With or Without You or One???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digsy

New Yorker
Simple question: if they only played one of them at a concert, which one would you rather it was?

If Bono can sing it like JT/Lovetown, With Or Without You, no question about it. Edge's solo and the Shine Like Stars verse are simply extraordinary.

If we're going by Bono's current vocal ability, One.

If I get to be the lucky girl who dances with him during With or Without You, then this one. :D

If I'm just in the audience, then One, definitely.

Palace_Hero said:
If we're going by Bono's current vocal ability, Fourth of July.

:lol:

I'do go with WoWY crossfading with One. :wink:
(maybe I would rather see/hear some "strange" song like Electric Co., Rejoice or sth else from that time...)

Considering what we heard from Bono on the HTDAAB promo tour, as compared to ATYCLB promo tour (especially the best known shows, Irving Plaza and Brooklyn), I think Bono will work out With or without you just fine.

Both I would like U2 to have both of them there and played theyre so diferent though very different animals

Axver said:
If Bono can sing it like JT/Lovetown, With Or Without You, no question about it. Edge's solo and the Shine Like Stars verse are simply extraordinary.

If we're going by Bono's current vocal ability, One.

Larry would also have to still be able to play the drum part like on the JT tour/R&H.

I don't think he's ever drummed it that way since that tour.

Definitely One!

WOWY always annoys me for the petty fact that Bono sings "I can't liiiiiiiiive, with or without chew".

Saracene said:
One, no contest. I found all performances of WOWY I've seen underwhelming compared to the studio version.

I agree completely. I've never been moved by WOWY live. It's easily One for me.

The studio version of With or Without You is my all-time favorite song (U2 and non-U2) and so it's a no-brainer for me. I agree that it's been taken for granted live performance-wise, but at its peak/best, it's untouchable.

Loooooooove the studio version of WOWY. And I do remember the Mexico City Popmart version which was great. The outro had the camera panning away from the band over a sea of lit cigarette lighters. But I have to go with Un... Uno... Eins. One of the greatest songs of the 20th century.

I'd choose With Or Without You from the two, I love the way it can sound live at its peak even more than One. Which is strange, because WOWY is not in my current top 10 whereas One is. :huh: I think the clinching factor is the "And we'll shine like stars..." extra bit in the live version.

Either way, I prefer Running To Stand Still over the two of them but I'm aware that the song may not be as good, just has more personal meaning.

Last edited:
With or Without You, hands down. Before any song actually.
I agree with posters who say it's the best song ever written. Yep, first song I ever heard from U2 and that's what did it for me.

Live, it seems like Bono can really let loose on that song in a way One wouldn't allow him.

Back
Top Bottom