronunciation phonetically?

beli[/i] [B]PS you sound nothing like I imagined you to lol[/B][/QUOTE] Deceitful fellow said:
the forum won't let me download it. I guess I didn't make a donation or something
:huh:

can you just confirm the pronunciation phonetically?

Yeah, you need to be a Premium Member. The pronunciation is pretty easy really, just say 'weh' the way it is written, complete with short 'e' and and 'h' sound. I guess your rendering of it as 'yah-WUH' is pretty close.

Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
Axver or somebody else, email me that clip please. I wanna hear that sexy voice of yours. You are a chick right?

Think of the first half of Boy/Girl, not the second. Actually, that makes me a 'Boy/', whatever that is. Maybe I shouldn't try to be funny early in the morning.

U2girl said:

Seeing as Bono blurted out Yahweh a few hundred times at the end of Walk On on the Elevation tour, I don't think he should have any qualms about singing it a couple more times...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom