Would U2 continue as a band with a different lineup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Just wondering if they have ever commented on this...if, hypothetically speaking, one of the members decided he was hanging it up, whether or not they found the right replacement, would they continue? Or have they ever said anything to the effect that if one person quit they'd stop being a band?

Just curious - I have no real reason to suspect anything, but looking at bands like REM, Pearl Jam, and others who have continued despite changes to their lineup makes me wonder...what would U2 do?

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 09-10-2001).]

i think they've actually commented on this before (in Flanagan's "U2 at the End of the World", to be specific). i'm pretty sure that almost all of the members are on the record as saying that the band would not, or COULD not, go on if one of the members dropped out (i think this was said in relation to adam missing the australian concert). i think that if one of the members wanted to quit (i've heard rumors that larry has been threatening to do this lately), the band would decide to bring U2 to an end. in my opinion, that seems like the right thing to do. that being said, i think that they would all continue to be involved in the music industry in some way- at least bono and edge definitely would.

hey Ally...where did you get the Larry rumours from. Stuff like that always makes me erm...(no pun intended) edgy.

I don't believe they would continue as U2 if any one of them left and to be honest, I don't think I would want them to.

IMHO, its the mix of the four of them that makes U2, U2.

Take one element out of the equation and it doesn't add up.

on one hand, i agree that they wouldn't do it because it wouldn't be the same.

on the other hand, surely the band can survive leaving of a band member. just look at REM-aren't U2 just as strong to continue with less members?

50/50, if you ask me.

------------------
"the beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart"
- Carson Daly, introducing U2

the goal is soul

"be uncool, yes be awkward"

This sort of reminds me of the thoughts I had on the same subject not too long ago.

When you take 4 guys who have been together for 25+ years, and suddenly one of them takes off, it wouldn't be the same. I can't imagine U2 being U2 without any of them.

U2 wouldn't be U2 without Bono's singing,
U2 wouldn't be U2 without the Edge's signature guitar sound,
U2 wouldn't be U2 without Larry's drumming,
and U2 wouldn't be U2 without Adam at bass.

Take one away, and in my opinion, it's not U2 any more...it would be a band doing U2 cover songs. Maybe that's a little extreme, but it definately would not be the same.

I've been a fan of U2 since junior high, and I have always admired the way they stuck by each other when they were going through really rough times. They definately had their difficult times, especially when they were trying to find their direction as to what they wanted to do musically. Like Larry has said, and as the Edge has stated, their friendship is based on very deep things.
It's a rarity to find a band who has stayed together that long with the original members,
and who are genuinely good friends.

U2 has always been more than just a band, they're a group of high school friends who are doing what they dreamed of. I think that's what sets U2 apart from any other band I like.

I can't think of any other bands other than U2 and Rush (even though Niel wasn't originally the drummer, he's the one who has been with them for 20 or more years) who have gone that long with the same members who are either a. all living, b. on speaking terms with one another, or c. are still active with the original line up. Any others?

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

[This message has been edited by SIK (edited 09-10-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
on one hand, i agree that they wouldn't do it because it wouldn't be the same.

on the other hand, surely the band can survive leaving of a band member. just look at REM-aren't U2 just as strong to continue with less members?

50/50, if you ask me.

I think how a member chooses to leave will make an impact on whether the band will survive. For example, if a member dropped out due to illness, as was the situation with REM, then U2 may continue to honor that band member. However, if a member chose to leave because he felt it was just time to end the band, then the other members may also feel that the time has come to move on as well.

Personally, I feel that U2 won't quit just yet. The enormous success of ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour shows that they still are in-demand. I believe U2 will release at least 2 more albums before deciding if they have had enough. I could also envision U2 releasing an album or two with no tour (or limited tour) before ending U2.

I've heard them say "U2 as it is could not continue" if one of them left. So, my bet is if Adam or Larry left, the other would possibly toss it in, but I can still see Edge and Bono making music together on and off, while doing other shit, but it wouldn't be under the name 'U2'.
Maybe 'Us2'?

I would really hope that they would call it quits if one of them decided to leave the band. I dont think I could ever look at thier music the same if one of them was replaced. That's one of their key aspects I feel, the fact that they are best friends as well as never having a band member change.. it makes the music that much more special and meaningful.

Sad thoughts... lets not think about it!

biggrin.gif

------------------
The Chairs Are All Stacked
The Swinging's Stopped Swinging

Sicy's Website

hey bonovation-

i agree with you about the band continuing if one of the members left... it jsut wouldn't be the same.
frown.gif

i'm not sure exactly where i heard the larry rumor- it was either when i was waiting in line in london, or when i was at the first slane show. someone told me that he really didn't want to go on tour this time around- that the rest of the band *really* had to convince him to do it, and that he's basically in it for the money now. but who knows where the heck the rumor got started, or if there's any truth to it. i hope there isn't!!!

Back
Top Bottom