Willy's Diary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
Can someone who has renewed their u2.com subscription please post Willy's diary in here?

Im keen to see what he had to say about his stay in Oz!!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed or not, but I don't think it's wrong to post some entries.
Mods, feel free to delete my post if necesary.

From all the entries, this one might be the funniest one (and seeing bono_man is from Brisbane ;) ):

Show day, Brisbane.

Much to my surprise I got a call from Andi Watson, Radiohead’s lighting designer and a good friend of mine, saying he was in Brisbane, so we met up for breakfast. His girlfriend, Felicity, lives here and he’s taking a brief holiday. We had an hour or two to catch up before leaving the hotel, inadvertently not paying the café bill on departure (I’ve been a little distracted recently). En route to the venue I checked into the band hotel. I’ve been staying in town in order to be close to the venue, whilst they’ve been staying up on the Gold Coast in the Versace Palace – a hotel that looks exactly as over the top as you’d expect from a Versace Palace. It’s Melbourne Cup day, which is a horse race that brings the country to a complete standstill. The entire band posse had gathered in Bono’s room to watch the race and participate in a group betting pool which I never fully understood.

When the race was done I spent a couple of hours working with Bono on last details of the show. We’ve got a good looking set list, and the band is in pretty good shape, so it seemed like we would do OK. We worked till about 4pm then I hitched a ride to the venue in the band’s helicopter, as you do. Once at the gig there seemed to be endless running around until show time, but that’s only to be expected on a first night.

The gig itself went well enough, with a couple of funny moments. When the lights came up at the top of the first number, ‘City of Blinding Lights’, I could see in the camera close up that The Edge had a large green praying mantis sitting on top of his head. He really did – I’m not making this up. There was a bright green mantis happily cleaning its mandibles perched on Edge’s black beanie. It wasn’t overly noticeable on the stage screens (and besides there’s a hell of a lot going on at that point in the show) but at mission control on the TV monitor for Edge’s camera we could clearly see the little chap perched there, in the best seat in the house. It sat there for a minute or so, then started to move about, exploring his new black woolly domain. It crawled forward and had a look down at Edge’s guitar technique, then turned around and wandered back over the crown of Edge’s head until we realised that a few more insect steps and the thing might fall down the back of Edge’s neck, which would have been highly entertaining but possibly disastrous for the show. Mercifully it held on until the blackout before Vertigo, when The Edge’s guitar tech discreetly slipped on stage and flicked it into oblivion.

We did a runner back to the Versace Mansion after the show, all relieved to have got the ball rolling again. There was a nice hospitality set up at the hotel, right on a deck overlooking the harbour. It was a beautiful night, full moon, the whole bit. By about 4am there were just a few of us left up; Bono, me and half a dozen of the female tour staff. It was decided that we should go for a night stroll, so we headed to the marina. Sadly, there was a large security gate between us and the boats, secured with an electronic lock. As a joke we started trying our hotel room keys in the lock and to our surprise and delight one of them opened the gate. Striding along the jetties between the enormous private yachts, Bono was asserting “you know, you’d be surprised how many people leave the keys in the boats”, so I knew trouble was brewing. It turned out that on the Gold Coast keys are not necessarily left so liberally strewn around boat yards, so it looked for a while like we were going nowhere, but by this time the idea of being out on the inky black water was so delicious that there was no going back. In the end the only vessel we could find to liberate was a small rubber dinghy, no bigger than a bathtub. Telling ourselves that it’s not the size that counts, we gleefully jumped in and squeaked by the gigantic yachts either side. There were just three of us in the little boat, Bono, Catriona and me, slipping through the water and out into the vast blackness of the harbour. It was almost perfectly still, the moon behind streaky clouds, and not a sound to be heard other than the swish of the oars through the rippling water and the distant cries of “Are ye feckin’ mad or WHAT…?” coming from our friends on the rapidly receding quayside. In the midst of this idyll I was overcome by a sense of great nostalgia. I haven’t been involved in any major boat-stealing since the headed days of Zoo TV. (And don’t worry, we put it back after the sun came up.)

You can find pics of the creature on Edge's beany here http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167988&pagenumber=1

Last edited:
Day after last Sydney gig:

Day off, Sydney.

Having turned in at 5am, I didn’t exactly rush out of bed, but made it for breakfast as they were closing up. Spent a while attempting to get through some of my email backlog which currently seems to be a task akin to painting the Golden Gate bridge.

By late afternoon I was ready for a break so took up an invitation from Bono to come over to the house where he’s staying for a barbecue. It was a relatively small gathering but there was great food and some fun things to do, like croquet and tennis. It was a real spring day and I was overcome with that change-of-season feeling you get when the weather turns and you know that winter’s finally behind you. Except that we’ve got about another two weeks of this till winter returns with a vengeance, but I’m choosing not to think about that at present.

Kylie is in town and I know quite a few of her tour staff. I was planning to go to the show on Tuesday, but during the course of the afternoon, Bono threw into conversation that he was going to sing with Kylie that night. Howls of delight went up all round and suddenly tonight was the only night for a man to go to a Kylie Minogue concert.

A group of us (including the whole of U2) headed down to the Entertainment Centre, which is a very nostalgic building for U2 as we did five shows there on our very first trip to Australia in 1993, then nine more on the LoveTown tour. The show is in two parts and we were given the nod that the song with Bono was to close the first half. It was a really fun pop show, but given that the audience was composed largely of twelve year old girls and gay men (not necessarily together) I wasn’t sure what sort of a reception Bono would get, as neither of these groups could be said to form part of U2’s core constituency. However, when Kylie brought Bono onstage, it absolutely brought the house down. I felt vaguely paternal for a moment or two. He sang really well, despite confessing not to know the song -Kids - that afternoon. It was really great fun to watch.

Smasher and I slipped away only to find that bars shut at 10pm on Sunday in Sydney, which was somewhat disorientating, though perhaps rather refreshing. Consequently we ended up in the hotel, another night chatting and looking out at the Opera House, a sight it’s impossible to get too much of.

Thanks greety! They were really cool to read. Would you mind posting any about Melbourne? :D Hahaa

bono_man said:
Can someone who has renewed their u2.com subscription please post Willy's diary in here?

Im keen to see what he had to say about his stay in Oz!!

Can't you read it yourself? It's at the u2.com site.

:tsk:

belbird said:
Thanks greety! They were really cool to read. Would you mind posting any about Melbourne? :D Hahaa

So far,the diary only goes upto nov 17th.

Travel day, Adelaide – Melbourne.

Having gone to bed in a dark, freezing city, I pulled back the curtains this morning to find a beautiful sun-drenched river scene 26 floors below me. For a moment I assumed we’d moved cities and that I just didn’t remember the journey (not an uncommon occurrence), but it turned out to still be Adelaide, now reborn in an overnight weather makeover.

We flew out of Adelaide quite early (for us) as Bono needed to get to Melbourne in good time for the Make Poverty History gig. On arrival, Melbourne was equally beautiful, which came as something of a relief as our advance team had warned us of hail and snow here only the day before yesterday. I’ve spent a lot of time in this city, having lived here for periods of time in 1988/89, then another three months in 2003 constructing the glorious triumph that was We Will Rock You at the Regent Theatre. U2 have been here many times of course, most notably with the LoveTown tour when we all holed up at the hotel Como for about a month.

I headed for Brunswick Street to meet up with friends and really enjoyed settling back into the Fitzroy vibe. This is a brief visit, but I intend to make the most of it.

Why would you care? How does us wanting to know what is in Willy's diary without paying a fee to u2.com affect you?

Back
Top Bottom