Would You Like The New Album To Be Experimental? Let's Take A Vote...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was just thinking about how many hardcore U2 fans were displeased, to some extent, over U2's direction with ATYCLB (or, in some people's opinions, lack of direction). If one were to buy the argument that U2 made ATYCLB in order to gain their fan base back (after the *general* disappointment with Pop in the U.S.), do you think that U2 succeeded with this strategy? (I personally believe they made ATYCLB for themselves, first and foremost, and I do believe it IS a new direction, for them, but that's besides the point.) I know if you go strictly by the sales, they obviously have succeeded, but there's a bigger question here. It seems that many U2 fans I know, would rather see them go forward, rather than reach back as they have done, let's admit, to some extent on ATYCLB. I am beginning to believe that most U2 fans would -- at this point -- rather see U2 go forward, in fact. I wonder if U2 believe this, too? If they did, I think they could more easily concentrate on just doing what they want to do, rather than thinking about record sales and what people will buy into, rather than what people like, (as I believe there is a distinction to be made there). If U2 knew we would all support them with open arms, I wonder if they would have the power to forget what the record label/industry has to say about it. I suppose they do have to think about the contemporary market, as it all does come down to business, unfortunately. I do believe, however, that U2 has the power to dictate the market to some degree, and I'd like to believe that they've now earned that position.

Basically, the key idea of this thread is to see if YOU, the general (okay fanatical) U2 fan would like U2 to dive into HEAVY experimentation (to the same degree, say, as The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa, if not even more so). Would YOU like U2 to take another creative plunge? Would YOU like U2 to compete against the Radioheads, the Elbows, (what other body part can I throw in here?), *as well* as the rock gods of the world? A super experimental ROCK album would be great, don't you think? They could still keep the tunes, but the tunes would come out of something much more interesting. (It just so happens that that is what we might get, but that's besides the point.)

I had to edit this post, as I forgot the other side of this vote: Would you rather see U2 continue down the direction of ATYCLB -- finely tuning their songcrafting, and delving into becoming masters of the "pop" song. There is something to be said for this, aferall. U2 did reach into some rock conventions that they never really nailed before, coming up with some classic Beale-esque sounds (piano, guitar arrangements, etc), some classic soul sounds (mostly vocally), and each song was really well structured on ATYCLB.

Personally, I would like them to take what they've learned on ATYCLB -- and de-construct it. Leave out some of that obvious structure, allow it sound more fluid; allow it to become something that gives the impression that it could wonder anywhere, freely. With intensity, of course (and yes, that means lots of guitars, drums, bass, and soaring vocals
wink.gif
).

So let's take a vote!

I say...EXPERIMENT!

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 05-21-2002).]

well as long as it rocks my world you can call it what you want!!!

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Yeah, I really hope they do go more experimental with this one.

I truly believe that they made ATYCLB for themselves. People HAVE called it "safe," to a certain extent, and maybe it was, but it was great, in any case (but for me, ANY U2 album can be nothing less than great!).

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

"The band was strong on Pop. This is not a personality crisis. This is us growing into other areas. And we won't have our knuckles rapped for that. That is the very thing that is keeping us alive and the reason why, as a group, love us or hate us, we're still on an incline. It's stasis that kills you off in the end, not ambition." - Bono, 1997

------------------
I was like a two year old, wanting more....

*U2 Take Me Higher*

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 05-21-2002).]

Behind The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire and Pop are my favorite albums. When listening to the latter two, I often find myself yearning for some more experimental music and wondering what would kind of music would have been created had they stayed on either of those two paths. So, in light of this, I'd vote HELL YES!!!
smile.gif

Well, I would love to see a more experimental turn on this album. BUT - to me experimentation just for the sake of experimentation is not always good. To make records just to be different and crazy is as sickening and calculated as Britney and nsync.

this is how i have felt in recent years with Radiohead. When a band can create a masterpiece like the Bends with mindblowing, soaring songs like Fake Plastic Trees - why do they muddle around with the Kid A / Amnesiac crap.

To me they wanted to take their place in the music world as the "way out there, always pushing every concept and strange out of tune noise, experimental band" instead of just doing great songs - and the truth is that ends up selling them a ton of more records than if they just kept going on the same path.

Now some people think that those experimental/out of tune songs are great, and that's fine, to each his own. But my point is, i don't want U2 to be a band that just goes off in some strange direction just because they think they need to career-wise. I want them to make the music they really want to make and explore. I would love a little more poking in different directions like Zooropa/Pop/UF, ect... did. But hey they poked around with Blues and soul on R&H and it's my least favorite record. It's all a matter of taste and what direction they end up taking.

I love ATYCLB, but as Bono said a few months ago, it's missing a bit of the anarchist feel that has been a part of their music throughout their career. So YES - U2 - go free, play what your heart desires, let it all loose, blow us away - again
smile.gif

Experimental is not always a good thing. It can be bad, if it's not you. It's not good for a teenager to 'experiment' with drugs or sex just to be like the crowd and do something they've never done just to say they did, and 'took a chance.' It can be a wrong, and really dumb, move.

I want them to do what THEY really want to do, what is coming from their hearts, and what they feel is right without being pressured or influenced by anyone or anything!

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

I think all U2 albums have been 'experimental' in a U2 way. Some see ATYCLB as going back to their roots, however I totally disagree with that observation. That album sounds nothing like their previous albums, it just so happens that this time round they experimented with pop music. It's still new for U2, as has been every album they have done in the past.
I don't see their approach with this new album being any different. The end result will be something new for U2 and therefore, if you want to use the word- experimental. I really don't think when U2 create new songs they go in there with a premeditated plan to be different. They just have that ability naturally. ATYCLB is still different than mainstream pop, it's just super listener friendly. IMO, that doesn't make it unexperimental or any less of a masterpiece as their previous albums.

My vote is just for good music that's got soul, heart and emotion. All U2 albums have had that in the past and I believe this next one will too. I hope to hell they don't pull a 'Radiohead', but to each his own. I am sure I will like and appreciate anything U2 creates, unless they experiment with Rap or Country, it's all good.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Steal me, deal me, anyway you heal me
Maim me, tame me, you can never change me
Love me, like me, come ahead and fight me
Please me, tease me, go ahead and leave me..."

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 05-21-2002).]

anything but another ATYCLB (which I love but has gone down the ladder of my love to somewhere just above unforgettable fire)

Also, I dearly love Kida and amnesiac

end.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

ATYCLB was boring. Between the soaring guitars and euphoric choruses, everything was in place, but it was boring. I'd like something substantial this time.

Originally posted by Angel:
I think all U2 albums have been 'experimental' in a U2 way. Some see ATYCLB as going back to their roots, however I totally disagree with that observation. That album sounds nothing like their previous albums, it just so happens that this time round they experimented with pop music. It's still new for U2, as has been every album they have done in the past.
I don't see their approach with this new album being any different. The end result will be something new for U2 and therefore, if you want to use the word- experimental. I really don't think when U2 create new songs they go in there with a premeditated plan to be different. They just have that ability naturally. ATYCLB is still different than mainstream pop, it's just super listener friendly. IMO, that doesn't make it unexperimental or any less of a masterpiece as their previous albums.

My vote is just for good music that's got soul, heart and emotion. All U2 albums have had that in the past and I believe this next one will too. I hope to hell they don't pull a 'Radiohead', but to each his own. I am sure I will like and appreciate anything U2 creates, unless they experiment with Rap or Country, it's all good.
biggrin.gif

Angel,

I agree with everything you've written in your post. I just wanted to clarify that when I said U2 were reaching back a bit on ATYCLB, I meant with some of the ideas they employed (ie, the guitar riff, and soaring vocals of 'Beautiful Day' and 'Walk On'; the brash dance/rock sound of Elevation, which sounds much like a poppier version of something from the Pop album; the Achtung Baby-esque rhythem and guitar of 'When I Look At The World' mixed with some sounds similar to those used in 'The Unforgettable Fire'; some of the sounds of 'Exit' and the spaceyness of 'Unforgettable Fire' in a song like 'New York').

So, what I mean is, there was a bit of a reaching back to some of those ideas, but overall, I totally agree with you that ATYCLB is much more of a poppy album than anything U2 have ever released before, and for the most part is totally new territory for them. 'Stuck In A Moment' and 'Wild Honey' are probably the finest pop songs they've ever written. These two songs, incidently, sound the most "new" (to U2) out of anything on ATYCLB.

I suppose that is really what I'm driving at -- that ATYCLB is new territory, but only for U2. On their previous records, I really got the feeling that no one had released an album full songs that sounded the same way. ATYCLB, however, reminds many people of all sorts of greats -- from the Beatles to John Lennon ('Wild Honey'; 'Peace On Earth'), to Van Morrison and Otis Redding ('Stuck In A Moment'; 'In A Little While').

Put another way, one of these two things (or both) can be said about pretty much every song on ATYCLB: 1) "It reminds me of this or that song, by this or that artist," or 2) "It reminds me of this or that song by U2". I think that's the difference between the experimentation found on ATYCLB and the experimentation found on pretty much every other U2 record (with the exception of R&H). Still a great record (one of my favoutites), but there is really no new territory that hasn't been covered by either U2 or someone else. And I'm sure that they wanted it that way, so it's really a mute point! Kind of funny that we're all having this discussion, haha.
smile.gif
To me, it's a U2 fan record (U2 being the fans this time), celebrating classic soul and rock, while at the same time delivering a heart-warming soul record in that process.

And to everyone who wants U2 to experiment only if that's what they feel they want to do:

I totally agree. It has to come from within, otherwise it won't be sincere. True art comes from within, and I don't think U2 has ever not done this, anyway.

------------------
The Tempest

a few months ago didn't Bono/Edge say something about they would like to make a "guitar" album? i think i remember something about this.

------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." -REDEMPTION SONG/Bob Marley

I don't personally think that U2 have ever been an experimental band. You listen to stuff they've done in the 90s, it may be unique and unusual, but I wouldn't call it experimental. I don't really think you can really call it commercial, because you mess around in a studio coming up with as many weird fucked up sounds that sound like they come from another place until the cows come home, but if your still using diatonics chords systems with barely any chromaticism, then I wouldn't call taht experimental. I'm sure a lto of people would disagree, but that's jsut how I feel.

Passengers was bordering on being experimental.

I think it would be interesting if U2 started exploring more diverse styles and musical devices. For example, if U2 started using quartertones in their music - hard to do on a guitar, but Edge could get one specially made. Or they could try some minimalism (getting close to that with Numb), some atonalism, or even Serialism. However, I don't think that that is what U2 fans would like to see U2 do. I think if they tried to stuff like that, it could be lost on their firmly established fan base.

Don't know people insist on calling Kid-A + Amnesiac experimental. Listening to Pablo Honey, there is so weird stuff on that. Kid-A and Amnesiac - there are some fairly experimental songs, like the National Anthem, Life in a Glass House, Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box, Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, In Limbo, but to quote Thom Yorke "Its not rocket science." These songs - they aren't doing anything that hasn't been done. Their just doing something that hasn't been done on a record that gets to Nunber one in the charts. And loads of the songs on their - they're no more experimental than half the stuff on OK computer. Morning Bell, for example, I might be Wrong, You and Whose Army, Pyramid Song, How to Disappear completely, Motion Picture Soundtrack.

I like U2 for what they have done - If I wanted them to go all atonal + minimalist, I would just listen to Minimalist music instead. That's not to say they shouldn't learn from what other people have done.

I think ATYCLB has been their most gut-less diluted record ever. That's not to say its their worst - there are some great tunes on their, and some really heavy, personal stuff on their (Kite, Peace on Earth), then there is some very trivial poppy stuff on it too (Elevation, Wild Honey). Don't get me wrong they're good tunes, and I like listening to them, and they work really well on the stage, but as an album it is definitely lacking character.

I think that if U2 did make that record to branch out into un un-tapped area of fans, and possibly win back some of the fans they lost in the 90s, they're in the position now where they've got the popularity, they've got the safety net, and they can afford to take risks. I think if they don't do something daring, they will become in danger of growing Stagnant. Re-invention has always been what U2 is about.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Yet another thoughtful well writen post by Michael Griffiths, Keep up the good work cowboy!

And i also agree with u experiment! That will prob mean more work for The edge but i think he can handle it...

What is experimental though? I disagree with many of the stereotypes that are thrown in about what album is and is not experimental. In my view the band experiments with every release. The band has always done what they want to do, and have the impulse to do more of what they want now since they are massivly rich. The temptation to do something for sales or to fit the times was much greater in the early 80s when the band had yet to make a dime off their efforts. They didn't then and they certainly do not now. As the Edge has has said recently, every U2 album is different. ATYCLB happens to be Edge's second favorite U2 album.

I hope the band will continue to create and record music in the way they have done for the past 10 albums. U2 has such a large fanbase now that no matter what album they put out next, it will be savaged by a certain portion of the fanbase. I feel that on ATYCLB the band did a lot of things they had never really done musically before. I hope the band will continue to experiment, just like on every album they have put out to date.

I'd rather it not be experimental, if experimental means Pop and Zooropa. Those are both great U2 albums, but I'd rather it be not experimental and just damned good songs & music!

Since I enjoy U2's more "dark" musique - I'm gonna have to go with experimental.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Back
Top Bottom