wow! U2 hiphop album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snowlock said:
Prior to ATYCLB they released the redone Sweetest Thing and TGBHF, more adult contemporary milder music.

I agree with you completely, except I'd pull you up on ATYCLB. The Sweetest Thing for sure. It and even choosing to do the 80's Greatest Hits then was a strategic shot and sign that U2 were swinging back around to an older sound, and an attack back on the mainstream charts. And yes, Adult Contemporary, The Sweetest Thing being a song far far more likely to attract an older audience than a teens/twenties audience, ie their now all grown up 80's audience. That was the little reminder "Ok, so some of you didn't like what we did this decade, but remember this is what we used to be and you used to love it and we can still do it..." But the Ground Beneath Her Feet, along with Stateless, I think were more a sign of the other direction of sound that might have been post-Pop. Fork in the road and all of that. In Australia we have Ground Beneath as an extra track on the end of ATYCLB, and I can tell you it stands out like a honeymooners pecker. Like there's this U2, and then here's that U2.

I also await anything new with great interest. It is a historicaly a very good indicator.

You are also forgetting Hold Me, Thrill Me before Pop. Post-Zooropa and a heavy guitar sound was front and centre again. Definitely a sign of what came next.

Last edited:
I think the video on CNN with the post Grammy interview is very telling.

Bono admits that the last two albums haven't been their most innovative and talks how they were about songs and emotions and nothing else. Plus now they have cemented they're on top of the mainstream. That combined with the talk of hip hop production, I think we're going to see one last departure and a journey into something new.

Earnie Shavers said:

While not actually understanding your point at all about "U2 meets the dancefloor" and "a joke told for the third time", which sounds dead on the tired and overused stereotyped opinion of U2 in the 90's rather than anything actually grounded in the music or what it was actually obvious they were trying to do, I've got to hold you up on the Producer thing. Yes, production is the genuine flaw on Pop, but in this case I don't think it's the fault of the producer, but the fault of the band and the deadlines they forced upon themselves. It's an unfinished product, not a finished product that sucks. Given that fabled extra month, or by the sound of it just another week, along with a better selling of what the album is before it was released (the completely off base talk of a dance album was well circulated before the first notes of Discotheque were heard, and it then became fact, putting off many who then never even bothered to buy the thing) Pop would have done a lot better. Employing a specific producer for a specific sound seems to be some kind of major sell out thing for you. You often shoot the band down for hiring Howie as if it were them trying to buy in on a new market and nothing more. If you can't see U2's 90's direction heading directly towards Pop naturally, then I can't help you. If you can't hear within Pop the goal they were trying to hit, and that in the end they still came very fucking close, then I can't help you. If you don't understand that bands hire producers that can help them best acheive that goal then I can't help you. There is zero difference between U2 hiring Howie B for Pop than there was for them hiring Brian Eno for The Unforgettable Fire.

Let me know when you've dropped your bias - might come a big way in understanding my answer to your confusion why people didn't like Pop experimenting as opposed to AB and Zooropa, which I quoted as the "cue" for my post (don't ask the question if you don't like the answer, BTW) - and the tired "you don't get it" argument that is oh so handy for you anytime someone doesn't drool over Pop and/or 90s U2. Insulting and patronising others won't help you make your case, or repeating the same thing over and over again.

Easy tiger, I wasn't trying to be short with you. I guess I just don't 'get' why...

Achtung: fine
Zooropa: fine
Pop: Woah! Ease up boys! What the fuck is this?

Pop to me is a perfectly natural next step, or child, of what they were doing on Achtung and then Zooropa, and despite a strong belief here that it shouldn't be counted as U2 album (which is fine), Passengers is most certainly a part of that journey as well. You can't hear all three of those albums put through a blender and spawning Pop? I always think that the first 3 90's albums (including Passengers) were the real reaching out into new grounds, trying out new things individually and that Pop was the grand culminative attempt to pull it together, albeit with it's own unique sound/themes/direction etc. There is nothing actually completely new on that album at all, only newness in it's combinations.

And so they brought in a producer specifically for the sound they were trying to achieve? I keep missing the part where this is a crime, and can't fathom why you hold it against them. Every slight twist in sound has required new help, be it Eno or Flood or Howie or Chris Thomas even.

Perhaps you need to drop a bit of bias as well.... I don't use the "you don't get it" argument at all. There's nothing to "get". I know you don't really like Pop (which is fine) and don't like that they did it (which is fine) and that you love the fictional script about where it came from and why. That doesn't bother me, if anything I'm just trying to prompt you to explain a bit further, and of course my opinion is injected into that, otherwise there's nothing to discuss...

I wouldn't mind more souldful tunes like "In A Little While." Jazz would be pretty nifty, too... somthing similar to the Jools Holland "If You Wear That Velvet Dress."

Of course, some funky hip-hop beats would definately catch my interest... as long as it's done in a "U2-fashion" (by that I mean tunes that wouldn't embarass the band as seen in the media as a group desperately trying to "look cool," but end up failing miserable. I'd like to see them do it with swagger and pizazz - like they're really into hip-hop, but aren't just adding unnecessary beats for the sake of keeping up with "popular culture").

Earnie Shavers said:
Easy tiger, I wasn't trying to be short with you. I guess I just don't 'get' why...

Pop to me is a perfectly natural next step, or child, of what they were doing on Achtung and then Zooropa, and despite a strong belief here that it shouldn't be counted as U2 album (which is fine), Passengers is most certainly a part of that journey as well. You can't hear all three of those albums put through a blender and spawning Pop? I always think that the first 3 90's albums (including Passengers) were the real reaching out into new grounds, trying out new things individually and that Pop was the grand culminative attempt to pull it together, albeit with it's own unique sound/themes/direction etc. There is nothing actually completely new on that album at all, only newness in it's combinations.

And so they brought in a producer specifically for the sound they were trying to achieve? I keep missing the part where this is a crime, and can't fathom why you hold it against them. Every slight twist in sound has required new help, be it Eno or Flood or Howie or Chris Thomas even.

Perhaps you need to drop a bit of bias as well.... I don't use the "you don't get it" argument at all. There's nothing to "get". I know you don't really like Pop (which is fine) and don't like that they did it (which is fine) and that you love the fictional script about where it came from and why. That doesn't bother me, if anything I'm just trying to prompt you to explain a bit further, and of course my opinion is injected into that, otherwise there's nothing to discuss...

I don't get it: you just said Pop is the musical/thematicall logical follow-up to AB and Zooropa but you can't see how (some people) may have thought it was U2 doing the similar thing for the 3rd time in a row?
IMO U2's groove/dance implementations on AB and Zooropa feel more organic than Pop. Even better..., MW, Lemon, Some days... why did they need a DJ and using samples when their own rhythm section is perfectly capable of providing a groove, with their longtime producers?
You keep using that argument, for whole 90s period. Pop - 7 out of 12, and 8 on a good day - is in the upper half, or midway among my U2 album rankings. If liking other U2 albums over it is bias, I'm biased, I referred to the whole "this era is great and that era sucks" mentality, or "this album is not perfectly produced but it's ok" and "this album is not perfectly produced but it's a crime".
Fictional script? Just my impression, I felt that way long before I ever heard Howie B is a DJ.

doubleU said:
I think the video on CNN with the post Grammy interview is very telling.

Bono admits that the last two albums haven't been their most innovative and talks how they were about songs and emotions and nothing else. Plus now they have cemented they're on top of the mainstream. That combined with the talk of hip hop production, I think we're going to see one last departure and a journey into something new.

i hope so too, but at the same time it is Bono saying that stuff.

As a sort-of new u2 fan ("die hard" since 2001), I've come to find that out about our favorite lead singer.

He was making the BOMB sound like a hard-edge punk rock record, and one song sounded like George Michael (I love "A Man and A Woman" :wink: )

Hallucination said:
Yeah right Bono! And Vertigo/Native Son is the mother of all rock songs.:laugh:

Punk rock from the depths of Bono's warped imagination! :hyper:

I didn't read the in between 4 pages, but...

acrobatphoto said:
AP article today on Bono's red campaign launch...he says the next album will be experimenting with hip hop, and working with people like kanye west...I likey! but he also says theres no rush as they don't need the cash...

Man, talk about reading waaaaaaay too much into an article. The article only mentions that Bono admires Kanye West and the innovation of hip-hop - not that the next album will be hip hop.

GibsonGirl said:

:ohmy: :faint: :drool:

Wait, Boyzone had hits?

If teenage pop stars still yet to hit their 20th birthday can release Greatest Hits/Best Of compilations, Boyzone can release a monumental box set just for Larry's punk rockin' pleasure. :drool:

Earnie Shavers said:

Exactly.

I really dont get it either. I mean, what the hell happened to peoples perceptions of U2 between the years 1993 and 1997 for people to be so shocked/afraid/repulsed by Pop?? ...if anything, it should have been the easiest sell for them out of the whole trilogy?? ...by then, people knew to expect new things from U2, and I really do believe that Pop achieved a perfect mix of experimentation and, well, Pop......as well as could've been done.... hell it was the album that snared me as a 15 year-old who had previouslyonly been into Nirvana and REM... I've never been able to fathom why it wasn't so well received.

Im also terminally pissed off at how squemish the band are to actually defend it, as well. If anything, U2 are Pop's biggest public detractors....and yes, I know, fair enough, its their record, they can say whatever they want.....but the fact is, Pop got absolutely glowing reviews when it first came out. And even now I think it is being recognised on merit once again (Q magazine - flawed classic article), but I just WISH they would stop using it as an example of their 'low' like they feel they have to serve some sort of penance for it...

The whole thing doesnt make sense, and fine, Im not gonna go ape on the last 2 albums as is usual, they've been good, HTDAAB was definitly an improvement on ATYCLB, but it sure is interesting to think of where they might have gone after Pop had they perceived it as successful......but anyway, thats irrelevent now and it does seem like change is on the way...

..if nothing else, at the end of the day, its going to be an incredibly varied and diverse career to look back on, the most diverse ever I would say, and thats without knowing what their next, big, last change will be also...

so good stuff.

I think what happened between 1993-1997 wasn't really sudden for those who'd been long time fans of U2. Achtung Baby was a radical departure but "okay, we'll deal with it." I remember a classmate of mine coming back from the Zoo TV show complaining that they didn't do "any of the old songs." Zooropa was still more of a departure--Old fan response: "okay, really getting uncomfortable here. What are they DOING?. " Pop comes out--and you are correct, it's where the previous two albums have been headed all long. But the "old" fans the response is: WHAT?!? Are these guys ever coming back?!? It just keeps getting worse!"

I think if you discovered U2 at "Pop" it WOULD be hard to understand why so many fans didn't like it. Of course, you liked it, you wouldn't have listened to it or given the band a chance if you hadn't. You may have liked the very things that confused the "older" fans. The music--I'm not going to even to try to describe how it differed from the "classic" U2 material cause I'll probablly get attacked by bunch of posters who disagree with my description of the music. But it was different from "classic" U2. The lyrics were more doubtful, more questioning, miles from the soaring spirit of "Pride" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday." The album was basically more cynical, more world-weary, "darker" than anything they'd ever done. I mean you've got Bono actually using the "F" word in the lyrics which is miles away from saying it in concert or at a music awards show. This is not the U2 who end their shows with "Forty."

I think that's why fans had an issue. To them "Pop" was the album that was least like the U2 they thought they knew.

U2 has always had a close relationship with it's fans, and I don't know. . .I'm not real familiar with the apologetic attitude towards the album that you describe the band having. . .but if indeed they are, maybe it has to do with realizing that they'd really alienated some of their most faithful fans.

I know I was one of those fans. If they hadn't done ATYCLB I don't know if I would ever have "come back." Of course, now I've come to appreciate the U2 of the 90's. Zooropa is one of my favorite albums, and I've even come to like Pop well enough, though it will never be one of my favorites. Maybe it will never be one of the band's favorites either, though it certainly had it's moments. (I posted a description of how my appreciation of U2 developed on the Babyface forum when I first joined Interference, if you're interested. It's called The Evolution of a Fan).

At any rate, in hindsight, I like the directions they've taken. I do agree that the most recent albums are perhaps not quite as compelling, and I think it might be good for them to stretch themselves a little bit again.

macocksean, excellent analysis! :up:

maycocksean said:
I think what happened between 1993-1997 wasn't really sudden for those who'd been long time fans of U2. Achtung Baby was a radical departure but "okay, we'll deal with it." I remember a classmate of mine coming back from the Zoo TV show complaining that they didn't do "any of the old songs." Zooropa was still more of a departure--Old fan response: "okay, really getting uncomfortable here. What are they DOING?. " Pop comes out--and you are correct, it's where the previous two albums have been headed all long. But the "old" fans the response is: WHAT?!? Are these guys ever coming back?!? It just keeps getting worse!"

I think if you discovered U2 at "Pop" it WOULD be hard to understand why so many fans didn't like it. Of course, you liked it, you wouldn't have listened to it or given the band a chance if you hadn't. You may have liked the very things that confused the "older" fans. The music--I'm not going to even to try to describe how it differed from the "classic" U2 material cause I'll probablly get attacked by bunch of posters who disagree with my description of the music. But it was different from "classic" U2. The lyrics were more doubtful, more questioning, miles from the soaring spirit of "Pride" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday." The album was basically more cynical, more world-weary, "darker" than anything they'd ever done. I mean you've got Bono actually using the "F" word in the lyrics which is miles away from saying it in concert or at a music awards show. This is not the U2 who end their shows with "Forty."

The exact two reasons why I believe so many people here are obsessed with Pop:
1). They "discovered" U2 during the AB-Pop era,
AND/OR
2). Dark stuff is inheritantly cool to some people, no matter how good it really may be.

I know I was one of those fans. If they hadn't done ATYCLB I don't know if I would ever have "come back." Of course, now I've come to appreciate the U2 of the 90's. Zooropa is one of my favorite albums, and I've even come to like Pop well enough, though it will never be one of my favorites.

You're taking words right from my mouth! :wink: I had always loved AB. Zooropa now rules my world. Pop was the slowest to come around, but I enjoy it now. Still, it will never attain the lofty attention from me that some people give it.

and I think it might be good for them to stretch themselves a little bit again.

.....and I truly believe it will come.......:yes:

LemonAid said:

Exactly.

I really dont get it either. I mean, what the hell happened to peoples perceptions of U2 between the years 1993 and 1997 for people to be so shocked/afraid/repulsed by Pop?? ...if anything, it should have been the easiest sell for them out of the whole trilogy?? ...by then, people knew to expect new things from U2, and I really do believe that Pop achieved a perfect mix of experimentation and, well, Pop......as well as could've been done.... hell it was the album that snared me as a 15 year-old who had previouslyonly been into Nirvana and REM... I've never been able to fathom why it wasn't so well received.

Im also terminally pissed off at how squemish the band are to actually defend it, as well. If anything, U2 are Pop's biggest public detractors....and yes, I know, fair enough, its their record, they can say whatever they want.....but the fact is, Pop got absolutely glowing reviews when it first came out. And even now I think it is being recognised on merit once again (Q magazine - flawed classic article), but I just WISH they would stop using it as an example of their 'low' like they feel they have to serve some sort of penance for it...

The whole thing doesnt make sense, and fine, Im not gonna go ape on the last 2 albums as is usual, they've been good, HTDAAB was definitly an improvement on ATYCLB, but it sure is interesting to think of where they might have gone after Pop had they perceived it as successful......but anyway, thats irrelevent now and it does seem like change is on the way...

..if nothing else, at the end of the day, its going to be an incredibly varied and diverse career to look back on, the most diverse ever I would say, and thats without knowing what their next, big, last change will be also...

so good stuff.

:love:

I can understand why Pop would throw off classic U2 fans though (anyone who got into U2 before AB). But to me, Pop is U2. It was the first U2 album I heard and I listened to it millions of times before moving on to JT and onward. So the U2 I first fell in love with was, in fact, U2 at its most un-U2. But is it really so un-U2? Shouldn't it be accepted now as part of the U2 sound, just like AB? Sometimes I hear songs by other bands that remind me of U2 not because of a classic Edge guitar sound but because it sounds like something from Pop. Yeah, the techno-rock thing had been done before, but I think U2 put a new spin on it, just like they always do.

maycocksean, you are spot on and I completely respect that viewpoint. I say in here all the time, if With or Without You and Mofo were from two separate bands, you'd never expect a fan of one to be a fan of the other, nor should you.

For the record, I came onboard the U2 train at Rattle & Hum, although I do vaguely remember The Joshua Tree era and songs from it, they were certainly already familiar when I picked up Rattle & Hum close to its release - I think my older cousins love of U2 actually. I was 14 when Achtung Baby hit, the perfect age to get a musical kick to the head/heart. What for most kids my age at that time was Smells Like Teen Spirit/Nevermind, it was The Fly/Achtung Baby for me. Rapidly, even before Zooropa was released, I'd snapped up several more back catalogue albums, and by the time Passengers came out I was only adding to a complete collection of albums, all of which I adored. Those were real initial 'discovering music' years and I was, at the exact same time, gaining a love and appreciation for Promenade as much as Daddy's Gonna Pay. So yes, Achtung was the bait, and yes I suppose being more attuned to 90s music in general helped as well, but for me, in a way, U2 were releasing a new album every few months there and they were shifting their style and themes dramatically every time.

I guess otherwise for me it's all about what I like and listen to in music. I don't really have a favoured style or sound, but music is something that I do like to be stimulated or challenged with as much as I just 'enjoy' listening to it. Some people are like that with films, with literature, with sport/adventure, with a mix of all of them. I guess for those people that are more open to that (and I'm not suggesting that you are automatically not if you were an 80s fan that was slightly put off by the 90s stuff, at all, I just mean the substance not the surface sound weighs more to you) then you are also more likely to even encourage those changes, or give them a different airing. For me, back in 95, Passengers was initially such a challenge. That fucker was definitely initially a tough one even for the 17 year old that I was, but it was still incredibly interesting to me, and piece by piece, track by track it opened up and from there opened up whole other avenues of music I hadn't at that point explored by other artists. Initially, if I were only interested in the sound or sonic feel of it, I probably would have dumped it on its arse straight away "Where's the fucking guitar? This is U2!"

I know now that if I were an 80's fan from the beginning, following the band, that if I'd developed the same 'musical personality' I would have been more than fine with U2's shift into the 90's based simply on the themes and ideas alone, that shit excites me greatly, and even if an immediate appreciation or love of the change in music doesn't automatically follow, I far prefer artists who do that rather than stay stagnant on a sound or idea. But that is each to their own, and that can shift from band you like to other band you like. There have of course been bands whose shifts I haven't followed and I've dropped off. There's nothing wrong with a U2 fan doing the same. An album like The Joshua Tree casts a wide net, and you should never expect all of it to have followed from the last calm strings of All I Want Is You into the chaotic lightning of The Fly. Or even from the banging rock of Achtung into the electro funk of Zooropa. Or from that to the big boom of Pop. Or even to go back further in time, there are loads and loads of older people who love to declare that U2's last great album was War, and everything since is crap, who clearly hated the transition into the big sweeping vistas that followed.

It's also in that where I know that my distaste, and that of many others, over the past couple of albums shouldn't be too closely linked to the shift from say Rattle&Hum to Achtung. I don't agree that I feel the same disconnection that many others felt then or between other albums. Some of course do, they just don't like the music, they WERE born and bred 90's fans first and foremost and miss that music and those themes. I was ready with open arms to welcome U2 post-Pop. We all knew it was going to be another dramatic shift. We all knew that was going to be this 'return to roots' thing. We all knew those more 'classic' sounds were coming back. I was absolutely fine with that and couldn't wait. It's U2's journey. To me their 90s work is intricately connected to their 80s work, not some wild adventure or fling. Some seem to think it was stepping away from what they 'really' do, and that they returned to that in 2000. Bollocks. If that were the case they would have just recorded 11 Boy's by now. They were doing the exact same thing all along. I think post-2000 IS a part of that. I'm all for them allowing whatever sound from their past to resurface if it fits. I'm all for the themes to shift into joy, hope, reflection, whatever, wherever their old man heads are at. Bring it on. Beautiful Day was an almighty kick off. Perfect. See, I know it's not like R&H to AB. It's not strictly the sound, it's not strictly the theme. I'm not offended by a shift away from the 90s at all. It was due, it's refreshing, I WANTED it. And it's not on where that shift went, essentially. It's just how it's been executed I guess. U2-Lite, as they say. Diet U2. Whatever. All those things I said in another thread about what feels like it's missing now. It's not any individual part of what is there, but a sum of what is missing. I'm 110% okay with every basic ingredient of the past two albums, if they were just not so lacking in 'spirit' or whatever. The songs leave me with absolutely nothing and I hate that. It's not the shift in style or sound, it's the shift in substance.

I'm cool with whatever happens next. I think they need to be more careful with their peaks and troughs. I think it would be wise to learn from Rattle & Hum and Pop and perhaps shift an album earlier than usual. I think another very commercial pop/corporate rock album will have them way too close to Bon Jovi territory and that will lose them way more fans than any shift in sound or style or themes. There is absolutely no room in the U2 catalogue for another trilogy of the following: Vertigo/Miracle Drug/Sometimes. You know what I'm talking about, even if you disagree with my feelings about those songs. Think about where they land in classification. U2 can't afford to do that. As for what any shift is? I don't care. Experimental? Fine, love it, don't expect it to be wild, but I think we all love to hear the new and unknown from U2, I think its a big reason why all of us are fans. Pull in sounds for the past? Go for it. You own them. More broad, open, confident, hopeful music? Brilliant. Do it. Rock? Why not. Where's this fucking "Edge" album we've been promised twice now. Quieter, more thoughtful? Give it to me. Give me something for my headphones at night. Influenced by X style of music that scares the pants off half the fans in here? It shouldn't scare anyone. Have they ever REALLY fucked it up? Nope. They even do pop/corporate rock to absolute perfection. Robbie Williams can only dream of a song like Original of the Species.

In other words, bring it on. I don't care, just please, please, please swim U2 back out to the depths. Please. Stop flapping around in the shallows. Please. Edge can do better. He can play his signature guitar sounds all he wants, just let them fly, don't limit them to a quiet formulatic part in the background or a cliched launch at the end, just before the last chorus. Bono, you are currently one of the most incredibly uniquely positioned individuals of our generation. You are far more intelligent than those lyrics. Tell us what it is really like at the end of a day where you hammer a room of world leaders by day, than front the biggest band in the world by night. Frustration, excitement, hope, anger, depression. I'm sure it's all there, and I'm sure you are far more eloquent in describing it in day to day life than Vertigo or Crumbs or any of these songs come close to suggesting. Don't treat us like an extended Oprah interview. Tell us how you feel about living in a world where you it is necessary that you stoop so low as Oprah Winfrey to *sell* the idea of doing the right thing, rather than humanity being in control as it should. What kind of world do we really live in, where people need Oprah? All of you: Bring the music back in line with the message. Don't worry about charts or airplay or awards or being relevant to the kids alongside the bright shiny pop stars, hip-hoppers and MTV stars of today. You've got loads of commercial breathing space now, use it.

Earnie,

You're post pretty much captures how I feel about U2 at this point as well--you even managed to articulate some feelings that I really hadn't been able to express until now.

I also picked up U2 at AB. I was 18 and a high school senior, and like you I also rapidly picked up their back catalogue over the next year or so.

I can also appreciate your willingness to be stretched by music. I am that way with film and literature, but I've always had a harder time doing that with music. Many of the bands I came to like over the years (for example, Live) were introduced to by more adventurous friends. That reticence to explore may have contributed to my "taking longer" to appreciate Zooropa and Pop. That and I come from a pretty conservative religious background, and when I was younger all that doubt and irony was a little bit more than I could handle.

I also really agree with you that all those shifts they made really were still U2 being U2. I can see that now. The connection from Boy all the way through HTDAAB is seamless, and it's all been part of their journey. I don't even think that the 90's marked a "departure from faith" as I used to think. I think starting with AB they decided to attack those issues of the spirit from a different angle. And I can appreciate it. Maybe it's just knowing at 32 that life is a lot more complicated than I thought it was when I was 20 and all turned off by the doubt and struggle found in the 90's U2 music.

Anyway, excellent analysis. That last paragraph especially was pretty good.

One thing I would add: I agree that the most recent album is somehow missing something, but I think that over time, and repeated listening, the U2 spirit manages to shine through anyway. Songs like "Original of The Species" which I didn't even pay any attention to at first have eventually wormed their way into my subconscious.

Oh, and still one more thing: I wonder if U2 is picking up a lot of new fans with the two releases of the past five years? I think what they did with Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, AB and Pop was "reinvent" themselves in such a way that they introduced themselves to a new fan base. I'm a teacher of middle and high school students and I can tell you that U2 really isn't on their radar at all--even the ones that are not inclined to the "shallow pop" type music. To those kids, U2 is a band for "old people" like me. I think if U2 decided to stretch themselves once again on their next album they might once again access new, discerning young listeners.

Or: (using old man voice) maybe these young whippersnappers just don't appreciate good music anymore. :)

maycocksean said:

Oh, and still one more thing: I wonder if U2 is picking up a lot of new fans with the two releases of the past five years? I think what they did with Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, AB and Pop was "reinvent" themselves in such a way that they introduced themselves to a new fan base. I'm a teacher of middle and high school students and I can tell you that U2 really isn't on their radar at all--even the ones that are not inclined to the "shallow pop" type music. To those kids, U2 is a band for "old people" like me. I think if U2 decided to stretch themselves once again on their next album they might once again access new, discerning young listeners.

I think they are getting a lot of bounce-back from the 80's and 90's crowd that cast them off as 'too serious' when they were listening to Bon Jovi and the like when U2 released The Joshua Tree or were still hung up on Aeromsith and the like in 1992 when U2 were touring Zoo Tv.

Then U2 goes off into the "deep end" for those people as they are getting into Hootie and the Blowfish and the like and then later you see the resurgence of adult pop like Sheryl Crow and Jewel while U2 is fucking tranporting in a mirror ball lemon.

A total group of mainstream listeners, probably aged anywhere from 25-40, who wrote U2 off as being one thing, then saw it confirmed as they beleived U2 were disappearing up their own ass, finally had a brand of U2 that made some sense to them, as they grew older and it was much much much better than anything else they could find.

My older brother is 40 years old, he's an old 80's rocker, for the first time I ever remember (he knows I love U2), he told me "I saw them on SNL playing Vertigo and they rocked!!" He's older and very detached from fucking Van Halen types, had no clue what Zooropa and Pop, even Acthung were all about. But now, U2 makes fucking sense to him.

They are reaching the older crowd like him that gave a 'pass' to U2 when they were younger, as well as reaching several 20 somethings and as we have seen on this forum, several teenagers. It's spread out across the board, enough, maybe it doesn't have impact on the singles charts, but it does on the album charts. They have made a dent across several demographics something they might never have done before.
Perhaps, Bono means this when he speaks of relevance.

It's the same thing, a different group of people of course, that poured into the new country era in the early 90's and made Garth Brooks a near billionaire. Dissaffected rockers from the 80's who didn't "get" the new shit.

The thing is, every single one of the older crew, from REM to Aerosmith to even the Stones, none of them carry along a hardcore fanbase the size of U2's. I think it's a very 'fluid' fanbase as well. You lose a chunk of elitists with an album like ATYCLB, but you get your 'Beatle' folk back. In some form or fashion they are always there.

So to answer your question, yes I think U2 are adding fans to their fanbase, but it's not a quantifiable number, it's more about interest, passion, effort, and sheer attraction all rolled into one. The fanbase is volatile, if they made a metal record to follow up Bomb, the same cycle would turn over again, but they would lose the crowd, I initially talked about which is the heart of the adult mainstream. Maybe some of the odler crowd come back into the fold and so on. U2 are so big, I think their following defies any precendented logic about the industry of rock and roll.

The most important step is the next step.
And what determines that will be the band's goal.
Is the goal to add even more fans? Then they probably have to change again, and hopefully they have learned from past mistakes.

I dunno....something like that.

Last edited:
I agree with you DMfan. U2 haven't done a disservice by their fans. Of all the U2 fans I know outside of here, only one jumps around about the last couple of albums. The rest don't care for them all. "U2 are old now, guess that's what happens." "They're just not interesting anymore." "It's just pop music now" etc etc, all the usual. That doesn't mean they weren't all in line for Vertigo Tour tickets. Doesn't mean they don't still all name Bono as the person they'd most like to get drunk with. Doesn't mean that on any given day I can't jump into one of their cars to find an 80s or 90s U2 album blasting away. They've just politely turned their backs on their current stuff and let it go as a band that has lost it's edge and have moved onto other artists.

Let's face it. We're in the last phase of U2's career now. Sure they can keep making music forever, but reality says there's probably only a decade left, which means maybe 3 more albums max. Absolute max. They're not going to go off into their 50's and 60's and record quiet little albums of what would probably be truly brilliant music, but not attention demanding. Bono couldn't be purely a niche artist. Never. I trust that they also won't become the Rolling Stones. I think that once they can't front a stadium without it having just a hint of crapness, they're done.

That means a new phase is probably the beginning of the last. I truly think U2 still have something really great in them. I also believe that U2 can easily keep happy all of their fans at once. The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are universal albums across all of their fans. It's no fluke that they are the most criticaly acclaimed and highest selling. They absolutely demand it, you can't ever deny those albums all the praise they get. They both had hits a plenty on them. Commercial hits. They also never compromised anything about them for them to be those hits, they just demanded it. Yet the substance was as deep or deeper than anything else they've done.

A great thread we had in here was along the lines of "Are ATYCLB & HTDAAB overcorrecting for Pop?" ie had they gotten such a fright that they swung too far into the pop territory. That may or may not be how you feel, but both albums are on the far extreme end of the 'safe' scale for U2, with something like Zooropa or if you include it, definitely Passengers at the other. Smack in the middle? I'd say The Joshua Tree and Achtung. Aim for the middle boys, aim for the middle. Recent music? Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Beautiful Day - there are loads that are universally adored by all on here. The divisive songs here are either those that are seen as too far away from 'hit single' structure, or those that are seen as formulatic, plain and processed. Land them in the middle. Give them depth AND a hook.

It would be a great end to an amazing career to see all of U2's fans in under the one tent for that final phase. I don't doubt they can do it.

Earnie Shavers said:

A great thread we had in here was along the lines of "Are ATYCLB & HTDAAB overcorrecting for Pop?" ie had they gotten such a fright that they swung too far into the pop territory. That may or may not be how you feel, but both albums are on the far extreme end of the 'safe' scale for U2, with something like Zooropa or if you include it, definitely Passengers at the other. Smack in the middle? I'd say The Joshua Tree and Achtung. Aim for the middle boys, aim for the middle. Recent music? Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Beautiful Day - there are loads that are universally adored by all on here. The divisive songs here are either those that are seen as too far away from 'hit single' structure, or those that are seen as formulatic, plain and processed. Land them in the middle. Give them depth AND a hook.

It would be a great end to an amazing career to see all of U2's fans in under the one tent for that final phase. I don't doubt they can do it.

I totally agree with your whole post, and would second the notion about that thread 'overcorrecting for POP'. It really had some good stuff until the crybabies ruined it.

I also like the notion of aiming for the middle.
Don't insult your fans by being something your not, but don't be obvious. Try and go for something that is both U2 and very new at the same time. For all the freshness of ATYCLB, the change to a more song oriented sound and process, it, in my case/taste, fell flat because when you offer up songs based on hooks and melodies, with that being the vehicle for the entire song, they better be damn good. When it's a winner (BD) then it works like a champ. When it fails (Elevation/Stuck) then I think it really shines a light on the production values, the repetitive choruses, shoddy trite lyrics, cliches, musical and lyrical and so on. You can get past "mother, mother suckin rock and roll" because musically there is something going on that takes your "eye off the ball" or ear off the music, as it were.

That's how I listen to music, but I guarantee you there are 100 people who will read this and disagree. Looking for different things in the music, I suppose. U2, no matter what, have always been greater than the sum of their parts and I think they tried to equalize that formula and for some it worked and some it didn't.

They tried to make their songcraft equal to their "magic", in terms of trying to be able to write a song that could be universally played digested and adored, maybe sacrificing what Dylan? said about them, "people will remember your songs, they just won't know how to play them", maybe the best compliment U2 has ever received. A simplistic look at it, of course most of U2's music can be played quite easily then and now, but it's that X-factor, the "magic" and for that particular value that can't be replicated, the "magic" whatever we want to call it, spirit, and so on, is different things to different people. I want my U2 magic, and everyone else wants theirs. It's the only reason we even care to post. It's not like I haven't been broken hearted by U2's current incarnation, but there have been moments that remind me, it can all come back as quickly as it went. Nothing lasts forever, not ZooTv and not even this new U2.

I think all I ask for is some creative redemption. Whatever "style" it is. At this point, we've got 11 albums to chew on, but U2 have a true chance to be remarkable at a late age, I am in the minority but I think they had an amazing album brewing with Chris Thomas and fucked it up. And whatever caused this, if it's Larry or the whole gang, is the only reason I would doubt they couldn't do it again. Right now, I lean that way, but I am hopeful. Whatever they make I"ll probably like it, at least for that first month or two.

Yeah, its the 'second guess' that has me worried. Honestly I haven't heard much or most of the 1st take on The Bomb. Only Native Son, Xanax and a couple of the alternate versions. Even just in those though I can hear what might have been. The Native Son/Xanax back to back still brings a tear to my eye of barnstomping, pretty raw rock. Add to that the last minute of the album version of All Because of You, stretch that sound and energy backwards through the first 2/3 of that song, which are just utter crap as they are (and ignoring the lyrics for now) and you already have three great tracks of something very good. The style and substance are there before overthinking, overworking and overproducing have washed all the personality out. Even Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, which I don't really care for at all, you take something that is halfway between the Alt version and the album version, given just a little more of sonic something than the alt version but nowhere near as much adult contemp sugar as the album version, and then give it a place on the album as not a 'big single' but I guess kind of in that place that a song like One Step Closer holds, or Velvet Dress, or Trying To Throw - that sort of calming reflective moment that is in that last third of every U2 album, and it would work far better. A not so overproduced Crumbs can easily fit in there. Songs of the mould or sound of Stateless/Ground Beneath can slip into there, and from that there's a flow into the boom of Love and Peace.

I can just picture an album that does that. Guitar based, be it balls out rocking or more of the ballady middle range (sharing the category with things like One, Stay, Staring at the Sun) for the first chunk of the album. Easing into a middle ground with a calm song like the Alt Sometimes, which is dressed with a bit more synth/electronic sonic backing, but also with Edge's raw guitar part over it, making it a good transition song into a more post-Pop Million Dollar Hotel sound for a couple of tracks and then closing out with the Love and Peace explosion.

1) Opening Track - not a 'hit single' opener, but a thematic, "welcome to where we are" opener.
2) Xanax & Wine
3) Native Son
4) One/Stay/Staring at the Sun territory, but as those three are completely different in sound and structure, so is this.
5) A lyricaly higher quality, last minute rawness version of All Because of You (I admit I haven't heard the Alt Version of this).
6) A less over produced Crumbs, but I do like it's big sound that fills every nook of your headphones. It's like a sonic flood really.
7) Something more personal, maybe a bit more anger but not crazy rockin. In the rough veign of Gone I suppose, perhaps after Bono's frustration and anger of Crumbs its a song directed more at desperation/hopelessness on the ground of the situation he's fighting for.
8) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (the One Step Close/Velvet Dress/Trying to Throw Mix)
9) Rough veign of Million Dollar Hotel -Stateless/Ground Beneath. Little late night swooner/eargasm.
10) And another, but one that is a bit more 'open', sweeping, building naturally but definitely building. Can you imagine something from Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree put through the Million Dollar Hotel? I can. The Edge's signature guitar, with that sonic background... mmmmm....
11) Love & Peace OR ELSE motherfuckers!

That's a Bomb I'd adore. Don't read too far into teh flow of themes or whatever or tear that apart as a real tracklist. It's just an idea of path that they could take/could have taken that would still flow very well, show off all of U2's strengths, give everyone a little of what they love, still produce the tracks the band want (ie singles), still has room to explore new sounds and ideas but still gives them room to be at this stage of their careers and look backwards a bit. Making sure Bono spends more than 5 minutes writing the lyrics to each song is a given as well. Wash all the fucking cheese right out of there.

U2DMfan said:

I totally agree with your whole post, and would second the notion about that thread 'overcorrecting for POP'. It really had some good stuff until the crybabies ruined it.

:lol: :up:

Earnie Shavers said:

4) One/Stay/Staring at the Sun territory, but as those three are completely different in sound and structure, so is this.

I think Smile was getting there, but you can almost tell Bono ran out of ideas, the song as it is is full of Bonoisms, to the point where you can almost see them abandoning it because it had reached an end. That said, it has some wonderful, simple, musical moments. The kind of sweeping guitar swell in Stay is in the bit of Smile "see me...hear me now..." just majestic. A great Edge 'riff', simple and very effective, very cool. This is more representative of where I had imagined Bomb going, and they were going there.

Also I like your idea about Sometimes, somewhere between the alternate version and the album version. Knock the schmaltzy shine of the album version and add some of that deep slide Edge during the verses, rather than the plucked strings. The album version works if the build-up were better (only my opinion of course). I can take the falsetto, I have come to the conclusion that it's the verses that bore me to death. The music is terrible. The strings in the live versions sound great and add a whole backdrop of lush atmosphere, can you hear them on the album? Fuck no, barely audible.

Earnie Shavers said:

Let's face it. We're in the last phase of U2's career now. Sure they can keep making music forever, but reality says there's probably only a decade left, which means maybe 3 more albums max. Absolute max. They're not going to go off into their 50's and 60's and record quiet little albums of what would probably be truly brilliant music, but not attention demanding. Bono couldn't be purely a niche artist. Never. I trust that they also won't become the Rolling Stones. I think that once they can't front a stadium without it having just a hint of crapness, they're done.

First off, I have to confess you guys (DMfan and Earnie) are way the hell ahead of me. You guys are talking about alternate versions and B-sides I've never even heard. But I'm going to go ahead and barge my way into this rarified atmosphere of U2 knowledge and keep posting. :)

Anyway, you've both managed to hit on some of the same things I've been thinking as well. I agree, we are looking at the last phase of U2's career. Has anyone else noticed how they've aged since the Elevation tour? I made the mistake of watching the Elevation Boston DVD followed immediately by the Vertigo Chicago DVD and I was shocked. . .a bit shaken. The years had taken their toll, and through the first two songs are show I couldn't get over the hint of paunches on Edge and Bono, the postive ancientness of Adam Clayton, and then during the third track "Elevation", I realized that these guys were still kicking ass. They still had it, they still had the magic, no matter the years. They still could put on a show and capture a live audience in a way unmatched by most bands. I wish them many more years of performing at that level. . .however, if I've learned anything in life, it's that there are no guarantees. So whatever comes next could be what comes last.

It's one of the reasons I am willing to make any and all sacrifices to fly from my little rock in the Pacific to Tokyo to see these guys in April. I'm not sure when or if I'd ever get the chance to see them again.

I think U2 are at a crucial point where in ten years we'll look back and say the pinnacle of their career was the "Elevation" tour, or we'll look back and say, "Just when people thought they'd retired to Adult Contemporary World with ATYLB and HTDAAB, those guys came back and blew everyone away with the best album of their career." I hope they take the "red pill" as it were, and not stick with what's comfortable.

I will say that the last two albums haven't been that exciting, but they definitely could have been worse, much worse. They could have been "The Hands that Built America", the only U2 song that I just flat out genuinely dislike. That song felt dangerously close to self-parody--the Late Elvis in Vegas take on U2--U2 trying to sound like U2. Aweful. I pray they never do something like that again. And it got what. . .a Golden Globe. . . or Oscar. . .I can't remember. What a travesty.

I wouldn't mind hearing that mythic album that Earnie came up with.

I'm just about to go out, so can't properly reply, except to say... Did you see Gangs of New York? Hands That Built, on it's own, is a dull song, but it is a soundtrack song, and not all soundtrack songs are just singles to sell the soundtrack album where they do a shite video clip featuring poorly chopped in edits from the film (umm, Elevation) and otherwise the song has zero relevence to the film. The whole score of that film builds to that song, and it works brilliantly in the movie. Gets a definite pass from me for that.

Otherwise, I agree with your post entirely.

Personally, I'd love to see U2 make music into their 50's and 60's. Little niche stuff with Edge getting all bluesy and a scratchy voiced Bono howling away about the ills of the world. Won't happen though.

Back
Top Bottom