Will U2 Ever Do Another Huge Stadium Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humbucker

The Fly
Over the last couple years I became a HUGE U2 fan.

Unfortunetly, I have never had the chance to see them live.

When Elevation was in town, I wasn't big enough of a fan to go.

As a result, I have had to live with the DVDs and VHS concerts. Although I found Bono's voice to be much better on the Boston DVD, I am still floored by the hugeness of Popmart every
time I watch the Mexico video.

I really wish I had been a fan back then and I regret having missed the big multimedia spectaculars of Zoo TV and Popmart.

My question is, do you think U2 will ever do another big huge stadium tour with all the U2 trimmings?

Although I love U2s music on its own, I would love to see an all out U2 sensory assault at least once before I die.

My guess is, that when it comes to a farewell tour, it will be stadiums, so your wish well may be granted before you die.
smile.gif

------------------
Round and round the forum I go, where I stop nobody knows, cos I'm a annoying little piece of...Interference!

yes, and I don't think it is going to be anytime soon for the farewell tour, but stadiums could be as early as the NEXT tour IMO

I bet my buttons they will.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Yes of course. Not sure if the farewell tour will be stadium or Arena though. When that day comes I would bet it will be a stadium one as well.

Originally posted by Humbucker:

My question is, do you think U2 will ever do another big huge stadium tour with all the U2 trimmings?

Although I love U2s music on its own, I would love to see an all out U2 sensory assault at least once before I die.

I don't doubt for a minute they'll do more stadiums, but I'm skeptical that we'll ever again see sensory overload conceptual stuff as over-the-top as we saw in the 90's. Sure as hell would be nice, though.

I agree with Pub Crawler. There will definately be another stadium tour (my guess is 2004) but I doubdt you will see anything like the spectacle of Zoo TV or Popmart.

God, I hope not. Here I go again, but the last time I saw them before Elevation was in a stadium. The Memorial Colliseum (sp?) in LA in 1987. I had already decided never to go to a stadium concert again, but I thought "Oh, it's U2, what the hell, how bad can it be?" Uh-huh, the band played great, but there was no contact with us at all. I can only imagine how detatched Popmart and ZooTV were. I'm sure someone will come up and tell me I'm full of shit, but give me an arena where you can see them and they can see you anyday.

You asked.

Rant over.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

I agree with Martha.

I've seen several stadium tours, and the Elevation tour, and I would prefer Elevation any day over the stadium.

Of course, it all depends on what the public demands. If u2 can sell 50,000 tickets in cities across the USA, they will do a stadium tour, so you may get your wish.

I hope they do a tour of all major U.S malls a la Tiffany's specatular tour of the mid to late 80's. man, that was awesome!

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
I want to see a U2 tour that causes sensory overload...

u didnt see Zoo TV im gathering...

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

hopefully they will take this time this summer instead of touring and make another classic album. if this album takes off then Yes a stadium tour will be in the cards this time. Lets pray at least.

Originally posted by martha:
God, I hope not. Here I go again, but the last time I saw them before Elevation was in a stadium. The Memorial Colliseum (sp?) in LA in 1987. I had already decided never to go to a stadium concert again, but I thought "Oh, it's U2, what the hell, how bad can it be?" Uh-huh, the band played great, but there was no contact with us at all. I can only imagine how detatched Popmart and ZooTV were. I'm sure someone will come up and tell me I'm full of shit, but give me an arena where you can see them and they can see you anyday.

You asked.

Rant over.

I generally agree with you. But I will say that I saw ZooTV both in arenas and the outdoor broadcast (stadiums) and I was surprised how intimate the stadium experience was.

But Madison Square Garden ZooTV was absolutely the most fantastic in-your-face intimate sensory overload love fest I have ever known. I think it was possibly the greatest show on earth (that tour, I mean). I wouldn't describe it as detached at all. I mean, it was a huge extravaganza, but it was a U2 extravaganza and that still means intimate. Maybe not intimate in terms of proximity to the band, but in the vibe that they always manage to create, that sense of oneness.

But after Elevation, it's really weird to look at concert footage from other tours and see people in rows and chairs in front of the stage.

Having seen U2 in both stadiums and arenas, I prefer to see them in a arena its more intimate,but its my guess it will be stadiums for a farewell tour, and as for the next tour whenever that will be, I rather it would be arenas.
smile.gif

As a person who only became a fan last year, I'd love to see a ZooTV-like extravaganza (it looks so great in the Sydney video) .... but I doubt they'll do another tour like Popmart or ZooTV. Stadiums, yes, I can definitely see that but not like ZooTV or Popmart.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I seriously doubt they'll do stadiums again, at least any time soon. No one is playing stadiums anymore. The new arenas are much nicer than the old ones (even if they do have stupid names like "Dunkin Donuts Arena") and it makes much more sense to play them.

If for some strange reason they did, it would have to be very limited and would only be in the very large markets, LA, Chicago, Boston, New York, maybe Northern CA and Texas. Since casual fans aren't likely to travel to see a stadium show, other markets would be in danger of not filling up the place, and then even though they sold a boat-load of tickets the press would call it a "failure"

I'm intrigued with the folks who actually prefer stadiums. What is it that makes them better than arenas for you?

While I think it would be nice to have one more stadium tour, maybe the farewell tour, generally, I prefer arenas. The intimacy is better, more people get better tickets, and the sound is more consistent throughout.

Originally posted by u2utah:
The new arenas are much nicer than the old ones (even if they do have stupid names like "Dunkin Donuts Arena") and it makes much more sense to play them.

LMAO, I really agree, it annoys me too.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by u2utah:
I'm intrigued with the folks who actually prefer stadiums. What is it that makes them better than arenas for you?

I am not one of the people who prefers stadiums, but I will say that when I saw ZooTV in a stadium, there was something about the collective consciousness of that many fans that made it really powerful. I was also in NOSEBLEEDS in that stadium and it was really, really exciting.

Actually Martha, the Joshua Tree stadium tour was their worst stadium tour. It was U2's first stadium tour, and their first attempts to play effectively in such gigantic venues.

Zoo TV Outside Broadcast was truly remarkable. The band played together so much better in 1992 than in 1987. The integration of visual and audio was remarkable, and in the world of rock is still probably unmatched. The show featured a very strong album, with great live versions.

Popmart was great in another way. The show was directed at the people in the BACK. To appreciate the video screens and everything they did during that show, you had to be at least 30 rows away. In my view it wasn't nearly as good as Zoo or Elevation, but I don't think many artists have been as successful in addressing the BACK of a stadium.

So I think you would have enjoyed those tours a lot more than the Joshua Tree stadium tour.

Though I personally crave the arena experience again - Elevation was such an amazing demonstration of what U2 can do in a building that size. And when they play stadiums, there's so many more casual fans and non-fans just checking out the spectacle - which dilutes the power of the crowd, in my view. Of course, when it does click it's amazing.

my money says the NEXT tour will be in stadiums...

SV:

you think the Joshua Tree stadium tour was their worst? I think it was amazing. A stage the size of Idaho, no props, and the band just walking out and playing - I say amazing...

Originally posted by martha:
God, I hope not. Here I go again, but the last time I saw them before Elevation was in a stadium. The Memorial Colliseum (sp?) in LA in 1987.

martha, I know that you are exploring the wilds of Wonder Valley right now, but I would like to point out that most likely that, even though the show may have sucked at the Coliseum, didn't you at least get to see the Dalton Bros???????
biggrin.gif

BTW, I liked both the stadium and the arena shows......they were all in a different space, you know?

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by BEAL:
i still think the Tiffany tour of malls is the best idea posted
Where the hell have you been???????????????

Nice to see ya bro-

Come back and post once in a while! More often!

Cheers
smile.gif

U2 with their huge increase in popularity in the States could easily play stadiums in many parts of the USA. Any Canadian or Mexican Stadium date would of course sellout as they all did on POPMART when the band was less popular. In the USA these cities would not have trouble filling up or selling out either, many with multiple stadium dates:
Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, Phoenix, Los Angelas, San Francisco, Seattle, and possible San Diego, Columbus and Pittsburgh.
Remember, a stadium tour would have cheaper ticket prices, with the average ticket price being around 55 dollars compared to 80 dollars for Elevation.
I like both Stadiums and Arena's but if I had to choose myself, I would probably pick Arena's. But just because its a stadium does not mean you will have a lot of "non-fans" in the crowd. In New York City shows for POPMART, everyone at that show was a die-hard fan, although maybe not a crazy fan of music from POP.

Originally posted by oktobergirl:
I agree with Martha.

I've seen several stadium tours, and the Elevation tour, and I would prefer Elevation any day over the stadium.

Of course, it all depends on what the public demands. If u2 can sell 50,000 tickets in cities across the USA, they will do a stadium tour, so you may get your wish.

I agree with you. I also think that the length of time the band wants to spend on the road will be another factor. If they want to appease the largest number of fans in the least amount of time then a stadium tour is a sure fire bet. I would bet that their next tour will be stadiums.

This has been my 2 cents.

Peace.

------------------
Peace on Earth.

Back
Top Bottom