"Womanfish" ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I just saw this old post on the EYKIW archive and am totally clueless.

"06-23-2004 12:25 AM - Womanfish!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our friends at U2 Star have this week's video up: it's Womanfish from an RTE broadcast in 1986. Some of the video is badly out of sinc with the sound, which makes for a couple of bizarre moments, but this is definitely worth checking out. (Note: Clayton looks uncannily like Roland Orzabal!) Very nice, high energy stuff."

First of all, what is this song, and if it's anything noteable, where can I find it, because it certainly looks interesting.

Any info would be appreciated.

Early 1986 U2 were on an Irish talkshow. They also played 2 new songs then. One of them was an early version of Trip Through Your Wires, the other was Womanfish. It is also the only time Womanfish has been performed.
As for the video, I don't know where you can find it. Sorry. I've never seen it myself either.

C ya!

Marty

thanks for that info. At least I know now what it is. Hopefully somebody else here will be able to track down the video for us to see.

I must say, this is one of the most rockin U2 tracks I've ever heard. Edge is balls to the walls in this one. :wink: :up:

womanfish said:
Damn, here i thought someone was looking for me! ;)

:lol: I thought they were looking for your also when I read the title of the thread!

Anyway, supposedly, the entire band was hammered when they did this show. Sounds like it anyway! The alternative lyrics to "This Town" (AKA Trip Through Your Wires) are also interesting.

Lancemc said:
what's that woman's sounding voice during parts (chorus i guess)?

I always assumed that was Bono...an early falsetto debut...
I also think the recording is slightly sped up...making it even faster and B's voice even higher.
Edge is absolutely out of his mind on this track...I sure hope a clean studio version shows up somewhere on a box set someday.
This also has to be one of the first times Bono uses the harmonica.:hyper:

Just my opinion everyone, but I think this song is a shocker!!! I can just imagine non U2 fans really taking the piss out of this one, especially the rockabilly drum beat! Can you just picture Larry's face while he's laying this? I'm sure he was less than happy! But admittidely Edge is in top form. But boy, thank God this wasn't on JT!

ive tried 3 times downlaoding it and it gets about 12% completed when the download stops. i get a message that says the server is reset. anyone know what's goin on/ what i need to do???

Lancemc said:
I just saw this old post on the EYKIW archive and am totally clueless.

"06-23-2004 12:25 AM - Womanfish!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our friends at U2 Star have this week's video up: it's Womanfish from an RTE broadcast in 1986. Some of the video is badly out of sinc with the sound, which makes for a couple of bizarre moments, but this is definitely worth checking out. (Note: Clayton looks uncannily like Roland Orzabal!) Very nice, high energy stuff."

First of all, what is this song, and if it's anything noteable, where can I find it, because it certainly looks interesting.

Any info would be appreciated.

Wow, that's me you're quoting there! Yes, that's a great song. The video's nuts, as it's completely out of sync, including the woman introducing the song. That high voice in the middle is Bono. They're playing is way too tight for them to have been drunk, IMO. Anyway, I still have that video, and just watched it again. I still say Clayton looks like Roland Orzabal!

Thanks alot neutral

I always wondered what U2 would sound like with a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (live jam band style) influence. I think that pretty close.

Oh biff...
Please post this video...I've never seen it and have been looking all over for it.:yes: :dance:

Last edited:
Oh Paul....

I have no idea how to "post" a video. I am completely and hopelessly a Luddite. If I can e-mail this to someone, I would be happy to do so, and then perhaps that person can "post" it. Anything more technologically complex than that is quite beyond me. (Yes, I am a complete knob, computer-wise:reject: )

Ooohhh biff...

This will be so easy...I promise.

Go to www.yousendit.com

Fill in your own (or my) email address in the first box

browse to the file (womanfish.mpg?)using the 2nd box and then send.

wait for the file to post (a few minutes)

copy the link from the page (or the email they will send you)once the file is uploaded...and post it here

it's free and they won't spam you either

my e-mail: coldplayer@insightbb.com :wink:

Oooooohh Paul...

that sounds intelligible until the line "copy the link from the page (or the email they will send you) once the file is uploaded...and post it here". :shrug:

Ooo ooo ooo
You are really close.

The file is uploading, right. Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Next, it is done and the yousendit page changes and tells you the file is done...and gives you a link in the middle of the screen.

Right click on the link and select "Copy Shortcut"
Next...come back to this thread and post a new message...and paste the linkin the new message by right clicking again and selecting paste.

Viola, you are done.
Next, I owe you one...what is on your wish list...
Audio, video? something rare?

:laugh: :laugh:

Ooooh, oooh oooh, Paul.
Sadly, it did not happen as you predicted. The yousendit page never changed to "done". I have a high speed connection, but for whatever reason, the link just kept flickering endlessly and never finished. I can perhaps try again tomorrow (it's late at night now, and work tomorrow (today) is looming sickeningly soon). Any other suggestions?

womanfish is one of U2's most rockin' songs (more Edge than on Vertigo... :reject: )
And Bono is great. And of course, Larry and the guy that plays the other guitar, with less strings :wink:

Back
Top Bottom