would John Lennon have liked U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I'm curious as to what the Beatles' fans here think, much has been made about George Harrison's dislike for the band, and Paul wouldn't even really offer any praise or compliments at the Super Bowl (despite being put on the spot)

I have always thought, however, that John would have appreciated a band like U2, but maybe I'm incorrect in this thinking? I don't know what to think, so I'm asking the Beatles' fans here (I know there are a lot of them)

maybe they didn't like the whole helter skelter "stealin it back" kind of thing, or maybe they secretly thought that they were the biggest band in the world, but also thought "hey, we're not going around applying for it" or maybe even some members are jealous at U2's longeivity.
Who knows, and sadly we will never know what John Lennon thought of them. But just because we haven't heard praise from the remaining Beatles doesn't mean they don't like them either...

[This message has been edited by zoomerang II (edited 02-11-2002).]

I dunno, Paul's remarks were pretty brief, but he didn't berate them like George. Of course U2 may be a little over Paul's head these days....FRRRRRRREEEEEDOOOMMM!!!!
wink.gif

And who cares what Ringo thinks?
tongue.gif

Ringo would have liked U2. He was, after all, the one Beatle with his head securely fastened on his shoulders.

Paul made some kind of statement about he and U2 being at the SuperBowl to show the solidarity of the rest of the world with the US..or something to that effect..

I saw them at one of the R&R Hall of fame things looking kind of friendly together...I think Paul likes them personally...about their music I don't know. I don't think they have anything against them.

dream wanderer

I don't really think you can compare anyone to the Beatles. I love U2, but the Beatles really are really on another level completely. What other band is each individual a house hold name? When George Harrison died, that was the top news story on almost every news station, above the war. The Beatles released about 15 albums worth of material between 1963-1970. Not only is the quantity incredible, but the quality is unmatchable. After the breakup, each of the Beatles had #1 singles-even Ringo-and John, Paul & George have each had several #1 albums. As far as longevity goes, again, no comparison, regardless of what you think of their music. When the Beatles Anthology was released between 1995-1996, they were sold as 3 double cd's spread out over that short time period. Each set wet to #1, and they were mostly outtakes! The Beatles 1 album, released last Xmas, is one of the best selling albums of all time & is still on the Billboard charts. Just listen to the growth in that on record & it is incredible. She Loves You to Hey Jude, only 5 years later. The Beatles got better on each record & broke up on top. There is just no comparison. The wrote the blueprint for every band that followed. I think U2 would agree to that.

Having said that, I believe U2 are easily the best active band around, no question. I can't think of another band who has been around as long as they have, who continues to challenge & grow, and has all their original members. I think they are truely one of the last originals in rock. Another thing that is unique to them, and seems to add to their longevity, is that they were one of the 1st bands (I think) to split the songwriting 4 ways. Everyone is on an equal playing field, making the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

To answer the original question though, I think JL would like & respect Bono. I think he would anyone who was using the spotlight to try to make the world a better place, and was really passionate in their convictions.

I believe McCartney and U2 like each other mutually. Afterall Paul and U2 played at Live Aid and it was said that Linda McCartney went over to Bono after their set and gave him a big 'ol kiss. Bono said that
was one of his proudest moments.

I think Mick Jagger knows his place in music historie

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

i think the more important question that is on all of our minds is what e z e would have thought of all that you can't leave behind.

------------------
Tetradic Glossary

Zipper
(A) Amplifies grip, clasp
(B) Obsolesces buttons, snaps
(C) Brings back classic, flowing robes
(D) Flips into (velcro) adhesive
The Global Village by McLuhan & Powers

This is an interesting question. I mean, I *adore* both U2 and John Lennon for many of the same reasons: their music (duh), their intelligence, their political awareness. But that doesn't necessarily mean that JL would have actually liked U2.

Of course, there's no way we could actually know, but I think he probably would have. I think he would have admired the originality of their sound and the honesty of their lyrics. I think he also would have appreciated the fact that while they took on such lofty political issues, they, like him, didn't take themselves too seriously and kept their feet on the ground (with their families, etc). I don't know. That's just what first came to mind...

------------------
Feel like trash, you make me feel clean...

Drugs are garbage...just REFUSE.

I think he would have appreciated Sunday Bloody Sunday. He actually wrote a tune with the same name, about the same event, in 1972. It's on Sometime In NYC. Warning-1/2 the album is Yoko...an aquired taste.

I heard a rumour a while ago that McCartney may do a duets album sometime in the future. I can easily see him doing a track with Bono. Bono just did one with Mick, right?

Macca said about U 2 something like "they are good lads". For him this means a lot... He just isn't an effusive kind of person.

I think John would have liked Bono very much because of his strong personality and his special way of relating politics and rock music. And last but not least because he is an amazing musician.

John would not have understood U 2's religious attitude, that's for sure. But he would have respected it.

Yoko and Sean seem to like Bono quite a lot.

annalivia

"I'm just sitting and watching the wheels go round and round..."

I think George was probably just grumpy that day. After all, this is the man who when his gardener on Maui asked for a raise, replied...you want more money, maybe you should have considered a career that pays more....

Paul...who knows. He has always been diplomatic...

John...I think if John were alive, U2 themselves might not have done some of the things that they have....rooftop concerts etc....

RINGOS naughty
smile.gif
i like him best,
not sure what music he likes though
frown.gif

------------------
"was she askin for it,was she askin nice ,if she was askin for it,did she ask you twice"

Back
Top Bottom