with or without you live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
i keep noticing over the past year that many people say they think that wowoy should be dropped form the setlist, and were happy when it was on the last leg of the tour. why is that? i'm not sure if i'm in the minority or not, but i still think wowoy is the greatest song ever, and simply the best song they do live. i saw a couple of shows at the end of the tour without it and i so missed it. i never once in 13 shows that i attended that they played wowoy thought why are they playing this, its really getting old. just trying to understand this, how could anyone not one them to play it at every show.

jp

I love it too, and was sorry to see it dropped. Maybe it was dropped is because it was a love song, one where Bono held girls' hands, pulled girls up, rolled like in the DVD and got all mushy. On the last leg, it seemed he wanted to get away from the physical stuff like that and focus on pulling people to play guitar instead. It may have been dropped from the live act because they didn't want to do the lovey dovey stuff on the later leg. I went to 3 shows on the first US leg and 3 on the second, and I noticed this difference.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

It is my number one alltime favorite song by anyone, and I think it should be dropped from their live shows.

Bono can't hit the notes anymore, it's sad but true. And the other 3 members of the band play the song different than they used to, each tour it seems to become further from the original. I'm sorry, but if Bono can't sing it and the band can't play it like they used to then just drop it.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 04-04-2002).]

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
I went to 3 shows on the first US leg and 3 on the second, and I noticed this difference.

wow. i thought the opposite. i got the impression he was very 'lovey-dovey' on both legs.
1st leg, montreal #2, straddles girl on stage
2nd leg, montreal, brought a lady who was quite late into her pregnancy on stage from the first row of seats and danced with her. that was really quite cool to see.

oh well maybe it's just monreal.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
wow. i thought the opposite. i got the impression he was very 'lovey-dovey' on both legs.
1st leg, montreal #2, straddles girl on stage
2nd leg, montreal, brought a lady who was quite late into her pregnancy on stage from the first row of seats and danced with her. that was really quite cool to see.

oh well maybe it's just monreal.

But the difference was, with Mel in May, it was very sexual, and with the pregnant lady it was 'sweet.' They were both loving, but it got to be less of a sexual innuendo and contact thing, and just a nice thing. At the shows I went to, guys were pulled to play guitar. There was no hand holding or nearly as much flirting with the girls at the tip as he had done on the first leg. Maybe it was because Ali's Dad was there at one of the shows
wink.gif
Though they did keep up the intimate fan contact, I do think they scaled back on the more sexual stuff, I don't know how else to say it, but that's how it looked.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

I wish they would play WOWY with the intensity of the rattle and hum days. The R&H version was so full of energy and emotion. Then you look at Popmart from Mexico, and it seems all of them were just playing the song to get through it. I want to see them play it with more intensity.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Yes I agree it was very intense in R&H and at the Love Town concerts.

I wouldn't mind at all if they dropped this song from the set list. They have so many gems to choose from.

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
It is my number one alltime favorite song by anyone, and I think it should be dropped from their live shows.

Bono can't hit the notes anymore, it's sad but true. And the other 3 members of the band play the song different than they used to, each tour it seems to become further from the original. I'm sorry, but if Bono can't sing it and the band can't play it like they used to then just drop it.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 04-04-2002).]

It's good to hear that a fan of the song feels this way.

WOWY from Popmart and Elevation are absolutely Breathtaking. I have to disagree with the majority and say it's better now than it used to be. Bono may not be able to sing it the way he used and the band may not play it the way they used, but this can be said for a number of songs, Especially streets. Streets sounds far different live than in the studio, and Larry's drum part has changed over the last few tours. My 2 cents...
smile.gif

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

They should have left the song alone. The R&H version is perfect. I wish they would go back to playin ISHFWILF and Bullit they way they were on JT. I've heard enough of the new sound and long for the old.

For me it is one of those songs live that I still enjoy BUT if they dont play it, I really dont miss it all that much.

I do agree though that they dont play it with the same intensity they did in 1987. But they dont play Sunday Bloody Sunday with the same intensity they did in 1983 and they dont play Pride with the same intensity they did in 1985. Why? Because Bono's voice couldnt take it playing it that way any longer. Does that mean they should be dropped and never played again? Definately NOT.

The only U2 song for me that needs to be played at every show is Streets. Other than that I dont think any song is mandatory.

Originally posted by zooropa16:
WOWY from Popmart and Elevation are absolutely Breathtaking. I have to disagree with the majority and say it's better now than it used to be. Bono may not be able to sing it the way he used and the band may not play it the way they used, but this can be said for a number of songs, Especially streets. Streets sounds far different live than in the studio, and Larry's drum part has changed over the last few tours. My 2 cents...
smile.gif

Yeah, for me it being different isn't a bad thing. I love the song on the album and I love it a live. I'm so glad they included a live version of it with the "Please" single.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

My favourite version is still probably R&H with the extra version, but let me just say that the Boston DVD version is very very reat imo. When I saw the dvd for the first time it definatley stood out as one of the highlights.

Originally posted by Lemonator:
I wish they would play WOWY with the intensity of the rattle and hum days. The R&H version was so full of energy and emotion. Then you look at Popmart from Mexico, and it seems all of them were just playing the song to get through it. I want to see them play it with more intensity.

I couldn't agree more. WOWY in R&H is absolutely the BEST I've ever heard, along with SBS. Bono's voice was so deep and whole (if you know what I mean). It was such a passionate and intense version. Plus, the bass audible, Edge's guitar and Larry's drumming were simply awesome. If you have the R&H outtakes boot (basically just the DVD sound in a cd), you can even hear Bono's guitar.

I can never get over this version!
wink.gif

With or Without You during the Zooropa/Zoomerang Tour is the closest U2 has ever been near perfection

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom