Will U2 ever get the MTV Icon treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, enough talking about me, back to the topic at hand. Who do you think will make a good lineup for an MTV Icon for U2. I want a realistic lineup of artists and songs. Songs must be popular U2 songs (maybe one or two oddballs thrown in) and the artists must usually be modern top 40 mainstream artists who U2 respect and who are also popular with the pop kids and teens. Bon Jovi and REM are way too old and over the hill. The Hives and Coldplay are only popular in Britain, while Radiohead are too anti-mainstream nowadays. So who else do you have in mind? What about Eminem doing a cover of "All I Want Is You"? Or Vanessa Carlton doing a cover of "Numb"? I think S Club 7 doing "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" would make a good oddball cover. John Meyer can do "Lemon", and Jewel can do "Pride." Hmmm, the more I think of it, the more I can think of lineups. Oh, how can I forget ....Norah Jones! Norah will make a good singer for "The Fly" or "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me."

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:

Avril is more in the Bon Jovi mode in songwriting, but her youthful enthusiasm and rocking style are reminscrent of a young U2 (Boy era). Avril's Sk8er Boi song also has shades of Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain in how it talks about love and rejection.

Avril does not write her own songs. She has a songwriting team behind her, and is nothing more than a pop puppet. So, to compare her to respected lyricists is a bit odd. You might as well compare some of Britney Spears' songs to early Michael Jackson.

jick said:
Ok, enough talking about me, back to the topic at hand. Who do you think will make a good lineup for an MTV Icon for U2. I want a realistic lineup of artists and songs. Songs must be popular U2 songs (maybe one or two oddballs thrown in) and the artists must usually be modern top 40 mainstream artists who U2 respect and who are also popular with the pop kids and teens. Bon Jovi and REM are way too old and over the hill. The Hives and Coldplay are only popular in Britain, while Radiohead are too anti-mainstream nowadays. So who else do you have in mind? What about Eminem doing a cover of "All I Want Is You"? Or Vanessa Carlton doing a cover of "Numb"? I think S Club 7 doing "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" would make a good oddball cover. John Meyer can do "Lemon", and Jewel can do "Pride." Hmmm, the more I think of it, the more I can think of lineups. Oh, how can I forget ....Norah Jones! Norah will make a good singer for "The Fly" or "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me."

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

this is absurd.

obviously your not real. that or your just taking the piss. a lot of piss. so much piss in fact, that a toilet would have to flush frequently to keep up with the piss your taking.

why do i even get mad.

I have to say, I hope not

I personally think that MTV's ICON is a joke and a humilliation to the group and the groups that cover'em are crap.

jick said:

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

ok I think you're sick

go see a doctor

:yes:

rio589 said:

ok I think you're sick

go see a doctor

:yes:

Rather than telling me I'm sick why don't you focus and think hard about the topic on hand. Give me your own realistic and feasible lineup of artists and songs for a U2 MTV Icon treatment.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

rio589 said:
I have to say, I hope not

I personally think that MTV's ICON is a joke and a humilliation to the group and the groups that cover'em are crap.

It's a humiliation because the bands ICONized so far were crap and they did not select very good people to cover them. Maybe there are artists who can cover U2 who aren't crap. It's not fair to dismiss the whole MTV airplay lineup of artists are ALL crap, after all U2 are also part of that list of those who get steady MTV airplay. I am sure you will find good and deserving artists who can cover U2, you just need to think harder. I have given my list and I would be really interested in your list.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

HelloAngel said:

Avril does not write her own songs. She has a songwriting team behind her, and is nothing more than a pop puppet. So, to compare her to respected lyricists is a bit odd. You might as well compare some of Britney Spears' songs to early Michael Jackson.

She is credited as at least co-writing all her songs. Even Bono did not write them alone, Edge did help him and Larry and Clayton threw in some lyrical suggestions in the past. So what if Avril has a songwriting team? At least at such a young age, she co-wrote the songs. And at 16 years old (when Let Go was recorded), she can co-write a song (Sk8er Boi) that evokes shades of the much more mature Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain. I don't think the songs Bono wrote at 17 were that had earth shattering profound lyrics (sorry Stories for Boys, Boy/Girl and Out Of Control aren't exactly lyrical gems). And look where Bono is now, right in the top of the lyrical mountain alongside Rush and Sting. But if Bono did work with songwriters when he started off, he might have even been a better songwriter than he is now (as if that is even possible!). Besides, this is not a discussion of songwriting prowess. The ICON treatment has artists covering U2 songs, not writing them, so it's a non-issue really. I think Avril did a nice interpretation of Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door but I liked U2's from the UF Tour slightly better.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

If I had to pick, i'd pick like this. I don't know why really, I just would. This is how I think the show would play out in set list form.

1. Coldplay - Pride

2. Utada Hikaru - With or Without You

3. Radiohead - Please

4. P.O.D. - Bullet the blue sky

5. Michelle Branch - One

6. Matchbox 20 - I still haven't found I'm looking for

7. Goo Goo Dolls - Stay ( Far away, so close) acoustic

8. No Doubt - Elevation

9. Coldplay ( again ) - Sunday Bloody Sunday

10. U2 - Bad

12. U2 - Where the streets have no name

Last edited:
No Doubt- Lemon.

Coldplay- Pride.

Pearl Jam- One Tree Hill.

Norah Jones- Running To Stand Still

Wyclef Jean- Numb.

The Music- Mofo.

U2- I agree with the last two :up:

This list has some artists that I don't necessarily like, and ones that probably wouldn't do this type of show. But I think that for the most part they could build on the original songs, but still stay coherent with the masses... and maybe intrigue some U2 fans.

I feel the problem with doing a U2 icon is that U2 are so U2, they aren't like anybody or anything for anybody to really be them.. Which is great. U2 transcend genres to the point where U2 are their own genre that is what they want it to be.

Good God I can't believe Jick is still trying to name drop Avril as if she's a legitimate artist.

This is how her input in the songwriting goes (and I'm serious...if I was more patient I'd look up the interview this came from). Her team of writers and musicians come up with both the majority of the lyrics and the music. What Avril does is, they'll play a couple different riffs, and she might choose the one she likes better. Same with lyrics, although there are a couple songs where she apparently wrote most of the lyrics (probably a 51/49 split...). The only reasons she receives any credit for songwriting is because of that tiny amount of input, but more so that the company can sell more records off the false assumption that she actually writes her own music.

Avril Lavigne is a fake. Just as manufactured (if not more so) as Britney Spears and the boy bands. She doesn't write her own songs, can barely play guitar, and can't even skateboard well. Yet her image screams skateboarding, guitar playing, write-my-own-songs punk girl. :rolleyes:

Bear enough. I mean it. Stop harassing people. You dont like what you read, so ignore it. You want to get yourself banned, fine. Dont drag others who have nothing to do with you into it.
Anyone else who thinks this is a fine time tro start on the author of this thread, same deal. Pick apart the topic all you want, but leave the personal attacks out of it.

Enough is enough.

Yup, I am aware of moderation policies and respect them, but how can one tolerate some great musicians being repeatedly trivialised? I'm sorry, but what I have written about this guy, he's been writting about some of the musical genius's of the last 10 years for a while now.

I know I could have been more polite, but sometimes things have to be conveyed the other way round, if not for the sake of argument but for the sake of letting it out. Thats what I think is this thread all about anyway.

Convoy said:
If I had to pick, i'd pick like this. I don't know why really, I just would. This is how I think the show would play out in set list form.

1. Coldplay - Pride

2. Utada Hikaru - With or Without You

3. Radiohead - Please

4. P.O.D. - Bullet the blue sky

5. Michelle Branch - One

6. Matchbox 20 - I still haven't found I'm looking for

7. Goo Goo Dolls - Stay ( Far away, so close) acoustic

8. No Doubt - Elevation

9. Coldplay ( again ) - Sunday Bloody Sunday

10. U2 - Bad

12. U2 - Where the streets have no name

I agree with U2 doing Bad. I don't think any other band in this world can do Bad the way U2 does. Bad is THE live U2 song.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

cujo said:
No Doubt- Lemon.

Coldplay- Pride.

Pearl Jam- One Tree Hill.

Norah Jones- Running To Stand Still

Wyclef Jean- Numb.

The Music- Mofo.

U2- I agree with the last two :up:

This list has some artists that I don't necessarily like, and ones that probably wouldn't do this type of show. But I think that for the most part they could build on the original songs, but still stay coherent with the masses... and maybe intrigue some U2 fans.

Very nice suggestion. Now that I come to think of it, Norah Jones would make a good fit for Running To Stand Still --- better than my original suggestion of her doing The Fly. Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Diemen said:
Good God I can't believe Jick is still trying to name drop Avril as if she's a legitimate artist.

This is how her input in the songwriting goes (and I'm serious...if I was more patient I'd look up the interview this came from). Her team of writers and musicians come up with both the majority of the lyrics and the music. What Avril does is, they'll play a couple different riffs, and she might choose the one she likes better. Same with lyrics, although there are a couple songs where she apparently wrote most of the lyrics (probably a 51/49 split...). The only reasons she receives any credit for songwriting is because of that tiny amount of input, but more so that the company can sell more records off the false assumption that she actually writes her own music.

Avril Lavigne is a fake. Just as manufactured (if not more so) as Britney Spears and the boy bands. She doesn't write her own songs, can barely play guitar, and can't even skateboard well. Yet her image screams skateboarding, guitar playing, write-my-own-songs punk girl. :rolleyes:

Ok that's it. You are entitled to your own opinion about Avril no matter how wrong or right you are. This is a U2 forum so let's stick to U2. So let's not veer too much off topic. But based on the tone of your post, I guess you aren't for Avril covering a U2 song in MTV Icon. So you've made your point and your opinion. Thanks!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

I was thinking about this when I watched the first Icon on Janet Jackson. (truth be told I don't know any of the featured bands well enough to judge the covers) I think U2 could be up for it someday. (I agree the Musicares lineup was great)

I would pick

The Strokes - I will follow
Coldplay - The sweetest thing (I'm sorry but I do NOT see Chris Martin pulling of Pride)
REM - One
Red hot chili peppers - Elevation
Depeche Mode - Running to stand still
Pearl Jam - Until the end of the world
Radiohead - Numb
Metallica - Exit

U2girl said:
I was thinking about this when I watched the first Icon on Janet Jackson. (truth be told I don't know any of the featured bands well enough to judge the covers) I think U2 could be up for it someday. (I agree the Musicares lineup was great)

I would pick

Coldplay - The sweetest thing (I'm sorry but I do NOT see Chris Martin pulling of Pride)
REM - One
Radiohead - Numb
Metallica - Exit

in all honesty, i like your list more than any of the others. scratch out metallica and we have a deal. :wink:

:D Thanks. I was just trying to mix bands I would like to see in such a setting with U2 songs that best fit them. (hmmm. Metallica is optional)

Well I'm trying to think of any other bands that could do well. I can't come up with anyone doing SBS, NYD, Pride or Bad. (NO ONE does Streets right?)

Members of Queen with a singer - One tree hill
Members of INXS with a singer - Even better than the real thing

Last edited:
I think Chris Martin could do Pride... but he may never be able to sing again. He might be more fitted for The Sweetest Thing like you guys say... or maybe October.

I defintely see Coldplay being in a MTV icon for U2, if they were to do a MTV icon this year/ this month. I don't know what song though. Coldplay is defintely one of the "IT" alt-rock bands with some name recognition. The bands/ people that participate have to be in the mainstream and have name value to the MTV crowd.

I could also see Michelle Branch doing it. Her style of music is something of the "big" nature thing that was like U2 back in the day. She's popular, young, and respects the old school.

Wyclef Jean would make sense too since Bono and co. are fans of his and Wyclef likes U2. If U2 wants to do more hip hop (alah Snoop Dogg) then I could see Wu Tang doing a goofy cover.

I doubt Radiohead would do it though and REM is too "irrelevant" to the mainstream, it seems, to get the slot though I wouldn't be surprised if they were on Icon and then afterwards get Icon treatment (alah Aerosmith and Metallica).

Maybe we would see Justin Timberlake get the shot as well.

Obviously this all changes depending on the popularity of the above artists. If Pearl Jam was still popular they would probably do it and get the nod but not at this point in time IMO. Cre ed would be more likely though.

I actually enjoy watching the MTV icons and all the cover performances. I thought it was fun to see Avril doing her thing and actually I'm liking Avril a little bit more than I did when she first came out. I hope she has a great future in music. I don't mind seeing more U2 on MTV. I'm the type that would tune in to as many performances as I could of U2 and MTV icon will defintely have them performing. Sure, there will be some goofy things that can arise from having a U2 Icon thing (and I think its a show that makes the honored band look too pretentious) but hey, its all in fun.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I would pick

REM - One
Radiohead - Numb
Metallica - Exit

I quite like that list, u2girl. :up: I could see each of these bands doing a good version of the songs you picked.

Back
Top Bottom