Worst Song Survivor: The Early Eighties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s).
The NINE SONGS with the most votes go to the eighties semi final. DO NOT vote for songs you have not heard.

Welcome to Worst Song Survivor, a spinoff from Best Song Survivor v2 that shouldn't be taken too seriously. This is a quickfire tournament for shits and giggles, to see what Interference's least favourite U2 song is. The selection criteria was simple: every song that received 0-5 votes in the album rounds of Best Song Survivor v2 automatically qualified, while each album had to contribute a certain number of songs according to a seeding system - the less popular the album was in the latest Best Album Survivor, the more songs it had to contribute. Hence the appearance of some songs that exceeded five votes. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your least favourite tracks (within reason). Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

As with Best Song Survivor v2, THERE WILL BE NO VOTE CHANGING IN THIS TOURNAMENT.

Have fun and don't start any flame wars!

I really hope I don't need the disclaimer telling people not to vote for songs they don't know, but I'm a bit wary since the only other time we ever ran this tournament, a number of us became fairly convinced that the poor performance of some songs could be explained by people voting for tracks they didn't know - I guess to protect tracks they did know or something. It created some bad results.

As for this round, it's no secret that I am a big fan of U2's early days. I legitimately really like most tracks here and I found it hard to vote. In fact, one song here is in my top ten U2 songs: Treasure. I think it's a disgrace it's here; it actually received eight votes in Best Song Survivor but snuck into this tournament because War had to contribute five songs under the seeding system. Had War performed as well as it normally does in Best Album Survivor, then Treasure would not have even been eligible for this tournament. This is the one example in the tournament where I really was unhappy with the selections demanded by the seeding system; in all other cases I think the selections are either tracks legitimately unpopular here or tracks just so obscure nobody voted for them. I hope these preliminary rounds discard the obscure tracks and the semis and finals can focus on the tracks that are actually unpopular.

So anyway, I voted for just four songs. Boy/Girl isn't that bad really but I've never been a big fan and usually skip it. Same goes for Stranger in a Strange Land; sometimes it's oddly affecting but generally it just feels awkward and half-formed. Angels Too Tied to the Ground is simply guff, and then there's Red Light. What absolute shit. I'd have given Red Light ten votes if possible.

Can't wait for the day people wake up and realise that Red Light isn't as horrible as you all think. I voted for one song and one song only, The Refugee, by a long, long, long way the worst thing U2 has ever committed to tape.

A vote for Stranger in a Strange Land is a vote for underrated brilliance.

Come on everyone, we all know The Refugee is freakin' weird and sounds nothing like U2. Possibly my least favorite U2 song ever. Not even good enough to be a B-side.

I'm having a tough time with this round, and I expect that to persist through this tournament. There aren't any U2 songs that I truly hate at the moment. Just a bunch about which I am fairly indifferent. And I have similar levels of indifference about many of them.

It's just for laughs, geez.

Also, if the polling remains poor, I might just switch to sending the top five or so from each round to a final.

I don't see him seeing and there is nothing I say or do that could penetrate his thick skin.This could be a good thing when it saves me the trouble of sucking up to him!!

Back
Top Bottom