would flag-waving bono of 1983 or the fly have accepted a british knighthood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ very offensive those words! You call my cousins 'micks and paddies' and they'd fucking knock your block off! :ohmy:

But really i don't understand why people are so up in arms about it. Bono is not a champion of irish nationality, he's not a member of Sinn Fein or anything like that, so why would he turn down an award? As JC has said repeatedly, this obviously will help him champion his cause for Africa more, and i think he would care about the causes he so passionately talks about then doing a big 'up yours' to the uk.

ALSO, lets not forget, first and formost, U2 is a band, a BUSINESS at saying 'up yours' to quite a bit client of theirs is bad business strategy, and something they just wouldn't do! YOu gotta put food on the table! :wink:

toscano said:

A lot of people in Scotland used to be called (and still are) called "Jock" as a given first name, it's an old traditional variation on the name "John", it would like referring to the Irish as "Micks and Paddies"

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for the explanation!

susanp6 said:

I am aware that it means that in America, but i know this might make me sound slightly uneducated about it, but i'm not quite sure why it came about to be honest but believe me, it's not a word we like :no:

Jesus, are people easily offended or what. Calling a Scottish person a Jock is an insult. Wow, don't you call English Sassanachs or whatever the spelling but being English do I give a fuc#? There is way to much politcal correctness in this world, way too much! Hey I've just offended a load of Religious people by taking the lords name in vain......have me stoned.....for that was a lovely bit of halibut.....Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah...your only making it worse for myself.....worse than stoning? what could be worse than stoning? Crucification thats a doddle! Life of Brian, what a classic!:wink:

I don't think this has anything to do with Bono being Irish. that isn't what bothers me, i don't understand the people who are arguing about race. Many Englishmen have turned down knighthood on their own ethical basis. like John Cleese.

i don't really mind if bono has accepted or not. it is a high honor and it is his decision. it's just that i agree with others that the spirit of rock n roll should not be so cozy with something like the royal family.

^^ I've never called any English person a sassenach in my life.

When you say that you mean you don't care a damn about Scots people then? :eyebrow: if so, how ignorant&narrow minded :|

Galeongirl said:

But it gives him a little more political power, and that is what he's aiming for...

If Bono wants political power., he should do it the modern way. RUN for political office. He doesn't represented no one.

zooperson said:
I don't think this has anything to do with Bono being Irish. that isn't what bothers me, i don't understand the people who are arguing about race. Many Englishmen have turned down knighthood on their own ethical basis. like John Cleese.

Right, yeah. I don't give a toss about whether he gets it, I just didn't expect him to accept it so I'm surprised in that regard.

And if I'm honest, I can't say I'd mind being Sir Axver. :wink:

"would flag-waving bono of 1983 or the fly have accepted a british knighthood?"

I actually think he would have, even then. He's always liked accolades and awards, and I don't think he's ever been quite the rebel some seem to think.

You can dislike constitutional monarchy or support it, that's up to you, but from experience most detractors are usually misinformed and have no idea on the workings of their government in the first place. They often look at it from an emotional angle instead of a structural angle.

Grasping the basics of governmental forms would tell you that the constitutional monarchy system is the best form of government this planet has and until a better form of government comes along this is it. Constitutional monarchy is a better form of democracy than a republic, but how could that be you ask, with the monarch being unelected? Well this is where you weed out the emotional people from the rational people. The monarch is unbiased, non-partisan, and above politics. It oversees the constitutional end of government and keeps the political egos in check. That's democracy at work. You can hate the monarch but the structure shouldn't be hated but respected. My 2 cents.

As for Bono being knighted. Well it's simply up to him and being Irish has nothing to do with it, it's a personal gift from the Queen. And for the chap that doesn't want to be a U2 fan anymore, did you know that half the band isn't ethnically Irish at all? Adam Clayton and the Edge were both born in England with Adam being ethnically English and the Edge Welsh. Both are British citizens as well as Irish citizens.

To touch on some other comments. John Cleese wasn't awarded a knighthood but rather a CBE(Commander of the British Empire) in 1996. Also, John Lennon wasn't offered knighthood but he returned his MBE(Member of the British Empire) honour in 1969.

Last edited:
indra said:
"would flag-waving bono of 1983 or the fly have accepted a british knighthood?"

I actually think he would have, even then. He's always liked accolades and awards, and I don't think he's ever been quite the rebel some seem to think.

You've actually hit the nail on the head, as did Zooperson.

Accepting awards is not very rock'n'roll.

As for this knighthood helping his cause in Africa, if Bob Geldof's had his knighthood for 20 years, then it obviously doesn't help at all. :|

isn't bono just using the aids campaigning as an excuse for receiving an award from an institution that he knows goes against what he has been preaching for years?

Slipstream said:

To touch on some other comments. John Cleese wasn't awarded a knighthood but rather a CBE(Commander of the British Empire) in 1996. Also, John Lennon wasn't offered knighthood but he returned his MBE(Member of the British Empire) honour in 1969.

can these be ranked? is bono's award finer?

Judging from some of the threads started in here since the tour ended...

Ya'll are really, really, REALLY bored, aren't ya?:|

Well wouldn't a dictatorship be even better then? Then the monarch could be above politics, and also not have to bother with that pesky Parliament? :)

Anyway...I'm impressed. Seven pages in and not a single "Sir Elton John" reference. Obviously this is nothing. It's not a "real" knighthood (he isn't "Sir Paul Hewson") - honestly I'm not sure if he should have accepted it. The honor at this point is on the same level as being given a key to the city, or having an "official State Bono Day" named...not worth being looked at as selling out to the British monarchy. I don't really think he is (selling out), but I'm sure some do/will.

And re: the criticism of the IRA & the British government, yes he was critical of both in the gigs. If you've listened to many U2 gigs, Bono generally said something along the lines of "IRA, British army, I'm sick of the whole lot of them" or some such. Obviously more of the Irish flag stuff, as people were bringing Irish flags to the gigs - who's bringing a British flag to a U2 gig? But the "there is but one flag, the white flag" was clearly him rejecting both the Irish & British flags.

toscano said:

Well, you are !

It's people like you and the idiots in Govan that keep good old fashioned bigotry alive and well.

And J_NP, we won't blame all Japanese for the atrocities committed in Nanking, Burma, Philippines etc. You're welcome.

Typical. Always tarring us with the same brush as Rangers. .

Name one song that we sing is bigotted.

Celticfc said:

Typical. Always tarring us with the same brush as Rangers. .

Name one song that we sing is bigotted.

Flying the Irish flag, singing "fuck the queen", "soldiers are we, whose lives are pledged to Ireland", "hello hello we are the Derry boys", etc etc... none of these continue to fan the flames of the west of scotland bigotry ? you're just a mirror image of the other guys, neither of you has the brains or common sense to want it to stop, in fact your continued fan base DEPENDS on it. How else do you continue to have supporters buses coming from other premier league teams' home cities to the Celtis/Rangers home games ? Bigotry passed down from generation to generation.

Your fan base, as well as Rangers' would shrink to slightly better than Hearts/Hibs if you didn't have the out-of-town bigots

toscano said:

Flying the Irish flag, singing "fuck the queen", "soldiers are we, whose lives are pledged to Ireland", "hello hello we are the Derry boys", etc etc... none of these continue to fan the flames of the west of scotland bigotry ? you're just a mirror image of the other guys, neither of you has the brains or common sense to want it to stop, in fact your continued fan base DEPENDS on it. How else do you continue to have supporters buses coming from other premier league teams' home cities to the Celtis/Rangers home games ? Bigotry passed down from generation to generation.

Your fan base, as well as Rangers' would shrink to slightly better than Hearts/Hibs if you didn't have the out-of-town bigots

flying the Irish flag is bigotted and singing their national anthem is bigotted. You are insane.
Rangers were fined by uefa for singing their vile anti catholic songs. Celtic get awarded for having the best fans.
Not one song we sing is anti protestant.
Can you name one please?

Slipstream said:
As for Bono being knighted. Well it's simply up to him and being Irish has nothing to do with it, it's a personal gift from the Queen. And for the chap that doesn't want to be a U2 fan anymore, did you know that half the band isn't ethnically Irish at all? Adam Clayton and the Edge were both born in England with Adam being ethnically English and the Edge Welsh. Both are British citizens as well as Irish citizens.

[/B]

I said i wouldnt be buying anymore cds or going to seem them anymore. I will always love the music.

I know about Adam & Edge. Ive been a fan since 83 dont u think i would know that.

U2Man said:

can these be ranked? is bono's award finer?

There is quite a few honours not posted here but I'll just give a brief list with the highest honour at the top. Usually actors and musician types will be given an MBE and over the years will be given a higher honour until, depending on what they've done, they will be made Knight or other. But Bono skipped the non-knighthood honours and that is partly to do with him being given an honorary knighthood.

Knight (or Lady) of the Most Noble Order of the Garter KG/LG

Knight Grand Cross in The Most Honourable Order of the Bath GCB

Knight (or Dame) Grand Cross of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire GBE

Knight (or Dame) Commander of The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George KCMG/DCMG

Bono's honour - Knight (or Dame) Commander of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire KBE/DBE

Not Knighthood -

Commander of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire CBE

Officer of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire OBE

Member of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire MBE

Last edited:
U2Man said:
isn't bono just using the aids campaigning as an excuse for receiving an award from an institution that he knows goes against what he has been preaching for years?

:yes: Since 98.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
geldof is knighted, too. :shrug:

:hmm: Isn't Mick Jagger some sort of knight too?

I remember Keith complained about it "not being rock and roll" for accepting it.

Back
Top Bottom