With Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFly84138

The Fly
I honestly believe that with time more and more people will see the beauty of Pop. In my opinion it's much better than their last two albums.

With time, hopefully this continual "Pop is better/worse than ATYCLB and HTDAAB" will wear off and fade away.

:laugh:

Dude! (/dudette) I think there are far more people here that appreciate Pop and are disappointed with the last 2 albums than the other way round.

unnamed_streets said:
I think there are far more people here that appreciate Pop and are disappointed with the last 2 albums than the other way round.

Yes, because this seems to be the last bastion of obsessive nineties U2 worship. It's not as if Interference is representative of the public or even the U2 fanbase as a whole.

TheFly84138 said:
I honestly believe that with time more and more people will see the beauty of Pop. In my opinion it's much better than their last two albums.

I dont think this will happen simply because POP is not much better than the last two albums.

It's all about what u like. If u like the experimental POP or the kind of rock "pop-appeal" feel that the last two albums have had. I'm in the u2 fanbase that likes all that shit so I think all three albums are great.

I think some people don't like the direction u2 has gone with the last two records, which is totally cool. I just dont think you can call them weak albums. When it comes to pop-rock records, I think their brilliant.

I think POP is a brilliant record, probably in my top 5 of u2 albums. I think I'd rate it higher than ATYCLB, but not higher than HTDAAB.

to add to this, I listened to the new album while I was typing this post, and yup....it's amazing

Last edited:
this argument is getting tired, and i'm one of those fans who likes pop and not their last two albums.

and there may be more pop fans on interference, but we're not the majority. pop sold less than either all that you can't leave behind or how to dismantle an atomic bomb.

i'm also hoping this isn't ANOTHER spinoff of jick's thread.

WHAT???? people who dont like Miracle Drug should be kicked out of this forum.....
just kidding :wink:

unnamed_streets said:
:laugh:

Dude! (/dudette) I think there are far more people here that appreciate Pop and are disappointed with the last 2 albums than the other way round.

U2 fanbase is not just interference site. In the real world, Pop is nowhere near the overratedness we see here.

I also think the Pop lovers are simply more vocal and post more. It's been 7 years, I don't think its situation will move up - as it is it's the only U2 album that needs constant approval.

Last edited:
With time...we won't have any more threads like these.

Oh wait. I must still be asleep and dreaming. :yawn:

Pop sold more than Boy, more than October and equaly the same as War and UF...
It only looks bad compared to JT and AB... wich isn't a bad thing at all.

I noticed that many people from here... those against "POP" should be politicians... the way they always choose arguments, sometimes lies, sometimes "not the whole truth" to bash "POP" is realy a masterpiece...

I love Pop more than ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but HTDAAB is better album to me. I just can't explain why, just is.
ATYCLB is half an album. They should have made an album in 2002 which is a mix of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, that would be best ever(but only in my dreams)

From Peeling off dollar bills:

Boy 3 million
October 3 million
WAR 8 million
UABRS 8 million
Unforgettable Fire 8 million
Wide Awake In America 3 millon
Joshua Tree 27 million
Rattle And Hum 12 million
Achtung Baby 17 million
ZOOROPA 7 million
POP 6 million
Best Of 1980-1990 16 million
ATYCLB 12 million
Best Of 1990-2000 5 million
HTDAAB 6 million

So much about "not posting the whole truth".

I'll believe the "official truth" of Poul McGuiness then... who said 8mln to "POP"

What is the method of counting in "Peeling off dollar bills":
- one album is counted worldwide
- the other is counted U.S.&Canada and Europe
- another is from U.S. Canada, only a few European countries, Japan, Australia, and one or two countries from South America...

If that's considered "FAIR"... then I'll make no comment to that.

Just to campare something:

U2girl's list:

Boy 3 million
October 3 million
WAR 8 million
UABRS 8 million
Unforgettable Fire 8 million
Wide Awake In America 3 millon
Joshua Tree 27 million
Rattle And Hum 12 million
Achtung Baby 17 million
ZOOROPA 7 million
POP 6 million
Best Of 1980-1990 16 million
ATYCLB 12 million
Best Of 1990-2000 5 million
HTDAAB 6 million

and a list from the last month for comparison:

HTDAAB - 8,5 million to date
Best of 90-2000 - 5 million
ATYCLB - 12 million
Best of 80-90 - 13 million
POP - 6 million
Zooropa - 8 million
Achtung Baby - 18 million
Rattle and Hum - 12 million
Joshua Tree - 21 million
Unforgetable Fire - 6 million
UABRS - 6 million
War - 8 million
October - 2 million
Boy - 2 million

Let's all give or take a few milions of records here and there OK? It'll be fun.
---------
That's how credible "Peeling off those Dollar Bills" is. Nothing more than a gues of a few fans.

Last edited:
The list I posted is from Sting2, who is one of the biggest authorities when it comes to U2 statistics. Here is what he has to say about the 8 million figure from Pop:

While some members of the band claim the POP album sold 7 to 8 million, the facts from IFPI, RIAA and Soundscan tell us something different. POP sold over 2 million copies in Europe, 1.5 million in the United States, 380,000 in Canada, 70,000 in Australia, 15,000 in New Zealand, and nearly 200,000 in Japan. Those numbers combined are about 4.2 million. The European figure could be closer to 3 million although it has not hit that mark yet. But there you have over 80% of the world market. Remaining area's would increase the total to no more than 6 million.

In quite a few articles was written 8,5mln for HTDAAB, yet those guys in Peeling off those Dollar Bills are still saying 6mlns ignoring 2/3 of the world counting sold albums...

Poul McG. said 8mln to "POP" (and that's more than Boy, October and the same as War and UF)... and I believe him and no ane else.

What McGuiness says may only be albums shipped, not sold.

You said this:
Pop sold more than Boy, more than October and equaly the same as War and UF...
It only looks bad compared to JT and AB... wich isn't a bad thing at all.

Looking at both lists: sure Pop sold more than their first two albums, War outsells Pop on both lists 8-6 million, and it's an outright lie that only JT and AB make Pop look bad saleswise. Saying UF sold the same as Pop isn't a testament to Pop, really.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
The list I posted is from Sting2, who is one of the biggest authorities when it comes to U2 statistics. Here is what he has to say about the 8 million figure from Pop:

While some members of the band claim the POP album sold 7 to 8 million, the facts from IFPI, RIAA and Soundscan tell us something different. POP sold over 2 million copies in Europe, 1.5 million in the United States, 380,000 in Canada, 70,000 in Australia, 15,000 in New Zealand, and nearly 200,000 in Japan. Those numbers combined are about 4.2 million. The European figure could be closer to 3 million although it has not hit that mark yet. But there you have over 80% of the world market. Remaining area's would increase the total to no more than 6 million.

Yes, it's very common I'm sure to believe anonymous-in-intenet "someone" than believing Poul McG :rolleyes:who of course right after 8mln said that it's "low for U2 standards"... it's a trend in U2 camp these days...

U2girl said:
Looking at both lists: sure Pop sold more than their first two albums, War outsells Pop on both lists 8-6 million, sells and it's an outright lie that only JT and AB make Pop look bad saleswise. Saying UF sold the same as Pop isn't a testament to Pop, really.

Give or take 2mln diferences don't matter. I said JT and AB because they double/tripple the sales of POP... the rest of the albums not.

2 million differences for Pop matter and a 2 million difference between War and Pop doesn't?
BTW, the first Best of, according to those lists, doubles the sales of Pop. 16 - 13 vs 6 million.
Every album, starting with Joshua Tree, outsells it (arguably also Zooropa). Even at this point, Bomb does at only 3 months after release.

I wish U2 would get their albums certificated officially so we can get the correct numbers and don't have these discrepancies in sales, depending on the quote.

Last edited:
When did albums sold mean how good an album is?? Pop was a Risk it was U2 expanding there boarders with their continuing irony, dance had taken over and U2 was aiming right at it.. Pop was a great Album but a different album to that of their last two.
I just can't see how as U2 fans, some can't respect their vision enough to call it crap, it's not crap I heard the songs live the frickin rock. I think even U2 realised after Pop they needed to get back to playing music which U2 have been playing for years, ATYCLB was the step they took to do that. It was them quitting and saying we got a bit lost and need to play raw rock again.. to see whether the old U2 was still relevant. Pop is in many ways my favourite U2 album mainly because it was my first U2 album which I was there with and supported. I know that alot of people didn't get it, but I did. I also feel like that at that particular time the other music of the day really influenced how well U2 went. Dance music was just becoming so big, there was the spice girls and all these crazy little crappy songs out.. and I think most people just didn't get U2 was having a go at that with Discotheque.. they just thought it was another silly song, people had forgotten what irony meant it seemed.
Discotheque has some really strong lyrics and it was one of my favourite singles when it came out, but it really did create problems for U2 because they didn't get it.. it was a risk it didn't work but it doesn't mean the song was crap, or the album.. peace out.
PS: to those who still don't get it, it's about replacing Love with a biscuit ;) cheers

""""Discotheque has some really strong lyrics and it was one of my favourite singles when it came out, but it really did create problems for U2 people didn't get it.. """"

Dicscotheque was a great single with (in hindsight) a pretty bad video. It did appeal to the youth IMO and I don't thik it hurt the adult following. However all the techno talk and a mediocre release of singles from Staring at the Sun - Last Night on Earth sort of killed the album IMO. I like both songs fine but SATS is kind of boring and Last Night isbetter live then on the album. Not something people were looking for since the Spice Girls and Hanson were already going strong as well as the hip hop.

U2girl said:
2 million differences for Pop matter and a 2 million difference between War and Pop doesn't?
2mln for POP matter, because it's about album's final selling figures... 2 mln diferences between two albums doesn't becuse there are two albums that double/tripple the album in sales.

Originally posted by U2girl Every album, starting with Joshua Tree, outsells it (arguably also Zooropa). Even at this point, Bomb does at only 3 months after release.

And that's what I said... JT and AB...
Compared to the rest albums it's 1)more, 2)the same or 3)a bit less.

This all talking by the band was nothing more than a propaganda, hype of new album's release... very common among many other bands, unfortunetly also U2.
I would also like to remind that before POP, the band didn't have any "warm" words for Zooropa and for Passengers... and not a single song from Zooropa was played on PopMart (not counting Lemon's remix).
The very same thing happend before the release of AB when the band made fun of R&H (maybe even JT, I don't know)...
And the same thing would happen right now if it wasn't for ATYCLB being U2's "9/11 album"... thought the band is saying it's their best - ergo - it's better than ATYCLB.

The band's talking about POP is BS for one simple reason. By Bono's definition POP would not be their "first mistake", but their 4th mistake after October(unfinished), UF(unfinished) and R&H(lot's of factors)... how is POP any worse of a mistake?
"Finishing" it would mean more trip-hop elements on it, not evolution to "Best of" or even single versions, because it's not what they wanted to make at the time...

Back
Top Bottom