Would U2 go back into the studio right after a year-long tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Assuming U2 plays a fourth leg somewhere in the beginning of 2006, what are the chances they will want to go back into the studio right away?

If they want to get another album out buy 2007 (2006 is impossible) they would most likely have to start recording soon after the Vertigo tour ends.

I see two possible conditions for after the tour.

1. The band decides to take a few months off to spend with their families and pursue their other interests. This might take up to 5 or 6 months depending on how they feel.

2. Riding off the excitement of a highly successful album and sold-out world tour, the band decides they want to use that momentum to start working on a new project right away, and immediately dive into the studio.

Maybe there's a third likely option where they do take some time off, but slowly start playing around in the studio as well until they decide to pursue another album.

Of course, personally I'd like for number 2 to be the case, but you never know.

Well, considering the fact that U2 goes for option #2 most of the time, I think they immediately dive into the studio. Not that that guarantees an album very soon (see Popmart Tour -> ATYCLB & Elevation Tour -> HTDAAB).

With all the Edge/Bono/Adam/Lillywhite talk about the next album, Mercy being kept off and the third Best of, I could imagine something like this:

- U2 plays Australia/New Zealand/Japan January/February 2006
- in March/April they go to South America and Mexico

Then they have a break and start working on the follow-up to Bomb in September 2006, coming out in late 2007/early 2008.

Lancemc said:

If they want to get another album out buy 2007 (2006 is impossible) they would most likely have to start recording soon after the Vertigo tour ends.

2006 is not impossible. Unlikely, but they could pull another Zooropa. They have a month between Europe and the US tours and probably another month or two before the fourth leg. It is possible for them to have in album out around the middle of 2006.

Re: Re: Would U2 go back into the studio right after a year-long tour?

bsp77 said:

2006 is not impossible. Unlikely, but they could pull another Zooropa. They have a month between Europe and the US tours and probably another month or two before the fourth leg. It is possible for them to have in album out around the middle of 2006.

How about 'highly' unlikely..

IMO the main reason a new zooropa isn't going to happen this time round is because ZOO TV, inspired creativity on a level that I don't believe this tour has.

In fact I think popmart had a more abstract and creative theme than the vertigo tour, and if pop the album hadn't been such cock-up in production, we might have seen an album a lot quicker than ATYCLB.

This tour was more to do with the political message of Africa and cultural tolerance, so I suppose we could end up with an album-esque on that theme, although it's not something that I think the whole band would be comfortable with.

Personally I think they'll bide their time and wait till the tour is over

Of course I'd be happy to be proved wrong nevethless!
:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Would U2 go back into the studio right after a year-long tour?

Ellay said:

How about 'highly' unlikely..

IMO the main reason a new zooropa isn't going to happen this time round is because ZOO TV, inspired creativity on a level that I don't believe this tour has.

In fact I think popmart had a more abstract and creative theme than the vertigo tour, and if pop the album hadn't been such cock-up in production, we might have seen an album a lot quicker than ATYCLB.

This tour was more to do with the political message of Africa and cultural tolerance, so I suppose we could end up with an album-esque on that theme, although it's not something that I think the whole band would be comfortable with.

Personally I think they'll bide their time and wait till the tour is over

Of course I'd be happy to be proved wrong nevethless!
:wink:

I agree completely. I seriously doubt they will release anything in 2006. I just don't like words like 'impossible' and 'never'.

I think it would be unlikely considering Bono would use the time off to continue campaigning for third world debt. When they did Zooropa they really had little else to amuse them... you could say they have a bit more to focus on these days.

I think they will go straight to the studio when the tour end but that doesn't mean that they will deliver the album soon. I don't think they will. They will probably take their time either during the making of the album or at the end of it to stay with their families. I think it's possible for an album at the end of 2007 depending on when this Tour will end. I wish they started working on songs now. I mean they are on the road, they got all that energy, they are really tight as a band and are definitely playing really well.

In their last tour Metallica would spend an hour or more before every show jamming on a room in the stadium/arena and they would record it. A lot of their new album will come out of that. U2 should try and do the same. Maybe this way they could get to the studio with a lot of songs semi-finished or almost done.

I think if the rumors are true and they're heading back to the US for an outdoor summer tour; they'll do it with some new material. We might be looking at another Zooropa type release

I also think that if they're going back to US and Europe we might a quick EP, if not an album.

Ye U2 might do another Wide Awake In America, but last time the tried a EP they made Zooropa, so never know. 2007 is my quess maybe 2008.

I thought Bono, Edge, and Adam were all dropping hints that they had a bunch of left over songs (ie, Mercy) from the HTDAAB sessions and that they were planning to release em in 2006. Whatever happened to that?

boosterjuice said:
I thought Bono, Edge, and Adam were all dropping hints that they had a bunch of left over songs (ie, Mercy) from the HTDAAB sessions and that they were planning to release em in 2006. Whatever happened to that?

they said the same thing after ATYCLB too

actually i would like another album even without a tour, i woudn't see any problem........................but the guys will give us some new stuff in 2008.......i guess so, middle/fall 2008= 2009 tour

Boosterjuice: yes, Bono, Edge and Lillywhite (he mentioned some songs) talked about a new album - Bono and Edge both said "soon". Not sure if Adam said anything more specific other than they have another album in them.

Last edited:
In fact, I think they'll take a couple months off after their NA leg and then start in the studio again.

U2 would need to do the following in order to come out with a new album sooner:

1. Have Steve Lillywhite in the studio from the beginning, and not wait a year through recording until he comes in.

2. Have Bono stop blowing off the band with his politics crap. I think what he's doing is great, but it'd be wonderful if he showed up when the band expected him to. Maybe give the band some warning when he plans to be gone.

3. Finished the tour on a high note. They're not gonna start recording any time soon if they're frustrated or upset with themselves. I hope the last few shows go well, it'll give the band confidence and hopefully they'll want to write new stuff.

Also I think you guys forgot what they did after ATYCLB. We had Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America. Even if we don't have a new album, I think we can expect some new songs early next year possibly. Star Struck was an outtake of HTDAAB that's never been heard, and Mercy of course. There's also the song called "North Star" that Lillywhite mentioned...

the tourist said:
In fact, I think they'll take a couple months off after their NA leg and then start in the studio again.

It's almost a month 'til the 3rd leg. Might be in the studio in a week or two possibly...?

I really want to hear that Dr. Dre track...that sounds like a trip right there

This is U2 circa 2005. With everything that means in regards to how they spend their time and their manufacturing, sorry, recording process you are realisticaly looking at 2 years minimum from the last note of the last concert of the last leg of the tour to the opening note of a new album in your cd player. We can all cross our fingers for something quicker, there's no reason in the world why they can't do it except for their own habits, but it's about as likely as them finishing that concert with Acrobat and following it with Passengers II at this point.

I feel kinda bad saying this, but honestly think alot of you are being way too idealistic. This U2 We're talking about. I don't think we're gonna be getting a new album until at least 2007, probably 2008. I don't care what the members are saying! This is U2!! They take forever!

I think that U2 may not survive another four years between albums. They need to put out three more by 2010 to grab peoples' attention and keep it. Even if that means the tours have to shorten. Maybe they should shorten the tour but play stadiums again. Or bigger.

the longer they take the more disappointed the fans will be when the album will come out!! look what happened with htdaab, they took their sweet time and when it came out we were like "so it took so long to make 11 adult contemporary songs" give me a break, give me one month and ill give you better songs !!lol

I'm not holding my breath for their new album(iv learned my lesson)

Back
Top Bottom