Would U2 be able to play EACH of their songs at any given time without preparation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
I mean, does Bono remember the lyrics to each and every one of the songs even from Boy? Even those they have never performed live? I would guess that he would not remeber the lyrics not the boys remeber the notes.. At least not in a perfect way...

Andy

there would be staples like Streets, NYD, Pride etc that they could but some they'd have to figure out first.

I always wonder when they are starting to play Pride, if any of them ever think "Man, not this one AGAIN!!"...

Not a chance. I wasn't there, but I heard enough about how they messed up Staring at the Sun on the first show of Popmart so that they had to stop and start again--and they'd practiced it at least somewhat, obviously. U2 is not a band that can go out without some rehearsal of the songs they're going to play. I doubt they did Homecoming at Slane without practicing it at all.

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

Hell no! Probably most of the people on this forum could sing more U2 songs than Bono. Whenever they're not on tour, they don't play the songs, and I seriously doubt they spend so much time listening to their own albums... so, they forget. And they have to relearn it every time. That's what tour rehearsals are for.

Just my $.02, I could always be wrong

------------------
you've got the right shoes to get you through the night

Bono cracks me up with his lyrics sometimes.. he's always changing them around. I think some songs they could play in a hearbeat without practice but others they would probly problems with.

------------------
Some Days Are Slippy, Other Days Are Sloppy

Sicy's Website

No way. Go listen to the first Popmart show in Vegas if you have any doubdts. That is a prime example of what U2 sounds like without proper rehearsal time. Can you imagine if they had no rehearsal time? It wouldnt be pretty.

Yes Blue Room, you?re right. There is another example, more recently, at least when lyrics are concerned, when they tried to play Spanish Eyes in Barcelona. Bono even sang in the middle of the song, "hey, hey, hey, I don?t remember this tune...". Kinda funny
smile.gif
Well, he warned the audience first, LOL

Edge made it pretty clear during the U2 does Much special that when they pick set lists they have to go back and listen to the old songs they pick and figure out the chords, etc. It would also be inhuman if they could. I know people think of Edge as this brain, but I'm pretty sure he is human.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Yeah, I read in the book U2: A Concert Documentry (great book btw!) that on the JT tour they tried rehearsing Red Hill Mining Town halfway thru the tour but couldnt cos Larry couldnt remember the song and had to go listen to the album. And that was only a few months after they recorded it!

BM

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Back
Top Bottom