will u2 ever play a festival again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
like glastonbury? they haven't done that one yet.

but do they feel that they are too big nowadays?

Man, I wish.

Knowing Bono he'll probably find a way to sponser a (RED) Festival or something, I dunno.

I would love for U2 to headline Glastonbury :drool:

but apparently there is some bad blood between U2 and Michael Eavis

here are some quotes :wink:

Eavis said that "blighters" U2 "really mucked me around" and the band could forget about ever being asked to play Glastonbury in the future.

Eavis criticised the super-band for having "really mucked me around" over their decision to pull-out of headlining at Glastonbury this year as it "wouldn't be convenient". He said that if the band wanted to play again then they should call him as he certainly won't be calling them.

So are you going to tell me who are headlining Glastonbury next year?

I’ll tell you one band who will definitely not be playing is U2.

Last edited:
I'd see them playing the Voodoo Festival or Bonnaroo over anything else.

i think glastonbury is the only likely thing. bono said recently that they feel that they have missed out on something in their lives.

but then again, bono says a lot of crap.

Nah, Africa/charity festivals are the domain of "Bono and Edge", not U2.

I don't see the point in U2 playing festivals at this stage in the game anyway.

Axver said:
Nah, Africa/charity festivals are the domain of "Bono and Edge", not U2.

I don't see the point in U2 playing festivals at this stage in the game anyway.

Live8 :confused:

yeah, but can live8 really be regarded as a 'festival'? i'd say its more like a charity event.

a true festival gets repeated each year.

And why would U2 play one when they could sell out the festival venue by themselves in just a few minutes anyway?

@axver:

to show that they aren't so snobbish yet that they cannot play a festival.

metallica has played roskilde multiple times, even though they could easily sell 100,000 tickets themselves here in denmark, considering their popularity here (lars ulrich :rockon: )

Maybe if they toned their staging down on a future tour to something a festival stage could support.

Mind you...I could only see them doing Glasto. That would be amazing. I would have to sell everything I own to get to that gig!

I can see them playing New Orleans under special circumstances -- say to celebrate the rebuilding of the Lower Ninth Ward and the return of every member of the diaspora to a city that's now half its size.

Meaning never.

Chizip said:

They played 3 songs(plus 1 maxi snippet) - One less than was played on the Conan O'Brien show on USTV.

They also played a 2 hour Vienna show later that night.

I just don't think U2 are that game to play a full set infront of an audience that is not entirely their own.

What would the benefit be of playing a festival?

a) for the band

b) for the fans

I just can't see that it would offer near the experience that a regular U2 concert does.

Agreed it wouldn't be the same as seeing a U2 show, but U2 at Bonaroo or the like would be amazing.

indra said:
What would the benefit be of playing a festival?

a) for the band

b) for the fans

I just can't see that it would offer near the experience that a regular U2 concert does.

it would remove the safety net off playing in front of your rabidly loyal fans. at a regular u2 gig there's nothing to prove, everyone there loves u2.
at a festival they would actually have to work to get the crowds favor. which would be great. just look at the old shows from when they were younger.

Last edited:
kennerado said:
They will be playing in my Festival, its called Emerald Fusion.

i don't think ssssssssssssoooooooo. they're playing my festival of sorrow first. they will open with "40" and close with "drowning man". it will be a 3 day show, and each show will have a different setlist with the exception of the opener and closer as fore-mentioned.
at the 1st show there will be a mandatory audience sing-a-long of "a man and a woman" and "wild honey" or everyone will be tear-gased.
2nd show will have a mandatory audience dress code. you must, i repeat, "YOU MUST" come dressed in one of the costumes the band wore in the 'discoteque" video. don't comply and you will be sent home in your skivvies.
3rd night, there will be a "pose like bono" contest. win and you will take his place in the band.
the band will not be playing the following songs as we have heard them to many times and i don't know 'bout you people but i'm sick off hearing them;
1: bullet the blue sky
2: until the end of the world
3: with or without you, or as is the case these days "with or without U2"
4: still haven't found what i'm looking for.
5: Sunday Bloody Sunday
6: Desire (acoustic)
7: pride
8: Beautiful Day
any request or catcalls for these songs will result in you being forced to listen to backstreet boys, new kids on the block, britney spears, cd's back to back.

I and I in the said:
Weren't the Slane Castle shows part of some festival?

We call Slane a concert here. You have your one big band and then some support acts. It's only a day long, the only time there have been two Slane shows in one year was when U2 played in 2001.

Michael Eavis has been talking about the line up for Glasto
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6296489.stm

Most of the line-up's done now," Mr Eavis told BBC 6Music, adding that the "biggest band in the world" had also contacted him about performing.

But he denied it was U2 or Coldplay. "You won't know until after 1 April", when tickets go on sale, he said.

So who does he think "the biggest band in the world" is if it's not U2 or is it them and he's just stringing everyone along?

He probs thinks its Oasis being british.

In merry old we always say " biggest in the world " meaning " biggest in Britain ".

The Who i suppose could play.

Greenlight said:
Michael Eavis has been talking about the line up for Glasto
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6296489.stm

Most of the line-up's done now," Mr Eavis told BBC 6Music, adding that the "biggest band in the world" had also contacted him about performing.

But he denied it was U2 or Coldplay. "You won't know until after 1 April", when tickets go on sale, he said.

So who does he think "the biggest band in the world" is if it's not U2 or is it them and he's just stringing everyone along?

Radiohead:wink:

who the hells knows.....what if it is Pink Floyd...:drool:

Back
Top Bottom