Yahweh - alternative Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
don't know whether this already was on the forum.

i just have heard the alternative version of the great great song YAHWEH. this alternative version is so fucking beautiful, that i just can say Thank You For The Music. for me this version has a very strong Achtung Baby feeling with some of WGRYWH ingrediences. what i wanna say is that YAHWEH -both versions- is such a special song, soulful and touching. what do you think?

what are u talking about? Where can we hear that?

I love yaweh. It's becoming one of my favourites. I want to hear that.

This version is the Chris Thomas version, right?

I've always said that this is the version that will be played live, and it's going to be awesome!

i like the "take these blue eyes...make them see" part of the thomas version. thats why i think i like that version better. not sure though

Yahweh alternate is so much better it is unbeliveable. I pray this is the way it will be played live.

StlElevation said:
i like the "take these blue eyes...make them see" part of the thomas version. thats why i think i like that version better. not sure though

that line and the cool little drum intro make the alternate version better than the album one! but just juxtaposing the alternate version on the album would have been out of place. all the songs on HTDAAB have that certain "feel" to it. it's probably something to do with the recording and mastering, but they all have that HTDAAB signature sound. It's hard to explain, but i'm sure you get what i mean.

Let it be known that I believe that both versions of Yahweh are absolutely beautiful. The band are so on form with this track that it is really hard for ANY producer to screw this up.

LOVE the alt version.

Adam's best ever note - the note he hits during the chorus at "yahweeeeh, yahwee(here)eeehhh". Listen to just the bass part during the chorus and see what you think.

It goes right through my body.

i thought the alternate version was better until i listened to the album version again.

FullonEdge2 said:
This version is the Chris Thomas version, right?

I've always said that this is the version that will be played live, and it's going to be awesome!

i think it`s nelee hooper version. You can check at `The Complete U2` pdf.

I really like this version better than the album.

"Take these blue eyes
Take these blue eyes
Take these eyes and make them see"

Must say that I think the album version runs rings around the alternative. I can see why they kept it as an alternative. Good, but doesn't have the magic of the album version.

Axver said:
Must say that I think the album version runs rings around the alternative. I can see why they kept it as an alternative. Good, but doesn't have the magic of the album version.

See, I feel the opposite... actually, I think they're both magical, but the alternate...wow. Just, wow. The bass is much deeper, and there are less random effects like piano and synth...it's all guitars (mostly anyway, there's some effects hidden in there somewhere I'm sure, like at the bridge) and I love it so. I LOVE the bridge so much...take these blue eyes....take these blue eyes...take these eyes and make them see... :drool:

And you know what else I love? This is gonna sound dumb, but there's this overdubbed note that's hit twice toward the end, first at the 3:45 mark, then 4:00... and I love it oh-so-much. I also adore the drums at the end.

I sure hope this is the version played live, because...wow. It's gonna be the best closer ever... amazing. What a fucking brilliant song. U2 nailed it with this one.

AtomicBono said:

See, I feel the opposite... actually, I think they're both magical, but the alternate...wow. Just, wow. The bass is much deeper, and there are less random effects like piano and synth...it's all guitars (mostly anyway, there's some effects hidden in there somewhere I'm sure, like at the bridge) and I love it so. I LOVE the bridge so much...take these blue eyes....take these blue eyes...take these eyes and make them see... :drool:

And you know what else I love? This is gonna sound dumb, but there's this overdubbed note that's hit twice toward the end, first at the 3:45 mark, then 4:00... and I love it oh-so-much. I also adore the drums at the end.

I sure hope this is the version played live, because...wow. It's gonna be the best closer ever... amazing. What a fucking brilliant song. U2 nailed it with this one.

I absolutely totally agree. I like the album version, but it doesn't quite fit together. On the alternate, Adam's Bass glues the song together. It'll be fantastic live.

btw, when is this guy going to update his mp3 list? I'm going on memory here.

Last edited:
Gah I despise the unreleased Yahweh, it lacks musical direction and feels very jumbled together like many of the Chris Thomas cuts, notably Sometimes.

The whole buildup to Bono's "ohh oh ohh oh ohhhhhs" and Edge's doo doo doo doo doooooo guitar part is completely lost. :|

For the live version, I hope Edge uses the rhythm guitar part from the verses of the album Yahweh, and plays the melody for the chorus, seems like the best mix to me.

If Bono decided to haul out the ol' Silent Green Guitar perhaps he could play power chords or something during the chorus, the thing seemed to have notes coming out of it during the NY show.

BTW: The refrain at 2:27, I prefer the album version much better at that point. Sorry, but the production on the unreleased Yahweh makes the emotional buildup sound more like an Ashlee Simpson studio take :|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom