Window in the Skies vs Sweetest Thing vs Electrical Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think any of them really leap out as outstanding. Window in the Skies for me is the best of them. Electrical Storm seems a little contrived, particularly the William Orbit mix. Musically contrived, lyrically weak anyway. Sweetest Thing is a way, way too sweet for me. I wouldn't ever expect real brilliance from a one off U2 song though. I think their best stuff will always come in the middle of a greater moment, ie when they're buried in the greater environment of creating an album and everything that goes with it. Does that make sense? So that's my order -
1) WITS
2) ES
3) ST

Sweetest Thing is number one to me, but I really don't like WITS, it sounds like Bono has nothing to say and the music is over produced. In other words it's too pop and not enough meaning for me.

On a scale of 1-10 (where, for example, "With or Without You" and "One" are 10s, and "Miami" is a 1):

1) Window in the Skies = 9.8
2) Sweetest Thing = 7
3) Electrical Storm = 6.5

"This might be our best song" - Bono, on 'Window in the Skies'

jonnytakeawalk said:

Whoa thats high!!!!!

Do you really think its THAT good??!! I mean do you really think its up there with One, with or without you, streets or bad???!!!

Yep. I think it's one of their 10 best songs ever. I actually heard Bono's quote about the song ("this might be our best song ever") before I heard the song itself, and I thought, yeah right, whatever, Bono always says that stuff.

But then I heard the song and was just blown away. It's right up there with 'Beautiful Day' and 'Sometimes...' as far as their recent stuff.

LyricalDrug said:

Yep. I think it's one of their 10 best songs ever. I actually heard Bono's quote about the song ("this might be our best song ever") before I heard the song itself, and I thought, yeah right, whatever, Bono always says that stuff.

But then I heard the song and was just blown away. It's right up there with 'Beautiful Day' and 'Sometimes...' as far as their recent stuff.

I really like the song too but I dont know about it being up there with the classics just yet

1. Electrical Storm (not the Orbit mix though, the b-side version)

2. Sweetest Thing (more for the bass but it is a real love song, as it's written about Bono's true love Ali. )

3. Window in the Skies. Probably the Beatles vibe I keep reading about, sorry to the Beatles adorers, they just don't "click" with me. I'm just not in the fanclub. Now if they were saying the song sounds like the Who, or early Clash, I might like it more. It still has enough of the "U2" vibe though for me to enjoy it.

1: WITS
2: Sweetest Thing
3: Electrical Storm

Window In The Skies just has that special something that makes it stand above the others. Some of the lyrics aren't up to much, but the chorus more than makes up for that.

1) Electrical Storm -- because pretty much tops any U2 song ever

2) Sweetest Thing -- Like I was telling my brother yesterday it's a cute fluffy song, and let's face it, I'm a girl and we love cute fluffy things

3) Window in the Skies -- Brilliant lyrics, but the intro really bugs me

Sweetest Thing 7.5
ST with phones 7.8
Eletrical Storm 8.0
ES Band Version 8.3
WITS 8.3

I love Window in the Skies, but I may have to go with Electrical Storm on this one... has some brilliant lines (I love "swimming in the sound"). I actually think my favourite version is the leaked demo one from Radio One, before the song got produced to death. The William Orbit mix is best after that. Good build-up.

Both songs beat out Sweetest Thing easily.

Window In the Skies has really grown on me. I listen to it obsessively at this point.

The original Electrical Storm would come next, very solid rock song.

I don't even rate the updated Sweetest Thing. The B side version was a great hidden gem. A secret weapon I would drop on people while dj'ing parties in college. The raw sound it has better serves the lyric.
The update is a syrupy abortion of a great song.

I think WITS is the weakest to be honest. Sweetest Thing and Electrical Storm were both very good, probably ES slightly moreso.

So I would say:

Electrical Storm
Sweetest Thing
Window in the Skies

(though there's a much bigger gap between second and third than there is between first and second).

What is wrong with a song being catchy? I don't mind catchy songs. On the other hand, I do mind overproduced ones and songs with poor lyrics. I think Window in the Skies is overall a good song. I think to properly appreciate (or criticize) WITS, we will need to see what the next album sounds like - that will help put the song into perspective since the "newness" of it will have worn out.

I do think out of the 3, Electrical Storm, at the time of its release, was musically more innovative for U2, than the other 2. The demo leaked on Radio 1 is amazing. As B would say: "Edge is on fire".

1. Electrical Storm
2. Window in the Skies
3. The Sweetest Thing.

-Cyril

thrillme said:
1. Electrical Storm (not the Orbit mix though, the b-side version)

2. Sweetest Thing (more for the bass but it is a real love song, as it's written about Bono's true love Ali. )

3. Window in the Skies. Probably the Beatles vibe I keep reading about, sorry to the Beatles adorers, they just don't "click" with me. I'm just not in the fanclub. Now if they were saying the song sounds like the Who, or early Clash, I might like it more. It still has enough of the "U2" vibe though for me to enjoy it.

:up:

I agree with pretty much every word. Thanks for saving me the need to write my own post. :wink:

wits kicks the crap out of both electrical storm and sweetest thing. and then, ladies and gentlemen, it does it once more.

dietcokeofevil said:
Sweetest Electrical Sky

:lol:

I'd have to go with Electrical Window Thing, myself.

Or put another way...

1. Electrical Storm
2.WITS

238. Sweetest Thing

I don't like the original version either... :|

Window In The Skies
Electrical storm Ullrick mix/aka bbc leak
Sweetest Thing

if it'd be any other ES version, it would be at rock bottom of the chart...

Back
Top Bottom