Would HTDAAB become even more kick ass if arranged like Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
KICK ASS OPENING TRIO
1. COBL...........Discotheque
2. Vertigo.........Do you feel
3. ABOY............Mofo

Maybe this 'back to guitars after ATYCLB' approach would have been cool? :happy:

SLOWER / DOWN TEMPO
4. Sometimes...If God Will
5. Original........Staring at the Sun

Okay, I know these songs can't be compared note for note but they ARE somewhat down-tempo on the respective albums! And I always felt that Sometimes and Original flowed beautifully in concert

SIMILAR PACING
6. Yahweh........Last Night On Earth

Listen to them back to back. The pace in both songs is very similar!

WEIRD / EXPERIMENTAL
7. LAPOE..........Gone / Miami

I had to bunch up Gone and Miami here. They're both too cool to be seperated and this makes it easier to match up a 11 track album with a 12 track one.

THE REST :shifty:
8. Miracle Drug......The Playboy Mansion
9. Crumbs..............Velvet dress
10.A Man................Please
11. One step..........Wake Up

I don't have a great case here to explain :shifty: but the bottomline is I do like this new HTDAAB order that I've discovered. And it goes back to my theory that they always make the songs flow better on tour after messing up the order on the albums!

Thoughts? :wink:

Your cell's not ringing, no ID, you need to know who's calling. :'(

Zootlesque said:

:lmao:

My thought: you've stared at the tracklistings for too long :wink:

Actually, I will not dismiss your theory so readily, but I'll need more time to investigate the flow between your comparisons. I'm not sure how I feel about One Step closing the album though.

typhoon said:
Your cell's not ringing, no ID, you need to know who's calling. :'(

:lol:

In that case, put Fast Cars between AMAAW and OSC!

I don't mean to overanalyze, guys! This was just an observation. :wink:

namkcuR said:
Zoot...'even more kick ass'?

I wasn't aware you thought Bomb was kick ass at all :wink:

uh... :shifty: I said that so I don't come off as bashing HTDAAB. There's way too much bashing going on as it is and it's getting tiresome. Moreover, I do enjoy listening to the album from start to finish! Just have to be in the right mood for it.

Also, you may find this funny... but I've really been digging LAPOE lately. :wink:

Last edited:
That tracklisting's too top heavy [meaning they're a perfect match.....!] You've got arguably four of the weakest tracks on the album closing the thing and I just couldn't see that tracklisting flowing at all anyway...again, like Pop...

gareth brown said:
That tracklisting's too top heavy [meaning they're a perfect match.....!] You've got arguably four of the weakest tracks on the album closing the thing and I just couldn't see that tracklisting flowing at all anyway...again, like Pop...

Okay, whether a track is strong or weak is totally subjective. I happen to think that Miracle Drug and Crumbs are two of the strongest songs on this album.. esp. lyrically!

As for the flow, I think...

a. COBL is a good opener.
b. Vertigo and ABOY go well together.
c. Sometimes and Original go great together!
d. Yahweh is the perfect end to side 1. Think of it as a cassette. :wink:
e. LAPOE opens side 2.
f. Miracle Drug and Crumbs flow well.
g. AMAAW whether stand alone or bunched up with Fast Cars sounds pretty neat.
h. OSC is your perfect closer along the lines of 40, MLK and Grace.

Yes... this is how I spend a saturday night when there's so much snow outside that there's nothing to do but sit in my room. :wink:

ABOY followed by SYCMIOYO? Your tracklist fails just for that. :wink:

Axver said:
ABOY followed by SYCMIOYO? Your tracklist fails just for that. :wink:

No no no... you're mixing up two different chapters in the album. ;)

Hey! So do you prefer IGWSHA following Mofo???

Here's another question. Would Pop be even more kick ass if it was arranged like HTDAAB? :wink:

1. Do You Feel Loved?
2. The Playboy Mansion
3. If God Will Send His Angels
4. Miami
5. Gone
6. Discotheque
7. Mofo
8. Please
9. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
10. Wake Up Dead Man
11. Staring At the Sun
12. Last Night On Earth

:hmm:

See XHendrix24, that's a horrible track order! :barf: Further proves my point. :p

tuwie, who do you mean? :scratch:

Zootlesque said:
See XHendrix24, that's a horrible track order! :barf: Further proves my point. :p

I think it's a terrific track order that makes the album much less top-heavy while spacing out the fast-paced and slow-paced songs instead of having a generally fast-paced beginning and a generally slow-paced second half.

But, then again, I would probably take HTDAAB over Pop any day of the week. So that might factor into the equation somewhere. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

No no no... you're mixing up two different chapters in the album. ;)

Hey! So do you prefer IGWSHA following Mofo???

Mofo --> IGWSHA is one of U2's worst transitions ever.

I really love the Sometimes into Original transition. I was singing Sometimes yesterday and kept forgeting the words from memory and using ones from OOTS instead....i love them together :)

Axver said:

Mofo --> IGWSHA is one of U2's worst transitions ever.

What would you put after Mofo, then? After the explosive ending you have to go with something with a subtle start. I suppose I could see Mofo-->Miami, but...Miami has to go after Gone! :wink:

Zootles - I shall try your idea, I like the idea of making things more like Pop :wink: If you're gonna put Fast Cars in, put it where Miami would go. They both have a groove to them. Also, I'd swap A Man and a Woman and Crumbs, since Crumbs is a political song and AMAAW is a personal song (Velvet Dress/Please). I don't know how well it will serve as the penultimate track, though. I think it's one of the weaker songs on the album, while the penultimate songs tend to be some of the strongest - Original, New York, Please, Dirty Day, Acrobat, Exit... :drool:

I like COBL-->Vertigo-->ABOY so far though :D

I would've opened the album with Mofo

then

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send His Angels

I think it flows better that way :shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I would've opened the album with Mofo

then

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send His Angels

I think it flows better that way :shrug:

yeah, I can see that, as long as Disco, DYFL, and Mofo stay together. but I think the swirly intro of Discotheque and the way it builds up to the riff makes it a perfect opener.

ABOY-->Sometimes actually isn't so bad :hmm:

AtomicBono said:

ABOY-->Sometimes actually isn't so bad :hmm:

No really it's not! I don't know what Axver is smoking! ;)

Seriously, you guys have all got to try it before you knock it!

As for switching AMAAW and Crumbs, I don't know.. I always thought Miracle Drug and Crumbs went great together. Then again, I see what you're aying about the penultimate track. I'll have to try Miracle Drug with AMAAW! :hmm:

The thought of "HTDAAB" and "kick ass" together just does not gel.

Back
Top Bottom