would you like U2 to release a acoustic album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what a bomb!

Refugee
I was thinking about this the other day, we don't get many acoustics songs from them, and I don't mean b-sides like Summer Rain (which is excellent!) I was wondering how it would be recieved, maybe a album of old songs or new or maybe a mix of both! It could make to be a beautiful album but I guess we would all be saying " wow imagine if that was a full band version! awesome song! why did they record it acoustic?" lol

Yes I know first and foremost they are a rock band and I hope the new album coming out kicks ass and make my ears bleed but a acoustic one would be ideal for the quiet moments when there is nothing happening on the U2 front.

What do you think?

the band have always been against the idea of an Unplugged-esque album for some reason.

but it does sound like a cool idea. although I think if they were going for a mellower sound I'd prefer M$H type songs.

an album full of Statelesses = :up:

Zoocoustic

Jesus was a Cool Guy

I think theirs another one out there, just can't remember the name.

edited to add:

Yea, I know their not official, but pretty damn good anyway.

Last edited:
Yes if it's Unplugged (re-written songs) kind of album; no if it's a regular album.

Blue Room said:

couldn't have said it any better.

U2 doesn't need to resort to that.

if you want an unplugged album, download acoustic versions of your favorite songs and burn them on cd.

I like how they sprinkle some acoustic songs here and there but I don't think that is really U2's style. You need Larry and Adam to be heard.

An acoustic album needn't obscure the rhythm section. Think of something like Willie Nelson's Lanois-produced Teatro album (download "Everywhere I Go" from it, if you need to), which has a heavy emphasis on percussion to set the mood and a lot of Spanish-tinged acoustic strumming to accentuate it. If anything, Adam and Larry would be more important. And, as has been mentioned, something like the soundtrack to The Million Dollar Hotel can add a lot of jazz elements to their sound.

"Acoustic" doesn't have to mean just Bono and Edge. I think it could be interesting to hear them take their music in this direction; it was the direction I had hoped they'd continue in after the MDH soundtrack (so I was a bit disappointed when Eno/Lanois dropped the ball by overproducing ATYCLB).

Last edited:
U2 would never sound good in a full-album acoustic setting. Maybe a few songs here and there in live concerts but not for a full album. Why? Because Edge only plays chords in their acoustic covers, no fancy Clapton or Dave Matthews like plucking or solos. It will sound boring in an acousitc setting, so will his economical guitar playing. And if Edge will have to adapt a new style just for an acoustic setting then he won't be Edge anymore. It's the same reason why one of the greatest guitar players of all-time, Eddie Van Halen, has turned down so many acoustic session offers - it's because he wrote his songs for electric. Also, Edge relies a lot on his effects, delays, and echos to convey the mood and atmosphere of the U2 songs. Edge does this so brilliantly but it won't quite work if the guitar was acoustic.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
U2 would never sound good in a full-album acoustic setting. Maybe a few songs here and there in live concerts but not for a full album. Why? Because Edge only plays chords in their acoustic covers, no fancy Clapton or Dave Matthews like plucking or solos. It will sound boring in an acousitc setting, so will his economical guitar playing. And if Edge will have to adapt a new style just for an acoustic setting then he won't be Edge anymore. It's the same reason why one of the greatest guitar players of all-time, Eddie Van Halen, has turned down so many acoustic session offers - it's because he wrote his songs for electric. Also, Edge relies a lot on his effects, delays, and echos to convey the mood and atmosphere of the U2 songs. Edge does this so brilliantly but it won't quite work if the guitar was acoustic.

Cheers,

J

Actually I agree for the most part. But EVH has done some fantastic acoustic stuff (Spanish Fly, Little Guitars intro, 360, etc) and is quite good with that so I think he could pull it off. I dont think Edge has those kind of skills and has never claimed to. Also, EVH doesnt write alot of his stuff directly for electric guitar. In fact, alot of his music he wrote on piano and then transferred that idea to guitar.

Scarletwine said:
Jesus was a Cool Guy

People always refer to this as an acoustic compilation, but a lot of the songs on there are not really acoustic. Live doesn't always = acoustic.

I agree with Mikal, it's not worth spending time to make an acoustic album when there are plenty of great quality live downloads and B-sides available.

I'd hate an acoustic album. I like the occasional acoustic song, but not often. Give me PROPER U2, not some acoustic U2-ish thing.

well it was just a thought! Thought with it being U2 they would come up with something that you never get on the usual acoustic/unplugged stuff thats out there, I bet you if "One" was just say, for argument sake acoustic guitar and vocal we would still be hailing it a beautiful classic in its simplicity (I coming from a point of view that a acoustic "One" is the only version we have heard!)

Back
Top Bottom