With or Without you live Milan is not good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I think the Vertigo tour preformance of With or Without you live from Milan is perhaps the worst prefromance of the song vocaly I have heard from the Vertigo tour. I cant even watch it even though the rest of the band sounds good. Its a shame because after hearing many bootlegs of the song from various Vertigo tour dates and hearing how Bono was singing the song I had high hopes for a version that was going to be on DVD. However the preformance is awful. Bono sings it terribly his voice is cracked and raspy. He sings it with little power and doesnt even hold the I cant lives. Its realy weird because from what I have heard the song was sounding better these days. Bono has been singing it more like it was supose to be sung and giving it the power it deserves holding the lives out. I just wish I had a prefromance of the song from the 5th leg of the Vertigo tour those were some of the best preformances of With or without you I have heard.

Jdelbove said:
Its a shame because after hearing many bootlegs of the song from various Vertigo tour dates and hearing how Bono was singing the song I had high hopes for a version that was going to be on DVD. However the preformance is awful. Bono sings it terribly his voice is cracked and raspy. He sings it with little power and doesnt even hold the I cant lives.

Yep! and because of that I got the impression that the whole gig wasn't one of their best... But fortunetely there was this crazy italian crowd who saved the dvd I think... :rockon:

WOWY should be retired. It hasn't been done well in a long time. The saving grace has been the Shine Like Stars part...when done....but the main song hasn't been sung well in a while.

When an artist performs a song dozens...or hundreds...of times, they start playing with it. Different takes on various parts appear, notes that were high become low, etc. Notice this in COBL with the "I see you in the clothes you made" part. Half the time live, that part--which was high on the album and sometimes live--is sung low. It's actually kinda cool. With WOWY, just about everything is sung low. Too many parts have been tinkered with and are sung almost haphazardly.

I love the dude, and I think his voice has become phenomenal, especially on this last tour. But he can't deliver WOWY like he used to at all. It needs to be retired.

Hey, maybe that'll stop girls from going to U2 shows with the only goal of getting on stage. :huh:

Utoo said:
WOWY should be retired. It hasn't been done well in a long time. The saving grace has been the Shine Like Stars part...when done....but the main song hasn't been sung well in a while.

When an artist performs a song dozens...or hundreds...of times, they start playing with it. Different takes on various parts appear, notes that were high become low, etc. Notice this in COBL with the "I see you in the clothes you made" part. Half the time live, that part--which was high on the album and sometimes live--is sung low. It's actually kinda cool. With WOWY, just about everything is sung low. Too many parts have been tinkered with and are sung almost haphazardly.

I love the dude, and I think his voice has become phenomenal, especially on this last tour. But he can't deliver WOWY like he used to at all. It needs to be retired.

Hey, maybe that'll stop girls from going to U2 shows with the only goal of getting on stage. :huh:

I agree with 100% of this, I honestly have not been crazy with live versions of this song since The JT tour and Love Town... Even the Zoo Tv version doesn't sit right for me..

Popmart was my low point for that song. On the Mexico one he sounds like he's out of breath the whole time or can't even remember the lyrics. That whole show's performances just made me depressed. Elevation was a fraction better plus laying down with the girl was unique at least. Then he started doing a little better on Vertigo as well, but it's not there yet. Really though, after you listen to the Lovetown versions, how can anything live up?

Milan is easily better than anything on Popmart and Elevation WOWY-wise, and if you listen to something like Chicago 12 May 2005, with (kind of) the solo and Strangers in the night snippet you'll see the song, as others from the 80's, has improved. Of course if you only expect him to sing like JT-Lovetown-Zoo TV, good luck with that.

I agree, WOWY should be retired live. Or at least they should give it a break and maybe re-work it. Personally, the song gives me nothing, I never listen to it on any album and I am not fond of the live versions these days. I have heard it too many times and over and over again on radio.

It's true that Bono's voice wasn't the best on that particular song during the Milan show, which was, over all, a great concert, mostly due to the Italian audience ... since I'm European myself, I really love the stadium shows of the 2nd leg, though Bono's voice wasn't the best on some of these shows. But compared to Pop or Elevation tour, I think it still was better. And WOWY IS a difficult song to sing. If his voice isn't in top form, he is unable to pull that one off.

I think it's generally hard to make a DVD of one or two nights where everything should be perfect, it can never happen. We have discussed this issue a lot here. There is always something that's not good, while other things are very good. I think, there is also some tension and nervousness due to the filming of a DVD, and the pressure can also lead to things not going well.

But over all, I must say, I really really love the Milan show, and I have talked to a lot of people who are not U2 fans and who have seen this concert when it was shown on our national television, and most of them said it was amazing - nothing about Bono's voice being bad or anything. It's just unfortunate that this happened during the video shoot at this particular show.

last unicorn said:
I have heard it too many times and over and over again on radio.

:ohmy: what kind of radio do you have in Austria? I wish I heard it once in my life on german radio :sigh:
:shrug:

The versions from 87 to early 93 were very good, Bono varied the snippets, Larry's performance reflected the album version and Edges solo's were often inspired, especially in 92, but since then it has declined a little.

I think the band have forgotten how they used to perform it, it used to have far more impact and drama, maybe they should go back and watch some earlier performances.

A real shame because I still consider it a bona-fide U2 classic, it's one of the songs that really put them on the map and has to be one of the greatest (twisted) love songs of all time. Everything works, the performance is so measured, Bono's vocals sublime and the whole whisper to a scream structure is the best since Bad. It's still something genuinely special and really defines the JT era for me.

The problem is Bono's sung it too many times and appears to be going through the motions. They really should play it less, it's only the song that suffers and a song as good as WOWY deserves better.

it was pretty bad perfromance wise in milan.

IWF on the other hand was one of their best

achtung_girl said:

:ohmy: what kind of radio do you have in Austria? I wish I heard it once in my life on german radio :sigh:
:shrug:

You wouldn't believe how often they play it on radio here. And almost no other music from U2. It's getting annoying.

It's a shame though, because in fact it IS a beautiful song and a real classic.

last unicorn said:

You wouldn't believe how often they play it on radio here. And almost no other music from U2. It's getting annoying.

It's a shame though, because in fact it IS a beautiful song and a real classic.

Ok I agree...playing a song to death is really annoying! I never listen to our radio b/c they never play any U2 song...just the daily chart trash :der: that just sucks...

the vertigo tour did have some tremendous versions though, the 5th leg was filled...they did the love will tear us apart snippet thing too...it was great and bono sung it beautifully...

As for ZooTV, I didn't particularly think WOWY was that strong at all..in fact I believe the 5th leg vertigo versions are probably superior...

i have a question though, in Paris 1987, the teargas performance, Bono does that love will tear us apart thing, and then he transitions into another verse, "strolling down [something something]...In the light of the day I knew that someone had arrived, when i saw your eyes, when i see you, when i hoped that it was good, as it was good for me as it was good for you that it was good for me yeeah!"

anyway it was something like that...what is this from? We never see that whole thing anymore, just the love will tear us apart lines.....is this the only performance with that whole verse?

on the vertigo tour whenever I heard "love will tear us apart," I always hoped they would continue on, but i never saw it..

the thing for me is I am not tired of the song I love the song I think its genius but because of that I expect a lot when its preformed and when Bono cant sing it or its doesnt go over well its crushing because when a song that is so good is bad its realy disapointing. That what I felt with the milan preformance. I was like finaly Bono's voice is starting to come back it will be nice to have a good preformance of the song on DVD. Then it came out and it was pretty bad so i was deffinately dissapointed.

But on the other hand they do still have the ability to preform it well and Bono actully sang it very well on the vertigo tour some nights.
-There are 2 versions that are excellent from Japan (Nov 30th and Dec 4) I would post them but I am not sure how but both concerts are on U2 Start.com and are good quality.

In these two preformances he real sings them with strenth and I thik they could stand up to any of his 80's preformances. YES THEY ARE THAT GOOD. Unforuntately they released milan with or without you and its all we got ecept fan recorded stuff.

Lot of good points on this thread,

Zoo Tv was great, cos macphisto gave it a darker twist,

since then it's been a great song, but poorly performed, shame.

I think Larry has sleepwalked this one recently. Especially bringin' it home at the end.

It's weird how empty this song has seemed lately.

In all honesty I never really loved any live version of this song. I really liked it when they added the "we'l shine like stars in the summer night..." bit, but other than that there's not much in this song that captures me.

this song has been downright terrible on the vertigo tour. just from the 1st few lines of the song, its raspy, and bono sounds like he frickin' asleep when he sings it....its not sung the way its SUPPOSED to be sung. it doesnt get any better then popmart edmonton for me :drool:

The 5th leg versions was the best since ZooTV. But I think should change the way he sings it for the moment. He added a little more mellow sound on the 5th leg versions. And I still think he could add some more opera sound to song and also add some kermit falsetto to it.

i've never heard a live version of that song that i prefer to the original! :huh: Rattle and Hum has the only performance that I think comes at all close to beating it

WOWY was so formulaic on Vertigo. The crowd knew Bono was going to pull a woman up on stage to dance with him, and that took almost all of the emotion out of the song. At the last Veritgo show I was at, in Buffalo, he sang it right in front of me, and that was pretty amazing, but I doubt it was that powerful for most everyone else in the arena. I liked on the first leg that WOWY wasn't getting played every night.

I don't think they should retire it altogether, but they've got to figure out a way to perform it (along with the other live staples like Pride and BTBS) in a way that brings it back to life.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I don't think they should retire it altogether, but they've got to figure out a way to perform it (along with the other live staples like Pride and BTBS) in a way that brings it back to life.

A thousand times yes.

A world of yes.

I think this song would be amazing as a stripped-down acoustic number. The crowd would completely carry it, and it would strip the song down to its pure elements, a perfect song.

I know it's only four chords over and over, but it would be a really intimate moment for audience and band. Can you imagine a stadium of people carrying this song without a band arrangement?

As it stands now, it is only a pale imitation of the emotional powerhouse that once was.

Man, that R&H moment was so good...

I don't know how to save Pride and BTBS. Give them a rest.

They need to somehow combine the 18th Nov version of the song with the Rattle and Hum version... In other words, Larry needs to actually put some effort into it, and Bono needs a bit more emotion.

on the next tour I wouldn't be surprised if this song sees a major improvement, Bono just needs to use that kermit voice and like someone said, that operatic tone to his voice...Bono and Larry seem like they just are choosing different styles of singing it that don't really suit the song too well in comparison to JT versions...Larry's drumming changed so much throughout the vertigo tour on that song, he had so many different arrangements, He and Bono just need to find that zone again, which could be done so easily by simply looking back at earlier performances like I keep saying!!!

Back
Top Bottom