wtf was u2 thinking releasing fast cars instead of xanax n wine, the song is clearly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alright, maybe "nonsensical" was a bit too far, but i think Fast Cars is like Mysterious Ways. A real upbeat fun song that doesn't really need a deeper message / meaning.

Mysterious Ways is deceptive. It doesn't sound deep but it most certainly is.

XAW is completely over-rated. Personally, I think the Fast Cars chorus is MUCH superior.

So yeah, in conclusion, I've gotta completely disagree with the thread starter on this one.

It was a legal decision residing outside of the band's hands. Universal Music's legal team advised against releasing a song entitled Xanax & Wine for fear of mass litigation as a small percentage of the millions of album buyers around the world would undoubtedly try mixing the two ingredients leading to physical damage.

There's only one way to check "paulrg's" theory. I'm off to the pharmacy & the off-licence. Will report back later......

Lets call this taking one for the team.

Axver said:
Mysterious Ways is deceptive. It doesn't sound deep but it most certainly is.
Yeah, they did the song with a belly dancer during ZooTV and a snippet of "My Sweet Lord" during PopMart, and both were completely appropriate. Tell me that isn't some deep shit.

From the beggining I've loved Fast Cars. I've always regarded X&W as a little curiosity and nothing more. FC is more original, more creative, more interesting and much better!

Last edited:
Add the Eastern influence to Xanax and Wine and I think it would have been the best song from HTDAAB (besides OotS that is). I think the chorus is completely awesome. So much cooler than Fast Cars'. But Fast Cars does have that Eastern influence which makes it better.

Back
Top Bottom