WORST song survivor: champion!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
timothius said:

Sorry. Maybe if I didn't bother capitalizing at the begining of each sentance I would have more time to focus on my grammar. :wink:

Also spelt CAPITALISING wrong. It's not 'Z', it's 'S'.

intedomine said:

He also forgot an 'n' in 'beginning' and used an 'a' in 'sentence'.

:tsk: Look what an Auckland education does to people. :tsk:

intedomine said:

to be fair to whomever it is you are riffing... "capitalise" and "capitalize" are both correct.

the "z" version is more common in North America and the "s" version is more common across the pond.

It works that way with all of the "ise" words:

"Realize" "Realise"
"Stigmatize" "Stimatise"
etc...

benefit of the doubt on that one...

but sentence was misspelled, true.

Clawgrabber said:

to be fair to whomever it is you are riffing... "capitalise" and "capitalize" are both correct.

the "z" version is more common in North America and the "s" version is more common across the pond.

It works that way with all of the "ise" words:

"Realize" "Realise"
"Stigmatize" "Stimatise"
etc...

benefit of the doubt on that one...

but sentence was misspelled, true.

To be fair, American English is incorrect English and should never be considered the proper way of spelling.

Axver said:

To be fair, American English is incorrect English and should never be considered the proper way of spelling.

in a way i agree.. being american i can see where you are coming from...

however,

1. some might say the exact same about the butchery of the language by the citizens of New Zealand and Australia. (In fact, I know Brits feel that way because I have spoken at length with Brits about the bastardization of the English language not only by Americans, but also by New Zealanders and Australians. If memory serves, the group of people I spoke with in London seemed to think American English a "less-bastardized" version than that spoken "down under".
But that is not my opinion. My opinion is:

2. the evolution of language must always include what is widely accepted

i.e. through time, the changing definitions and spellings of words.

Webster's dictionary allows for both spellings of the "ise/ize" suffix, and thus they are both correct.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that in America, the "ize" is considered correct American English, and were you to turn in an essay at a University with a word containing the "ise" suffix, you would be downgraded for misspelling the word, as European spellings are not considered correct in the States.

That also goes for the British spelling of "color" (i.e. Colour) etc...

Now, to further my point, going by the local current time in Timothius' original post, he is seven hour earlier than I am, putting him in the same time zone as Sydney Australia...

So it isn't for me to answer for him, but rather those interferencers down under.

Either way, he is correct, and Axver is painfully Ethnocentric (and for a culture that isn't even his own, mind you)

Okay, this debate is already boring me. Lets talk about the passengers some more. Or achtung baby.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:
have we decided on what we're doing next?

Well, there's lots of ideas from everyone ... although nothing has been confirmed yet. :sad: :help:

We all need to think up something soon before this series just ends up dying !! :ohmy: :no:

I wouldn't mind seeing a straight-up alphabetical "best song survivor" competition.

cleazer said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a straight-up alphabetical "best song survivor" competition.

Me neither :D

Just think...

One Tree Hill vs One?
Discotheque vs Dirty Day?
New Year's Day vs New York?
Kite vs... um... Kite?

What I would like to do is a best non-single survivor and while we run that, take submissions for Bono lyrical flubs so that non-single survivor can be followed by best lyrical flub survivor.

I'm game for anything that has to do with lyrics! whether it is bono's goofups or just comparing lyrics.. like verse against verse or chorus against chorus.. grouped by album ... something like that? :shrug:

Thanks Meghan! :D I know I'm an inconveinence, but hey, I would really, really be into a lyrics survivor. It's something different, and people would discuss the lyrics in the threads and the forum would become more educated as a whole.

Damn...that was good! :wink:

Okay, I have decided to ditch my lyrics idea, we really need to do sniggrib's thread! The best intro, best guitar, vocals, lyrics so on for every album, completely different. PLEASE!!! PLEEEEEEASE!!!

It's such a great idea.

COBL_04 said:
Okay, I have decided to ditch my lyrics idea, we really need to do sniggrib's thread! The best intro, best guitar, vocals, lyrics so on for every album, completely different. PLEASE!!! PLEEEEEEASE!!!

It's such a great idea.

What are you going to do when the threads wind down to albums you don't own? :sad:

OK, we're making no progress on determining what to do next, so unless we have vehement disagreement by a decent amount of people, I'm going to start Best Non-single Survivor in a few days. This deadlock and indecision is getting tiresome.

For Best Non-single Survivor, I'd like to propose the following format. 'Single' is taken to mean a song that was used as an a-side. To be considered, a song has to be either an album track, album bonus track, or b-side. No unreleased material will be considered except the iTunes material, which will be grouped according to its recording session. Passengers will be included, especially as Your Blue Room was utilised as a U2 b-side. A song has to be a U2 original rather than a cover to be considered; no remixes or alternate versions are considered. Early versions with different titles quality, however. Thus, Always is included but Yahweh (Alternate Version) is not.

Songs are grouped together by era - an album's non-singles and b-sides together.

CATEGORIES

BOY ERA
Twilight
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Stories For Boys
The Ocean
Another Time, Another Place
The Electric Co.
Shadows And Tall Trees
Boy/Girl
Touch
Things To Make And Do
The Fool
Street Mission

OCTOBER ERA
I Fall Down
I Threw A Brick
Rejoice
Tomorrow
October
With A Shout
Stranger In A Strange Land
Scarlet
Is That All?
J. Swallow

WAR ERA
Seconds
Like A Song ...
Drowning Man
The Refugee
Red Light
Surrender
Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)
Endless Deep
Party Girl*

*I put Party Girl in the War section as it has less songs than October (10-8), but I'm open to any good arguments to move it.

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE ERA
Wire
Promenade
4th Of July
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley And America
MLK
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
The Three Sunrises
Love Comes Tumbling

THE JOSHUA TREE ERA
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing
Race Against Time
Beautiful Ghost

RATTLE AND HUM ERA
Van Diemen's Land
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
God Part II
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Hallelujah Here She Comes

ACHTUNG BABY ERA
Zoo Station
So Cruel
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Ultra Violet
Acrobat
Alex Descends Into Hell
Lady With The Spinning Head
Salome
Where Did It All Go Wrong?

ZOOROPA ERA
Zooropa
Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Dirty Day
The Wanderer
Slow Dancing

PASSENGERS ERA
United Colours
Slug
Your Blue Room
Always Forever Now
A Different Kind Of Blue
Beach Sequence
Ito Okashi
One Minute Warning
Corpse
Elvis Ate America
Plot 180
Theme From The Swan
Theme From Let's Go Native
Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume)
Viva Davidoff

POP ERA
Do You Feel Loved
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Wake Up Dead Man
Holy Joe*
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

*Voters should vote as if it is their favoured mix.

ATYCLB ERA
Kite
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Summer Rain
Always
Big Girls Are Best
Levitate
Flower Child
Love You Like Mad

HTDAAB ERA
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Yahweh
Fast Cars
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Xanax And Wine
Native Son
Smile

The usual format will be used, whereby you vote for the song you dislike the most in each round until we're left with one song standing. This song will then progress on to join the winners of the other eras in the final.

I hope I haven't missed anything or accidentally included any singles. I wasn't 100% sure about the recording sessions of a couple of iTunes songs so tell me if they're wrong. And as you can tell, I wasn't sure if a couple should be included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things:

1. I accidentally forgot to include The Electric Co.; I thought it was there.
2. I'm told I've Got You Under My Skin is a cover, written by Cole Porter, so it's off the list.

:up: nice list. i've no complaints.

for holy joe, i used the garage mix last time around and i remember there was some justifiable reason for doing so which i now can't remember. but also, i personally prefer the garage over the guilty mix. :wink:

for i'm not your baby, i'm not sure what we should do about that. my opinion is since an original, non-remixed version does exist, just not on a U2 album/single, we should include that version if we're going to include the song. not the remix.

I just looked up U2Wanderer.org's entry for Pop and it says the Guilty Mix of Holy Joe was the Japanese bonus track, which would lean me in favour of specifying that mix. I'd like to know what the good Garage Mix reason was - maybe it's more similar to the live performance? (I haven't listened to any form of Holy Joe in months.)

With I'm Not Your Baby, I know of no other instance of a song not being on an album or single but then having a remix appear as a b-side. Does the presence of the Skysplitter Dub as a b-side justify the inclusion of I'm Not Your Baby? Or would it beg the question about where songs like Stateless and Billy Boola are? What did we do for Worst Song Survivor?

Is there some way we can shorten this contest a bit? IIRC the Worst Song Survivor covering all the albums and all the B-Sides took 4 or 5 months to plow through.

Maybe you could operate two polls at once. Run a Boy thread and a October thread, then a War and TUF thread, and so on.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i edited the post to remove the song from the list :shh:

Can you please edit it to include The Electric Co. between Another Time Another Place and Shadows And Tall Trees? :shh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom