Yahweh & New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw pics in the U2 & I book ( :rockon: ) of U2 performing at a gig to raise money for a Hurricane in Jamaica I think it was, in the late 80's?

Perhaps something like that will happen in the near future....:shrug:

^ Yeah, I read something about that in U2 & I as well ... although, I don't know if the location really was Jamaica.

I also remember seeing pics of U2 in New Orleans back in '82 on a boat called 'The President'. I believe Edge also was shown standing near a street corner (named Desire) while in between gigs in New Orleans. Such a shame, they obviously loved that city alot too ... :tsk:

MsMofoGone said:
^ Yeah, I read something about that in U2 & I as well ... although, I don't know if the location really was Jamaica.

I also remember seeing pics of U2 in New Orleans back in '82 on a boat called 'The President'. I believe Edge also was shown standing near a street corner (named Desire) while in between gigs in New Orleans. Such a shame, they obviously loved that city alot too ... :tsk:

That pic is still fresh in my mind too. Tho I wondered if they had made the sign especially cos of the song :reject:

The darn book is SO heavy dont u think? I carried all the way back to the car after work yesterday....then realised id left my keys in the shop ( :rant: ) so had to carry it all the way back, get the keys, then back again.

My arm ached so much I could hardly steer after that!:ohmy:

LyricalDrug said:
Bono should mix in snippets of Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans" with "City of Blinding Lights" when the tour re-starts.

Actually, you could fit that tune into Yahweh, easily.

Convoy said:
I am kind of upset that U2 really haven't mentioned anything about this disaster considering they do so much for anywhere else and are always asking for the US for help.

I too have been perplexed 2 say the least over their slow response, compared 2 issues in the past.

The Disciple said:

I too have been perplexed 2 say the least over their slow response, compared 2 issues in the past.

Can you tell me what the hell they are meant to do, and offer a comparison to another major tragedy that occurred while they were NOT currently playing concerts?

Aardvark747 said:

That pic is still fresh in my mind too. Tho I wondered if they had made the sign especially cos of the song :reject:

Haven't you heard? Tennessee Williams wrote a book called "A streetcar named Desire" set in New Orleans, and a movie with Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh was made of it in 1951, all because of the U2 song.

U2 invented everything, you know! :yes:

Aardvark747 said:
I saw pics in the U2 & I book ( :rockon: ) of U2 performing at a gig to raise money for a Hurricane in Jamaica I think it was, in the late 80's?

Perhaps something like that will happen in the near future....:shrug:

Smile Jamaica concert, London 1988

Well said, David.

What if they did release a statement or something? Can you imagine the response from anyone who's not us?

"What the fuck are U2 doing releasing a statement? Why would we care what a rock band has to say about something like this? Idiots!"

boystupidboy said:
*waits for repeated attacks from Bono's minions *

:giggle:

But yes, U2 issuing some kind of press release or something similar would be extremely unnecessary and pompous, considering they're a freaking rock band. They make music. That's their job. Just because Bono's involved with politics and charities from time to time doesn't mean he has the right to issue a statement about the matter.

It's amazing to me that with everything going on right now, some people are hung up on what BONO has to say about it. Give me a break.

Oh my god, what's Bono's problem?! Doesn't he realize that he needs to release a statement on New Orleans?! It's obviously critical to everyone in the world to know what Bono thinks, because I don't know whether I should care or not, I need to know Bono's opinion first.

Come on people. I'm sure Bono cares, but that doesn't mean he needs to release a statement on it when he's not in the media right now, if he did he'd just be declared an attention whore, and he gets enough of that already... as for the rest of U2, who cares what they think?? :wink:

This will be the second time U2 has toured a second leg in the US after a tragedy in the US. Bizarre. I'm sure U2 will address it during the tour... I doubt they'll do the names thing like they did with 9/11, but I'm sure it will get some mention.

On a semi-unrelated note, I recorded a version of House of the Rising Sun last weekend. It sounds eerie in retrospect, though I hadn't put vocals on it, it sounds mournful to me.

Back
Top Bottom