Will U2 ever get the MTV Icon treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
It would be cool if they did. We'd see today's acts covering U2! I wonder how U2 would like that. Maybe that would come to coincide with their next album release. If they do get the icon treatment, who'd your lineup be? I really don't have one, but Id like to see Avril do a cover of Mofo!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

So far the Icon series have been a joke. I've seen the ones for Aerosmith, Janet Jackson, and Metallica and and they were horrible. Not one of them did true justice. The idea is great, but the execution has always been bad.

If I was U2 and someone told me Avril was going to be paying tribute to me, I'd leave the building.

I have seen 2 Mtv Icon (Aerosmith, Metallica), the truth is a pity that great classic songs are destroyed for so bad pop singers

the version that Limp Bizkit did to Sanitarium was an insult

Unless MTV can rangle up "relevant" people to pay tribute - and I say "relevant" in reference to the current TRL demographic - than they hopefully won't put U2 up to the Icon series.. But who knows what will happen for the next album. :shrug:

I hope this does not happen.

Even when they got the Video Vangueard award it was kind of a farce with all those new school kids applauding them.

Although, mark Fisher is the designer for ICON I hope he does not put a word for U2 in...

I also don`t like this whole MTV Icon thing.
But if the following artists would perform a song ....

- Coldplay - Pride
- Radiohead - Bad (well, that`s the most unrealistic one / Tom and Bono are friends, but I am quite sure that Radiohead would never perform on such an event)
- R.E.M. - Stuck (acoustic)
- Elvis Costello - One
- Marilyn Manson - The Fly (why not?):wink:

Well that would be a nice show.

Last edited:
Great line up.. and yes, that would be a wonderful show - but unfortunately, would probably not garner the ratings MTV would look for.

jick said:
I really don't have one, but Id like to see Avril do a cover of Mofo!

:no:

God, no. For the love of all that is good and holy, no.

I get very nervous about covers. There are only a few bands I wouldn't mind covering U2 stuff and none of them are what you'd see on MTV anyway.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So far the Icon series have been a joke. I've seen the ones for Aerosmith, Janet Jackson, and Metallica and and they were horrible. Not one of them did true justice. The idea is great, but the execution has always been bad.

If I was U2 and someone told me Avril was going to be paying tribute to me, I'd leave the building.

I agree with everything you wrote 100%.

The Music would do good Pop covers. :up:

That MusicCares event a while back had some decent artists doing U2 songs. A similar line-up would not be thoroughly disappointing.

jick is a guy that used to be, and may still be on wire, named J

i think he is legit, but he usually tries to stir up the pot and i hope he doesnt really agree with everything he says

his points are rediculous. he never ceases to drop bon jovi or avril's name at any given time, and it drives me insane. perhaps he will finally push me into getting banned, who knows.

well bon jovi and avril are so similiar to u2, how can their names not pop up

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
seriously, i want someone to look into this jick carachter. is he some sort of stupid side handle for someone else?

i want to know.

I am not a handle for someone else. I am my own man and have never ever used aliases. I have been on wire from its early days in gartholamew.com to the reflector archive, to u2wire.com, to the yahoogroups wire-u2 and u2-list. I have been around for 6 years already (I started around the time the Popmart tour started). The past year or so, I have been content hanging around in the interference forum. I even used to have my own wallpaper page here in interference, but has since move to u2literary.com. My opinions are usually well-respected but I always have some people who stalk me to try to discredit me and tarnish my good reputation but that will never work. I have been around longer than most (6 years) and I know everything to do with U2 fandom in the internet and how to handle all the flames that come with it.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Chizip said:
well bon jovi and avril are so similiar to u2, how can their names not pop up

Bon Jovi is similar to U2 only in the longevity, staying power and relevance aspect. But their songwriting is totally different. Bon Jovi is more in-your-face and instant-gratification style. U2 is more deep and goes down to your soul. You have to analyze U2, while you just have to swallow Bon Jovi and you'll get it.

Avril is more in the Bon Jovi mode in songwriting, but her youthful enthusiasm and rocking style are reminscrent of a young U2 (Boy era). Avril's Sk8er Boi song also has shades of Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain in how it talks about love and rejection. U2 hardly writes songs wherein the character is an outcast or a reject. U2 aren't about angst. They are more spiritual.

I don't think Bon Jovi will ever perform in an MTV Icon for U2. Their band is too old and won't go well with the pop kids. Avril would be a more likely candidate and as I'd want to reiterate myself, I think she'd make a good cover of Mofo (did you see her do Metallica's Fuel? It was cool!).

If there will be an MTV Icon for U2, I am sure it will be contemporary groups who are marketable and mainstream, but U2 will still have a hand in selecting who will do what.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Jick rules because you read the things he writes and you're all into it because he can hook you by making some interesting points and then... then he makes a statement like "Avril's Sk8er Boi song also has shades of Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain" and then you laugh and realize he has an odd sense of humor.

i'd watch it for the comedians

sue me, i think they're funny.

"aerosmith - steven tyler, joe perry, and uh, two other guys"
"if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands, yeaaaeh!"

david said:
Jick rules because you read the things he writes and you're all into it because he can hook you by making some interesting points and then... then he makes a statement like "Avril's Sk8er Boi song also has shades of Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain" and then you laugh and realize he has an odd sense of humor.

yes, exactly.

Back
Top Bottom