Worst song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote FOR the song you like least.

• Refugee

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Red Light

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • EP and America

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Trip Thru Your Wires

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawkmoon 269

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Daddy's Gonna Pay

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Playboy Mansion

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Grace

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • write in please specify in a post

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver, i have to disagree with your liking Bullet followed by Miami. I think it was a total injustice to play Bullet (a track that has stood the test of time) with Miami, one of the least popular U2 recordings. Back on Zoo TV @ Yankee Stadium they played SBS, Bullet, followed by Running to Stand Still. Excellent back to back to back. Then for PopMart they play Miami after Bullet?!?! Come on, that's just not right. I respect your opinion, but do not agree with it.

I went with playboy mansion...

whilst I have never liked Miami, I do like the lyrics, but the song sucks....other songs that I just dont like are streets- wouldnt care at all if I never heard it again and WGRYWH- never liked it ever, it is IMHO the only flaw on Achtung Baby:huh:

I hope I don't insult anyone, but I dislike "if god will send his angels"...
Miami however isn't that bad I think. The "Miami... My mammie"-section is quite cool :wink:

I'm a little surprised that "Wild Honey" isn't in the poll. That song is so cloying, and Bono goes badly off key at one point! :huh:

That said, I'm voting off "Miami". Yeah, it's got a cool beat, but the lyrics... :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Write in for "Wake Up Dead Man."

"Trying to throw..world" was a close 2nd. Maybe it's just the album version, I dunno, other songs on Pop, Bono's voice is really good, but on this track, it didn't seem to "take off" as Bono puts it. Sounds like he's almost underwater, singing.

*ducks thrown objects*

Was "Trying...world" from the Berlin sessions? It sounds different, like it was recorded in a different place than the other songs.

I like Refugee, well War's my favourite album, so there you go.

The bass really stands out in the "Sweetest thing", and the video is funny.

I liked Daddy's gonna pay, more, after seeing the ZooTV version.

Peter said:
I hope I don't insult anyone, but I dislike "if god will send his angels"...
the thing about that song is that I really like parts of it, but really loath the rest
so it sounds as if it could be great, but it really isn't IMO

the production of this one might be the worst of any U2 song IMO
(I have no idea what on earth is happening, why it is happening and who figured that it was a good idea)
and some of the lyrics bring tears to my eyes
(and not in a good way)

the overall idea behind the lyrics is quite good though
and the vocal line is strong

Last edited:
wow...for all the people mentioning trip, no one has voted for it...

i voted for the write in option...i think some of those songs are ok and some are great and some are bad...but there's always something about a song i like. for example, i don't like playboy mansion except the end, i don't like miami except the bass/drum lines, i don't like refugee except it's awesome to sing along to loudly...etc etc etc.

so, my vote goes for boy/girl. although this song makes me laugh with its stupidity, it scares me. done and done.

*edit* see, i already changed my mind...i choose into the heart instead. even though the transition from an cat dubh into it is cool, i think it's a bit drawn out. so yeah, my vote is into the heart.

Last edited:
Stories for Boys said:

*edit* see, i already changed my mind...i choose into the heart instead. even though the transition from an cat dubh into it is cool, i think it's a bit drawn out. so yeah, my vote is into the heart.

Into The Heart? NOOOOOOO!!!!!! That's one of my favorite U2 songs ever, and I find myself singing it quite a bit. But, of course, you're entitled to your opinion!:)

I'm going to have to really think about this question. Stranger in a Strange Land IS one of the best candidates for worst song. But I'll probably vote for Miami or the Playboy Mansion, because I think these are the weak links on POP, an album that I like more and more each time I listen to it.

Miami. Weird beat, and some REALLY bad lyrics to boot and probably Edge's most cliche solo.

*edit* I'm surprised many fans have a problem with U2's (IMO) perfect attempts at writing a pop song Sweetest thing'98 version/Wild honey.

Last edited:
Wild Honey just doesn't do it for me. I know why they put it in the album but it just seems like a mistake....i skip it everytime

Salome said:
the thing about that song is that I really like parts of it, but really loath the rest
so it sounds as if it could be great, but it really isn't IMO

the production of this one might be the worst of any U2 song IMO
(I have no idea what on earth is happening, why it is happening and who figured that it was a good idea)
and some of the lyrics bring tears to my eyes
(and not in a good way)

the overall idea behind the lyrics is quite good though
and the vocal line is strong

I remember reading in "End of the World" that the band seemed to struggle with this song.......it was either Bono's vocal, or trying to find a melody. You can clearly tell though that the structure of the song is the problem. The difference between the single and the album isn't so much the sound but in the single version they eliminate a verse..move up parts and add lyrics.....Song to me though is uplifting........just know that I need you...need you to know..............

I voted for Red Light.....

Is That All is one of my top ten u2 tracks, and i was expecting it to be in the poll and to be absolutely slaughtered...thankfully it wasnt....

Good contest everybody!

This poll will close on Monday, so if anyone hasn't voted yet please get your vote in over the weekend. Or maybe we can get the people who only post on weekends. Thanks!

I voted for Miami because it was the worst of the choices. But I never liked a few songs on Rattle & Hum, namely When Love Comes to Town, God Part II, Hawkmoon 269...

I ABSOLUTELY hate much of the live stuff on R&H, especially the covers of Helter Skelter,and All Along the Watchtower.

Rattle & Hum is a strange album to me. Here, U2 was at their absolute over-the-top worst until POP came along. But yet, some of their best stuff is there, too. I really like Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You, and Heartland.

Now to my final point (sorry for being long-winded!). I read where their new album is to be their "first guitar-oriented album". I would have to think that this is the usual over-promotion garbage. You can't get any more "guitar-oriented", especially U2-sound, then All I Want Is You, In God's Country, and The Fly.

I hate the cover of Watchtower that is on the Rattle and Hum album..

But man, if only the version from the Lovetown Documentry was on the album instead of the original cover of it.

It blows it away.

I voted for Miami because I just don't get it. Easily U2's worst song.

TTYW and Hawkmoon are great songs. I even like Playboy Mansion now, which I never did before. It's strangely alluring.

Originally posted by
*Looks at choices...*

Moron...

Excuse me? I already said several times these are not necessarily MY choices but songs I'd seen most maligned by others over time and ones I thought would get the most votes. I have nothing against some of those songs and I like Trip a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't see any reason to dislike Refugee or Red Light, true they may not be U2's best but there's nothing wrong with them. I like TTYW, Hawkmoon and EP&America, and DGPFYCC has grown on me. I dislike The Playboy Mansion but it's not awful, better than Miami anyway...but Grace is truly bad, with the worst lyrics by far (along with New York and Peace on Earth) that Bono has ever written. Stomach churning, makes me worry for the new album if Bono carries on in this vein...

The Sage said:
I dislike The Playboy Mansion but it's not awful, better than Miami anyway...but Grace is truly bad, with the worst lyrics by far (along with New York and Peace on Earth) that Bono has ever written. Stomach churning, makes me worry for the new album if Bono carries on in this vein...

I agree about New York and Peace on Earth, but I've always liked Grace. I think Bono sings it well, and it is a good little ballad. Also, I think it is a good song to close an album with.

I can see your point, though. I definitely hope that Hand That Built America and Electrical Storm are NOT where the band is going with their new album. Those songs make me wanna puke...

(I like tiny parts of both, but all-in-all, they both suck!)

Miami, it's misery to listen to. :madspit:

I like Refugee and Red Light, and I really like Elvis Presley and America, I think it's pretty. Of course, I do rate the entire UF album higher then most people do.

And I believe in you...

~*Buffalo*~ said:
I even like Playboy Mansion now, which I never did before. It's strangely alluring.

Agreed. I particularly love the way the last part of the song is sung from, "Don't know if I can hold on..." on out.

Originally posted by FelipeVox
just one thing> i LOVE trip thru your wires. it?s just a fun song. the harmonica sounds great!

Exactly! That's why I love it, too. :D. Same reason why I like "Refugee". It's just a fun, goofy song to sing along to.

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom