Wow...Acrobat/LIB connection...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I was just listening to Acrobat and Love Is Blindness and I was struck by something...you know the opening chord progression of LIB? I think Edge plays nearly the exact same chord progression on his guitar in Acrobat, starting at 'And I'd join the movement', as if it's sort of hinting about what's coming.

Just one of those 'one more reason to :drool: at Achtung' things.

I've heard people remark before that Acrobat and LIB are musically similar.

This kind of amuses me, because if Edge repeated a chord progression on two consecutive tracks today, we'd never hear the end of the bashing and complaints.

Not that I really care if Acrobat and LIB do share a chord progression, as neither song sounds the same overall to me, and they're really what makes me hold back a bit when I bash Achtung. I guess it's a bit ironic that the two songs that reduce my Achtung criticisms have a shared quality that would spark criticisms in others!

they are similar, but not the exact same

a VERY simple look:

LIB starts off one step higher and drops off further (3 steps), whereas Acrobat's 4th chord drops off 1 step.
but they end at the same place (more or less)

without getting into guitar geekdom, let's just say, you noticed a similarity which isn't that uncommon for Edge or any other guitarist who has been around for years.

was it intentional?

the fact that they are back to back either means it completely was or completely wasn't. I'd guess, these two songs are from the same tree, but I don't think it was planned like that.

Last edited:
Axver said:

This kind of amuses me, because if Edge repeated a chord progression on two consecutive tracks today, we'd never hear the end of the bashing and complaints.

Exactly. It's hilarious!!!

Actually, if U2 was writing this caliber of songs today, no one would care if there was a slight similarity in a melodic line or chord progression. Especially if the two sons in question were as different sonically as these 2 songs are.

Apparently it is not that obvious of a similarity since that album is 15 years old and I have never seen this topic discussed on this board. And those 2 songs are right next to each other on the album! Much less obvious than the similarities between 'Walk On' and CFYT. And those 2 songs aren't even on the same album!

Basically, if the songs are great and an album is great, flaws are easy to ignore and forgive (all albums have flaws). If an album is not great but mearly good or marginal, it will be picked apart and criticised becaue it is so much easier to do.

Hoodlem said:

Basically, if the songs are great and an album is great, flaws are easy to ignore and forgive (all albums have flaws). If an album is not great but mearly good or marginal, it will be picked apart and criticised becaue it is so much easier to do.
Which basically all boils down to musical opinion. One man's great album may be another mans trash. It's not fair to say that AB should not be criticized because Joe Shmoe says it's great, and then turn around and say it's alright for ATYCLB/HTDAAB to be bashed because well the songs are "marginal" "weak" etc in someones opinion. Music is relative. Each album should have equal chance of like/dislike without bias.

But like that's ever gonna happen. :wink:

It can be possible that Acrobat and Love is blindness have got the same origin. We don't exactily know what happened in Berlin in 1990, who knows, after working in it, they develloped 2 songs from the same sement.
In the "Salome tapes" there are a few tracks in which Larry is drumming with a very low-sound synthetizer, and there you really can't describe if he's practicing a kind-of-Acobat or a kind-of-LIB.

Axver said:
I've heard people remark before that Acrobat and LIB are musically similar.

Amen.

Hoodlem said:
Actually, if U2 was writing this caliber of songs today, no one would care if there was a slight similarity in a melodic line or chord progression. Especially if the two sons in question were as different sonically as these 2 songs are.

Apparently it is not that obvious of a similarity since that album is 15 years old and I have never seen this topic discussed on this board. And those 2 songs are right next to each other on the album! Much less obvious than the similarities between 'Walk On' and CFYT. And those 2 songs aren't even on the same album!

yeah...
i noticed the similarity between CFYT and walk on much easier than between Acrobat and LIB too.

Back
Top Bottom