worst song by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all my fav songs are mentioned :ohmy:

I don't get Scarlet or Is That All.. I always skip Promenade, Elvis Presley and America, Until the End of the World and Elevation so I guess I don't like them.

But I can't think of any u2 song that'd be total crap. I just don't like some of them.

Grace...

I think I've forgiven them for their misstakes in the beginning of the 80's (Red Light,With A Shout)

Oh God, I hear people mentioning Discotheque, Latst Night On Earth, Dirty Day (WTF???), A Man And a Woman, Lemon, Mofo, Please, Original Of The Species, Mysterious Ways, and even Miami. Christ, somebody mentioned Until The End Of The World. Everyone of these songs are in my top 25.
:eyebrow:

Mhhhh.......i think elvis and america or the outtake Be There...:huh:

So let me get this straight. U2 have in their catalog the songs entitled 'Peace On Earth' and 'Grace', and you people have insinutated that the following songs are worse?!

If God Will Send His Angels
Please

I guess Pop IS as misunderstood as so many say it is. Please is an absolute masterpiece lyrically(love is big, bigger than us, but love is not what you're thinking of) and musically, and Edge's guitar solo in the single and live versions is one of his best ever. If God is one of the most original, complex, and harmonically beautiful(Edge's backing 'Where do we go') songs in the U2 catalog.

So Cruel

It drives me nuts when people don't like this song because it is so totally gorgeous. People always drool over Achtung Baby because it is one of the most incredible records ever recorded, and yet this song still gets overlooked. The music in this song is better than pretty much anything on ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

Until The End Of The World

As someone else said, what the fuck? This is a live classic. Some people don't like it because it doesn't have a defined chrous. To that I say, grow up and learn to enjoy music without hooks. Edge's guitar solos are perfect and the vocal atmosphere in this song is wonderfully dense. A listen of Achtung Baby would be incomplete with the 'no NO no, NO no, NO no no no's and the outro with its awesome bassline to which Bono and Edge fight on the live stage.

Original Of The Species

This is one of the few songs on HTDAAB that can compare to U2's pre 21st century work, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Mofo

Again with the not getting Pop. This is an incredible song. Again, enjoy music without hooks. This is one of Adam and Larry's finest hours, and the lyrics are some of the absolute most personal stuff Bono has ever written, about his mother.

Lemon

Again, about Bono's mother. This is a beautiful song, an other-worldly song, and it contains the classic line, 'midnight is where the day begins'!

A Man And A Woman

Why is this getting a bad rap already? I view it as Mysterious Ways ten years more mature. I can even picture a belly dancer with it.

Mysterious Ways

For those who need hooks...this has one of U2's most infectious ever...it's alright, it's alright, it's ALright...

Dirty Day

One of my favorite guitar riffs ever. Seriously, how can you say this is their worst?

Discotheque

FORGET ABOUT THE VIDEO ALREADY!!!!! If you listen to all the remixes you see how brilliant this song really is.

Last Night On Earth

The middle part of this song where it gets quiet and slow and Bono and Edge have alternating singing parts is one of the greatest musical accomplishments of U2's career, and the chrous and Edge's solo at the end are some of U2's rocking-est moments in recent years.

*deep breath*

I can't get over this....Grace and Peace On Earth exist, yet so many put all of these songs below them. Wow.

Oh, and I could write a whole new post about why all the 'Hands' bashers are wrong.

Last edited:
Some days are better than others

Dirty Day (album version only)

Intros to Refugee and red light (rest of songs cool though!)

New York (Lyrics)

Playboy Mansion, nice lyrics and message though, something about the music is annoying....hmmm...still listenable though, the slide guitar is great!

Stuck in a moment

Love rescue me

:eyebrow:

O I dunno . Who asks such questions? JK
There are songs that just stop sounding relevant but I can't rule those as their bad songs. But I mean right now a song like "Fire" doesn't do anything for me.

Hard to pick a "worst," but here are some I think are weak:

1) Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car -- not a bad musical experiment, and sort of interesting in its own, weird way, but it's not tuneful or catchy in the least.

2) Wake Up Dead Man -- totally depressing and annoying, especially the part that goes "wake up.... *DUNT DUNT*!!!"

3) Gone -- fine, don't come back.

4) Hands That Built America -- just awful. It's the sound of U2 trying WAY too hard to write a song about 9/11.

5) Discotheque -- easily the worst first single from any U2 album. "Vertigo" is this song, all grown up.

Elvis Presley and America is one of the highlights of the Fire album, it's a great song.
Worst songs? A lot of songs from Pop, Zooropa and at least 8 songs of the ATYCLB album.
And yes, I'm still a fan :)

When Love comes to Town is my least favourite U2 song, followed closely by Peace on Earth.

I love Neon Lights, i can't stop listening to that - it's a thumbs up from me there! :yes: :up:

Ahhh... I'm not sure. Apart from the first 3 tracks and the last tracks, I don't care as much for War as for the other albums ("Refugee", "Red Light"...)

However, I must say that I love OOTS and Miami. For me Miami is a really dark, slightly eccentric song. It's got great dynamics and it kinds of gives you a chill because you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Miami all the way!!

Oh and Love Rescue Me is great too... a truly beautiful song (okay maybe a tad too long though).

Back
Top Bottom