Worst Album Survivor: Round VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your FAVOURITE album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm appauled that Rattle and Hum is still here. Desire, Angel of Harlem, Heartland, All I Want Is You, Hawkmoon, God Pt 2 - some of U2's best songs.

I'm appauled that Rattle and Hum is still here. Desire, Angel of Harlem, Heartland, All I Want Is You, Hawkmoon, God Pt 2 - some of U2's best songs.

The problem being the lack of cohesion. It's doing poorly, imo, because it's not a traditional U2 album.

Axver fits the profile of a music critic they sit back and critique everything when they dont know much about anything.

Good thing they were or you most likely wouldnt be here because if they kept out putting material out like Boy, October and War they wouldnt have lasted past 1985.

Although these are good albums they certainly arent great albums that have a long lasting impact on the music industry.

So, do you know much about anything then, seeing as you're doing exactly what Ax does?

Also, see tourist's earlier post.

Well, as I always say: it's pointless to argue

Off-topic: the tourist, you're not the first person I see that likes Starflyer... one day I need to listen to this.

Off-topic: the tourist, you're not the first person I see that likes Starflyer... one day I need to listen to this.

They're pretty amazing and prolific. They just released their 11th album in 15 years a few months ago.

ETA: or, they've released 11 albums in the same time period U2's released 3. (Not to mention they've released 6 EPs, a compilation, and a box set of unreleased material)

The problem being the lack of cohesion. It's doing poorly, imo, because it's not a traditional U2 album.

Yes, there is a lack of cohesion, but personally, I really enjoy the kick ass, rock n roll aftermath of Joshua Tree that hangs over the album. You can tell that they are just loving music and emabracing all their American musical influences, even if it is presented in a scatter-brain, mix bag kind of way. 85 - 89 was an awesome time period for U2. They milked that song writing vein well and truly dry by the end of the decade, and even if R&H was the dregs, it was some fucking awesome dregs!

^Couldn't agree more.

EDIT: @the tourist: I'll see if I can find some torrent and download some of their stuff later.

EDITII: @luna_lovegood: The soundtrack for I'm Not There is really good. Nice covers there.

Yes, there is a lack of cohesion, but personally, I really enjoy the kick ass, rock n roll aftermath of Joshua Tree that hangs over the album. You can tell that they are just loving music and emabracing all their American musical influences, even if it is presented in a scatter-brain, mix bag kind of way. 85 - 89 was an awesome time period for U2. They milked that song writing vein well and truly dry by the end of the decade, and even if R&H was the dregs, it was some fucking awesome dregs!

I agree with this, but October is still more cohesive musically.

HTDAAB on the other hand...

it has to be Rattle and Hum this time.... come on, there are some great songs in there if we take out WLCTT and LRM....

There's the thing, it relies on you taking OUT songs. Whereas this is an album survivor, so we have to judge albums by their entire content, not songs. Otherwise, R&H would probably have done better, and October would (possibly) deserve to come last.

^Hmm...those two are really good. But I think my fav are Maggie's Farm and Ring Them Bells

Hmmmm...hard to say. It's definitely one of those three: Desire // Bringing It All Back Home // Oh Mercy

Oh, there's Time Out of Mind too :drool:

Bringing It All Back Home is a great one.

For me, it's a nearly three-way tie between Freewheeling, Highway 61, and Blood On The Tracks. BOTT got me into Bob Dylan, and Freewheeling has been growing on me a lot lately, but I think Highway 61 gets the edge.

Well, Freewheelin' is almost a greatest hits of classics.
And I knew you would only talk about BIABH :wink:
Desire was the album that got me into Dylan. It was on my pc and one day I decided to hear it. Romance In Durango is beautiful :drool:
BIABH has one of the best sequences in music history: Bob Dylan's 115th Dream - Mr. Tambourine Man - Gates of Eden. And 115th Drean has one of the funniest lyrics I've ever heard.
Oh Mercy is just amazing. It makes me feel like I'm in another place... in another time :wink:

I think Nashville Skyline deserves a pat on the head as well. It doesn't amount to much, but it's very charming and brings the goods. Its version of Girl From The North Country is one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs, and Lay Lady Lay is indisputably a classic.

I think Nashville Skyline deserves a pat on the head as well. It doesn't amount to much, but it's very charming and brings the goods. Its version of Girl From The North Country is one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs, and Lay Lady Lady is indisputably a classic.

Well, I'm not really into this one. There's some nice songs at least. But I've remember something awesome now: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid Soundtrack :drool:

Now that's one I haven't heard. What album(s) does it bear similarities to?

Hmmm... that's the cool thing about. You know it's Bob Dylan, it's quite clear through the album. But at the same time, it bears no similarities to none of his albums. imo. I'm surprised you haven't heard it. It's where Knockin' on Heaven's Door comes from.

October, always been a personal fave of mine. Always loved Gloria, October, Rejoice, Scarlet and especially Tomorrow, one of U2's best ever songs.

It has not a single song worthy of U2's top fifty tracks. Well, unless you're willing to count The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Hilarious that the best song U2 released in 2000 didn't even make the standard edition of the album.

I was making that very point to somebody yesterday, TGBHF is U2's finest song of the decade, and not only did it not feature on the "official" album, the lyrics weren't even written by Bono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom