WORST song survivor: champion!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
namkcuR said:
Why will you people not even open your minds to best band member image? You are RECYCLING survivor themes that have already been done!

I don't think there's any mind-opening that has to be done here. It's just not a good idea. Hey, if you want to do it, head over to PLEBA. They'll love it.

A 'best non-single' survivor would come down to either Bad or UTEOTW and we all pretty much know that. It's a waste.

Acrobat, Gone, Kite, Heartland ...

Zootlesque said:
Axver, I think One Tree Hill is missing from your list. Don't tell me it was a single!

edit: Never mind. I just checked u2wanderer! God, I'm so ignorant about 80s U2! :lol:

I have the vinyl! My favourite item in my U2 collection. :drool:

Axver said:

I don't think there's any mind-opening that has to be done here. It's just not a good idea.

But WHY is it 'just not a good idea'? What is so terrible about it? And don't say 'it's shallow' because that's purely subjective.

namkcuR said:
But WHY is it 'just not a good idea'? What is so terrible about it? And don't say 'it's shallow' because that's purely subjective.
how about this. since you seem to love to present your opinion as fact, i'll do the same. you seem so convinced what would win best non-single survivor, i bet you a million dollars zoo-era bono would win your survivor contest.

namkcuR said:

Ah, but that's the thing, it is shallow, or would become so. That's not a subjective thing. We all know this will come down to "hot or not", no matter how much you'd like eras to be compared on the aesthetic level on which you'd compare one sunrise to another. Also, the winner's even more painfully obvious than non-single survivor: ZooTV. General consensus is that it's the 'coolest' era of U2.

And I just think it's a rather boring idea. I wouldn't be interested enough to participate. I really couldn't care less about the band's image. I'm here to discuss the music. How 'cool' Bono's hairstyle is or what 'awesome' shoes Edge wore are of no interest or concern to me. So I'm obviously not going to support this proposal.

Axver said:

Ah, but that's the thing, it is shallow, or would become so. That's not a subjective thing. We all know this will come down to "hot or not", no matter how much you'd like eras to be compared on the aesthetic level on which you'd compare one sunrise to another. Also, the winner's even more painfully obvious than non-single survivor: ZooTV. General consensus is that it's the 'coolest' era of U2.

And I just think it's a rather boring idea. I wouldn't be interested enough to participate. I really couldn't care less about the band's image. I'm here to discuss the music. How 'cool' Bono's hairstyle is or what 'awesome' shoes Edge wore are of no interest or concern to me. So I'm obviously not going to support this proposal.

1.It's not the image of the band as a whole, it's the image of each band member....first bono's, than edges's, etc, then the four winners up against each other. In the end you could have ZooTV Bono vs Elevation Edge vs JT Adam vs Pop Larry or something like that.

2.I'm a guy. You're a guy. Neither us would ever think of any of the band members as 'hot'. So you're basically saying that the girls/women would ruin this, are you not? I think that's an unfair light to paint the women of Interference in, that they're all so shallow that they can't help themselves from the 'hotness' arguement. Give them some more credit.

3.I am well aware you don't care about image. Were it up to you, I have no doubt everything would be practically black and white on a bare stage.

4.Hasn't non-single survivor been done before? I could be wrong, but I could have sworn it has.

Re: Re: WORST song surivor: champion!!

Queen Bee said:

That still stings :sad:

Wow - I missed that vote! The Wanderer?! Ouch.

On a completely unrelated note: Queen Bee - I appreciate your profile picture! I am so upset by the AD news!

namkcuR said:
2.I'm a guy. You're a guy. Neither us would ever think of any of the band members as 'hot'. So you're basically saying that the girls/women would ruin this, are you not? I think that's an unfair light to paint the women of Interference in, that they're all so shallow that they can't help themselves from the 'hotness' arguement. Give them some more credit.
i'm not a guy and i think this is a stupid and shallow idea. no matter what you think of the band, whether bono gets you hot and bothered or you think he's ugly, this is shallow. it's comparing the band members' images. but you seem to fail to see this for some reason.

and no, non-single survivor has never been done before.

namkcuR said:

1.It's not the image of the band as a whole, it's the image of each band member....first bono's, than edges's, etc, then the four winners up against each other. In the end you could have ZooTV Bono vs Elevation Edge vs JT Adam vs Pop Larry or something like that.

3.I am well aware you don't care about image. Were it up to you, I have no doubt everything would be practically black and white on a bare stage.

4.Hasn't non-single survivor been done before? I could be wrong, but I could have sworn it has.

1. What Khanada said. And we all know ZooTV Bono would win in a flash. Really, Fly + Mirrorball Man + MacPhisto + Ordinary Bono Of The Time = easy win.

2. Nice way to twist my words to make me look like a villain. Basically, you and I both know an image competition would predominantly interest girls - many guys may not even vote. And some of these girls will be shallow, surely you realise this! Khanada earlier said it could turn catty really easily and I totally agree.

And we've done Best Song Survivor once, maybe twice, I can't remember. One emerged victorious anyway. That's why I want to do Best Non-Single - it eliminates the One/Streets final and makes things more interesting. Bad will probably make the final but the other song's unpredictable.

Axver said:

1. What Khanada said. And we all know ZooTV Bono would win in a flash. Really, Fly + Mirrorball Man + MacPhisto + Ordinary Bono Of The Time = easy win.

2. Nice way to twist my words to make me look like a villain. Basically, you and I both know an image competition would predominantly interest girls - many guys may not even vote. And some of these girls will be shallow, surely you realise this! Khanada earlier said it could turn catty really easily and I totally agree.

And we've done Best Song Survivor once, maybe twice, I can't remember. One emerged victorious anyway. That's why I want to do Best Non-Single - it eliminates the One/Streets final and makes things more interesting. Bad will probably make the final but the other song's unpredictable.

You know, you're right - it is shallow. But so what if a survivor is shallow? It's just a game, there's no need to take it so seriously. But I'm obviously not going to get much support for this so I'll drop it. And you're right, I did twist your words in my own frustration, and that wasn't cool. My apologies.

Now, if it's going to be a best non-single survivor, may I make a suggestion?

If you want to make it even more interesting, you could count any song for which there is a music video, as a single. This would eliminate those quasi-singles, the songs that were never officially released as singles, but became so popular through the live circuit or otherwise that they are as well-known as many singles and were even given, in some capacity, music videos. Then you would eliminate UTEOTW, Bad, Sunday Bloody Sunday(that might be an official single though, I don't remember), and Gone from the competition and make it even more interesting.

namkcuR said:
And you're right, I did twist your words in my own frustration, and that wasn't cool. My apologies.

That's alright - not a bother. :)

If you want to make it even more interesting, you could count any song for which there is a music video, as a single.

Ooh, now this idea, I like. How popularly used does the video have to be? I mean, Spanish Eyes does have a video, but to my knowledge, it only appeared on some documentary. So does it get the cut anyway?

Off the top of my head, these non a-sides had videos:

- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Bad
- Until The End Of The World
- Love Is Blindness

Did Gone have one? I have a tape that includes Gone but it's just the Popmart Mexico footage and I've no idea if it was actually used as a music video.

Also, anyone know of any other songs that weren't a-sides that had videos?

(And SBS was a single in some parts of the world.)

Axver said:

That's alright - not a bother. :)

Ooh, now this idea, I like. How popularly used does the video have to be? I mean, Spanish Eyes does have a video, but to my knowledge, it only appeared on some documentary. So does it get the cut anyway?

Off the top of my head, these non a-sides had videos:

- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Bad
- Love Is Blindness

Did Gone have one? I have a tape that includes Gone but it's just the Popmart Mexico footage and I've no idea if it was actually used as a music video.

Also, anyone know of any other songs that weren't a-sides that had videos?

(And SBS was a single in some parts of the world.)

The Popmart Gone video was on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, so I think it should be counted...besides, even without the video, Gone easily qualifies for that quasi-single category.

I used to have a video for In God's Country, I think it was from some kind of documentary.

The ASOH video is from the The UF Collection, right?

namkcuR said:

The Popmart Gone video was on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, so I think it should be counted...besides, even without the video, Gone easily qualifies for that quasi-single category.

I used to have a video for In God's Country, I think it was from some kind of documentary.

The ASOH video is from the The UF Collection, right?

Ah, I forgot Gone was included on that DVD. And yeah, ASOH is from the UF Collection. The current list of songs to exclude:

- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Bad
- Love Is Blindness
- Gone

Shall we put Spanish Eyes on the list? As much as it has a video, I don't know if that was officially released or if Spanish Eyes is worthy of "quasi-single" status.

Can any other songs be thought of as worthy of "quasi-single" status? Bullet The Blue Sky? Some of it is on the Streets video.

Apparently there's a video for God Part II ..? Someone want to confirm this?

Does this mean God Part II is out too?

I don't want to exclude God Part II! :mad:

And we still haven't reached a Spanish Eyes conclusion.

About Spanish Eyes...

Perhaps for a best non-single survivor, b-sides shouldn't be included at all. I mean, do you think there are any b-sides that have a shot at actually winning this thing? If not, it's just making the competition needlessly long.

namkcuR said:
About Spanish Eyes...

Perhaps for a best non-single survivor, b-sides shouldn't be included at all. I mean, do you think there are any b-sides that have a shot at actually winning this thing? If not, it's just making the competition needlessly long.

Plus, for them to be B-Sides, they had to be ON a SINGLE at one point. Therefore, they shouldn't be included because of their existance on a single.

Stretching the logic a little bit? Maybe. But I think it works. :wink:

I'm here! :wave: (Khanada's on holiday for a few days though.)

I personally want to keep the b-sides and just make this a non a-sides contest as I feel it fleshes out the rounds more. However, I recognise the problems with that ... now I'm simply unsure!

Hey Axver! :wave:

:hmm: How about a Best Song (grouped by album) strictly based on lyrics? In fact we could quote the best verses and chorus out of each song in the first post of every round! So people would understand it is to be judged on a purely lyrical basis!

Either that or non-single survivor (including A sides) would be interesting!

as long as we do SOMETHING instead of this inaction. Khanada is the mod here. Maybe she should make the final decision. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
Hey Axver! :wave:

:hmm: How about a Best Song (grouped by album) strictly based on lyrics? In fact we could quote the best verses and chorus out of each song in the first post of every round! So people would understand it is to be judged on a purely lyrical basis!

Either that or non-single survivor (including A sides) would be interesting!

as long as we do SOMETHING instead of this inaction. Khanada is the mod here. Maybe she should make the final decision. :shrug:

Patience is a virtue, young Skywalker :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom