worst thing to ask Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i work in a mall, at a hat store. today the rapper obie trice came by with his posse. i'm not a big fan of his and couldn't think of anything i care enough about to ask him, but i wondered what his reaction would be if someone that met him in public asked him to rap. then i got thinking about bono. Think of all the people that meet him everyday. i'm sure that some fans ask him to sing a line, or a verse or something. i bet that this is the most annoying thing to be asked by fans. of course he can't do it all the time, and i bet doesn't want to any of the time. then he has to explain to them why he won't want to sing fo them. they probally don't think its that big of an issue, but i could see it being the worst thing to ask a singer to do if you meet them.

I think the worst would be calling him Paul or shoving things to be autographed in his face. This one time I met him, me and some friends were talking to him for a few minutes, not really getting autographs and then all these middle aged ladies mobbed him with pictures and CDs. John Sampson got annoyed REALLY fast and pulled Bono away. It was probably the only time I was embarassed to be a U2 fan.

I agree about shoving things at him to sign ,its understandable that some fans get a bit over excited but it is REALLY embarrassing!!

But Bono being Bono doesnt say anything but I think the way he looks at people like that is enough!! If he ever did that to me I would be running away and hiding!!

Its never entered my head to ask him to sing though!!!!!!!:huh:

The worst thing to ask Bono is:

Why did you let Greg Caroll take your bike and do an erand for you, couldn't you have done it yourself?

Cheers,

J

Jesus Jick. I'm a firm believer most of the time you do things for a shit stir, but even this is a bit too much dont you think?
Hypothetically or not.

Angela Harlem said:
Jesus Jick. I'm a firm believer most of the time you do things for a shit stir, but even this is a bit too much dont you think?
Hypothetically or not.

It is too much. It is in bad taste, it is so bad ..bad badder baddest ...so that qualifies it as the worst thing to ask Bono. I personally would never ask him that EVER. But this thread is about what one thinks would be the worst think to ask Bono, and in my opinion that is the worse thing to ask him. If I chose to contribute to this thread "in good taste" then it really wouldn't be the worst thing, would it? I think the moderators should kill this thread, as the thread title makes this thread open to other possible answers that could be in badder taste.

Cheers,

J

Lets cut some bullshit for a sec, you know full well that I meant it's the kind of comment which is so obviously in poor taste it doesn't even need commenting on.

Show some emotion mate. Seperate the clinical for a while.

I think he'd really dislike any "you look much smaller in real life" comments.

Angela Harlem said:
Lets cut some bullshit for a sec, you know full well that I meant it's the kind of comment which is so obviously in poor taste it doesn't even need commenting on.

Show some emotion mate. Seperate the clinical for a while.

Of course it's in poor taste. Obviously the worst thing to ask Bono has to be in poor taste, otherwise it wouldn't be the worst. Besides, I did not start this thread, I am just contributing based on the topic. Stirring shit is if I started the thread and contributed this kinda sick and in poor taste answer. But I didn't start the thread, so blame the one who started it for providing a query that virtually begged for an answer in poor taste - that virtually begged for the "worst thing".

There's a difference with "what are the bad things you can ak Bono that will tick him off" and "what is the WORST THING to ask Bono". I replied based on what I think is worst - poor taste or not - it's irrelevant. That's why I'm highly of the opinion that this thread should be closed or deleted because it begs for answers in poor taste.

Cheers,

J

I agree rushing him or shoving anything in his face for him to sign is the worst. Just ask nicely and ye shall receive.

I think the worst thing to ask him would be to ask about his family. That's a bit too personal for me.

I can't see how you'd believe this when you replied. If you genuinely thought this was a problematic query to base a thread on, you'd surely either report it, ignore it or perhaps comment in the thread itself. You didn't though, you replied with something that anyone would agree is taking it too far and then put the onus back on the thread starter. The people who start threads aren't responsible for the replies it recieves unless they're purposely trying to cause trouble etc.

The thread doesn't need closing. Just some care and thought into what is considered something typically bad without crossing the line of every day etiquette. Something like U2girl's height comment. You nailed it Jick on the most inappropriate thing someone could say. Great. It just never needed to be said.

Now that I think about it, if he is sensitive about his height, maybe a comment on that would be too far already.
(just like for anyone's insecurity, or even disability)

:shrug: I dunno...maybe something about his family, or even his marriage. (especially insinuating something negative about either of those two topics)

U2girl said:
Now that I think about it, if he is sensitive about his height, maybe a comment on that would be too far already.
(just like for anyone's insecurity, or even disability)

:shrug: I dunno...maybe something about his family, or even his marriage. (especially insinuating something negative about either of those two topics)

This is what I was going to say, anything personal about his body or his family. He hates that, and I hope no one would be rude enough to do that if they were lucky enough to meet him:|

I guess I'm lucky in a way. If I ever met him, I'd not have the chance to say anything dumb as I'd not manage more than staring...with my mouth open...mentally kicking myself for not being able to say anything before he walks off or whatever.

Actually no I would say something dumb. Like "Excuse me, can you tell me the time?"
:der:

this is not a way to conduct a conversation:

"hi youre bono right?

omg youre like the greatest singer ever! you sing songs that nobody else can sing, like how do you hit all those high notes?"

how about:

"hey, how ya doin?"

I think the worst would be calling him Paul or shoving things to be autographed in his face. This one time I met him, me and some friends were talking to him for a few minutes, not really getting autographs and then all these middle aged ladies mobbed him with pictures and CDs. John Sampson got annoyed REALLY fast and pulled Bono away. It was probably the only time I was embarassed to be a U2 fan

I really don't understand how anyone could be 'ashamed to be a U2 fan' because fans shoved stuff at him to sign. See, those 'middle aged ladies' as you call them have been in love with Bono for 20 years or more and have probably never had a chance to be close to him so they just got overanxious. That shows me that they are good fans, loyal and long term fans, and that makes me PROUD to be a U2 fan. I'm sure they just got excited and didn't realize they were doing it. I know if I ever got that close I'd either freak out or freeze. I'd be a lot more 'ashamed' of fans who are nasty, pushy, mean, intentionally hurtful, or those who make unkind jokes about Bono and pick on him and talk about him behind his back after he's been nice enough to pose for pics for them. :( I also hate it when people who don't really care pretend to be fans just to get things to sell on Ebay, pushing the ones it would mean something to out of they way, like those Matrix guys Souly ran into in Toronto:down:

But now that we know how security is so touchy, we all know what to look out for if the time comes ;)

Last edited:
Its not a case of being ashamed its very embarrassing as you can see him thinking oh god here we go again!! It also spoils it for anyone else there as well as he will not take the extra time to talk if anyone is hysterical and it does happen!ohmy

MIDDLE AGED!!!!!!!!!!
THE FULL BAND ARE MIDDLE AGED!!!! !!:madspit:

By the way I'm 41 and have never ever shoved anything at Bono and as he said"you ladies get better with age!!" so there!!??!!:lmao::

Last edited:
Anyone remember TFI Friday? The St Patrick's day show in Dublin where Chris Evans interviews Bono and Edge and Bono shows Evans the rosary/crucifix he was wearing given to him by the pope, Evans asks " Was that like a one off gift or do they hand them out in the Vatican like Blue Peter badges?" The look of shock on Bono's face was priceless! He wasn't expecting that!
He recovered well and laughed it off!

I saw a video once back during the tour where this lady was interviewing Bono and Edge on top of a doubledecker bus. He was telling her about the Pope giving him the rosary and he took it off and handed it to her. She assumed for some reason he had given it to her and she said, "oh, thank you!!" He up and said, "I'm not giving to you!" and he and Edge laughed she made a joke of it but she must have been :eek: :eek:

the forum is "What is the worst thing to ask Bono if you met him" - I think that is a perfetly legit response

I'm always a bit mystified by the need to get an autograph, but a classic was seeing a fan asking Adam to sign a U2 CD...it was a bootleg of Popmart Santiago, I couldn't believe he had the nerve! Adam just said quietly, 'Wow, even I haven't got this one!'..I wonder if any of the other members of the band would be bothered about that?

U2Kitten said:

I really don't understand how anyone could be 'ashamed to be a U2 fan' because fans shoved stuff at him to sign. See, those 'middle aged ladies' as you call them have been in love with Bono for 20 years or more and have probably never had a chance to be close to him so they just got overanxious.

OK, well, I'll describe it again, in context this time: We'd met Bono earlier and he was in a rush so we said we'd leave him alone and he agreed to come back and meet us again at 5pm. 5pm we went back and he never showed b/c security was on a break and he shouldn't just go wandering about without them. At 7pm we went to hear his presentation on AIDS and it was amazing, the most powerful and moving thing ever, everyone was really touched. So we were wandering around afterwards and stopped at the hotel. Bono came out and we were chatting for a few minutes, laughing about how he had basically stood us up earlier, trying to throw in a bit of humor and recover from the AIDS presentation, thanking him for his efforts, etc, when this mob of people rush the sidewalk. Some of them hadn't even attented the presentation, all they cared about was getting an autograph. It was REALLY rude. I mean, we were there to discuss AIDS for god's sakes and all these people cared about were themselves and what they could get out of the situation. Doesn't matter if it was Bono, the president, ANYONE, it's just rude to interrupt a meaningful conversation and start shouting and pushing and shoving everyone. I was practically smashed into Bono at one point and I looked up at John Sampson and gave him an appologetic smile and he just glared at the mob of people, grabbed Bono's shirt, and they left. Those people weren't the people that have been in love with Bono for 20 years, they were at the hotel for something different and all they cared about was getting a Bono autograph. And even if they have been in love with him for 20 years, pushing other people, little kids for God's sake, and shoving things in people's faces is a piss poor way of showing their affections.

BTW, I wasn't making a pass at "middle aged" people, most of the group I was with was middle-aged, it just struck me how sorry it was to see little kids waiting their turn to shake hands with Bono, and then a mob of full grown adults physically push the kids aside so they can get an autograph. I don't see how that's acceptable in ANY situation.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

BTW, I wasn't making a pass at "middle aged" people, most of the group I was with was middle-aged, it just struck me how sorry it was to see little kids waiting their turn to shake hands with Bono, and then a mob of full grown adults physically push the kids aside so they can get an autograph. I don't see how that's acceptable in ANY situation.

I know what you mean. I have come across some HORRIBLE fans over the years, almost always (flame me now) female. Get in their way AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Obviously there have been many very lovely fans too...

Jim said:

I know what you mean. I have come across some HORRIBLE fans over the years, almost always (flame me now) female. Get in their way AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Obviously there have been many very lovely fans too...

:macdevil: It's not issolated to U2, or any band.....*images of rabid housewives cat-fighting for the newest Christmas toy come to mind*....

"Top o' the morning to ye, have ye got any Lucky Charms?"

Okay, that's not really the worst, but certainly not something you want to ask any Irish person.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
*images of rabid housewives cat-fighting for the newest Christmas toy come to mind*....

:rolleyes:...ugh, I hate that. I hate seeing people who are supposed to be adults acting that stupid and immature over a mere toy. I feel like finding them and telling them to grow up. :tsk:.

And I do see what you're getting at, by the way. Pushing people out of the way is definitely not the best idea in the world-for one thing, it annoys other fans, which could start fights, and endangers their lives, even (trampling people to death comes to mind), for another, it could scare the celebrity away. With all the crazy stories surrounding celebrities' lives being threatened, that kind of thing could scare them. That, and they want to avoid being trampled, too.

I think celebrities will be much more willing to sign things or talk to people if they do their best to just wait their turn. It would be hard, yes, 'cause I can certainly understand being excited and hoping you get your chance before they leave and everything. But it's the safer way.

Angela

Hey Bono. What size of underwear do you wear? I'm wearing a 34 right now, and it's really tight and riding up my crack. It's gonna be a messy load of laundry tonight!!!

Back
Top Bottom