Will U2 Disregard Their Golden Era? (1987-1993)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
When Zoo TV opened in Florida back in 1992, U2 opened with 7 (or was it 8?) straight songs off their new album then - Achtung Baby. Their only pre-JT song on their setlists were Bad and Pride. It was unheard off to skip I Wil Follow, Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, or New Year's Day back then. And what about the greatest closer that was 40? It was gone, too. This was the first sing of U2 saying "f*ck the past, kiss the future." Back then, it would be a sin not to play Sunday Bloody Sunday or not to end with 40. Yet U2 pulled it off, and Zoo TV redefined their careers.

Now, HTDAAB is getting comparisons to Achtung Baby. Bono has made hints that he has 11 reasons to go on tour (so we might get an opening similar to Zoo TV with so many consecutive songs from HTDAAB). U2 have also made a new fanbase with ATYCLB and HTDAAB - so big a fanbase that to be honest they don't really need the JT-Achtung fanbase anymore. ATYCLB sold close to 12 million worldwide, while HTDAAB has debuted at #1 in 32 countries plus a record 840,000 first week sales in the US - an impressive number considering that we are in the era of music piracy and mp3 downloads. So if U2 were to tour on the merits of ATYCLB and HTDAAB alone, it will still be massive.

Back in the ZOO TV opening, when Bono was told that some fans may have been disappointed that they didn't play classics such as Sunday Bloody Sunday - Bono just replied that it was only the pop kids who want that and that U2 "didn't need the pop kids anymore." Perhaps the same will apply for the HTDAAB tour? U2 could totally disregard (or maybe play two songs max) from their golden era (1987-1992).

My theory is that U2 may not want to play songs from their golden era for the same reasons as their refusal to play their classics when Zoo TV opened. Most of the new fans have vague recollections of 1987-1992 because they were too young back then. And if they remember it, what will pop to their mind is dinosaur bands or classic MTV programming. And U2 don't want to be perceived as old like the Rolling Stones. They want to be perceived as relevant and hip with today's generation.

So if they just play ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs live, and then mix it up with pre-1987 songs (like they already have with I Will Follow and Out Of Control in their promo concerts) they will be on track to achive their purpose. Pre-1987 is no big deal for U2's new fans because they weren't even born then yet so the songs will still be fresh when they hear it.

My prediction is that U2 will play 2 or 3 songs max from their 1987-1993 era. I think since HTDAAB is Achtung part 2, I wouldn't be surprised in the tour will be Zoo TV part 2. Sure, some will be disappointed why U2 didn't play their hits, but U2 have already answered that query - they don't need the pop kids.

Cheers,

J

something to think for sure. I like their new material but I will admit that it would be nice to hear some of the old tunes.

Yep I can see where your coming from there. I think there will be less from the 90's than any other part of U2's career. It seems on the promo tour they have delved back to I will Follow, Out Of Control and then also Beautiful Day as well, so this could be a pointer where they play the VERY old and the stuff since 2000.

I don't agree with your statement about the pop kids that he said back in 1992, I think U2 WANT to appeal to the pop kids cos if they didn't then why in the hell would they go on crap pop kids shows like CDUK and TOTP and mime, which is absolutely what they didn't do in the 90's. They never appeared in the TOTP studio from 1983 to 2000 and only appeared live on totp when sending them a live broadcast of 'One' as they did in 1992 from the soundcheck in the USA.

SO to say U2 are not trying to appeal to the pop kids is crap cos that is totally what they are trying to do. To me U2 seems to be not that interested in their 90's fans anymore that is why they have gone down the commercial selling out route of the last two albums, out with adventure in with what THEY KNOW sells shitloads of albums.

Very well thought out post. I don't really care what they play, I only want to be wowed like Zoo TV. Elevation was a great tour but in a way almost too intimate. Great at the time, but when you look back at Zoo TV, I miss the rock gods, the untouchable, the euro cool...hell, they don't ask me. I just can't wait to see what they dream up.

I wonder if we'll be seeing more early songs in concert. Bono's certainly been paying a lot of lip service to the band's early years, and us New York concert-goers did hear Out Of Control...

Jick, once again you are giving half the story. Yeah, the first two legs of Zoo didnt contain the older material. BUT, the stadium shows they added SBS and NY Day back to the setlist on regular rotation. Two songs you list as not being played. Eventually they even added I Will Follow back at a few shows on the Zooropa tour as well.

Refering to your "other" thread, I'm not replying to you twice. According to your theory we can expect I Will Follow and Out Of Control (which has been done once so far) on the upcoming tour?? Really? Then I'm surprised Wont Get Fooled again wasnt a staple during the Elevation tour. I know, it was a cover, but it was done during the promo tour. That means it will be done again, right?

Its amazing to me that people are already making assumptions and sort of complaining about a tour that hasnt even gone to the rehearsal phase yet!! Although I'm not shocked who posted one of the first posts about it. Its like damn broken record. :down:

They will play more than 3 songs from that era. I guarantee it.

Last edited:
If nothing else, I don't believe Streets or One will be dropped, all the other songs from JT have been cut at one time or another (ISHFWILF on Elevation leg 1 and 2, WOWY on same tour third leg). Even the mighty Bullet missed one Elevation show. And "One" and UTEOTW haven't been cut on official tours since their introduction. I think if anything, we'll still be hearing Streets, One, and maybe UTEOTW

While I can see your point, Jick, I think they will have more than 2-3 songs from the so-called golden era. We can probably name over 2-3 songs from that era that would be part of the set list: One, Streets, WOWY, The Fly, UTEOTW.

Still, I would really like to hear most (if not all) of the new songs off of hut dab. I think they will play most of hut dab in the first leg. There's always a return to classics during the second leg. I seriously don't think we'll get much from ATYCLB - maybe a combination of BD, Elevation, Walk On, Kite.

ADecentMelody said:
While I can see your point, Jick, I think they will have more than 2-3 songs from the so-called golden era. We can probably name over 2-3 songs from that era that would be part of the set list: One, Streets, WOWY, The Fly, UTEOTW.

Third leg of elevation they were only playing One and UTEOTW regularly, Mysterious Ways got dropped most shows and the Fly didn't make it past the first leg. So that's 2.

Joshua Tree- regularly featured ISHFWILF, Streets, and Bullet on the thrid leg, occasionallly WOWY

So, that's 5-7 songs on any given night between those two albums. Add in 11 new songs, and Jick may be on to something. But all that really means is that they may just showcase each era of the band equally up to this one, I don't see them playing more than BD and Kite every night from ATYCLB

You also have to remember that the band made it a concious effort during the ZooTV tour to play 45 minutes worth of new material before they played the "old" hits because they were making it clear they were destroying their 80's image.

I don't think they have to do that with this tour.. But they have a lot of great material to play this time, plus classics from the last album.

U2 could play a lot of new music and play little of their old hits if they wanted.

I'll go out on a limb and say that 9 to 10 songs off the album will be played live.

They could also add Fast Cars to their acoustic set if they want.

So that is roughly 11 new songs maybe.

They could play about 5 songs off the last album.. That's about 16 songs without going back to their 80's catalog.. They could also play Hands, Electrical Storm too if they wanted... Maybe some covers too.

But they still will have to play about 5 or 6 classics.

Didn't Bono say in an interview ( I think it was the making of Vertigo video) that they may rotate the 11 songs because he thinks they are all worth playing live?

Personally I don't think that the comparison between AB and HTDAAB stands much scrutiny. AB and ZooTV was a time of bold, drastic re-invention for U2 and playing 7 or 8 new songs right off the bat and excluding older material was all tied with that 180-degree turn. Whereas HTDAAB is not anything like that and its songs would sit quite comfortably with their older material, pretty much like ATYCLB songs did. I'm sure that there will be more than 2 or 3 1987-1993 songs in there.

While it certainly is impressive how you've constructed your post, I really think your title is deceptive and intentionally negative in tone (just to draw attention, no doubt). I also don't entirely agree with your conclusions, but then, I rarely do.

I don't believe that they'd skip over that era as it contains arguably their best two albums.

On the last tour, they played 5 songs from JT, 5 songs from AB and 1 song from Zooropa. We'll see - Bono also said that ATYCLB was 11 reasons to go on the road but they did not play all of the songs.

I do think it's possible we might see more alternating between the classics - like they did on Elevation when I still haven't found... wasn't played until the last leg of the tour, and WOWY was played mostly on the first two legs or Bad and AIWIY would be switched before Streets.

If I told you back in 1992, that for opening night U2 were going to start with 8 consecutive Achtung Baby songs, and their setlist would have no Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Gloria, or I Will Follow and the concert would not end with "40" - then you'd tell me back then that I'm crazy, stupid and negative.

Now, fast forward to 2004 and I'm telling you that for the opening show (or the first few shows for that matter) U2 will play a ton of new album songs, and only 3 songs maximum from the 1987-1993 era (JT-Zooropa era) then you'd probably say I'm crazy, stupid and negative.

Nothing changes, really. Progressive thinkers always get ridiculed for their ideas, but that's how it always is. History always repeats itself.

Besides, I'm sure many would agree that U2 can still put up a mean setlist with only 3 1987-1993 songs, the rest being either older or newer songs.

Cheers,

J

I'm sure U2 could put up a great setlist with fewer 1987 - 1993 period songs, but they won't do it. Their biggest hits - and hits ARE needed to play for the masses - are from that period and there is a reason why they were always played, even on Zoo TV.

3 songs maximum? Let's see - Streets is a given, as is One. I'm sure they'll keep Bullet too.

I can't believe they would not play I still haven't found..., WOWY, AIWIY, Desire, Angel of Harlem, MW, UTEOTW.

Ahhh Jick mate....

The Golden era is 2004 and on.

What you are talking about is the silver era.

The Bomb will go down as the most under rated rock and roll album in history, only because rather than u2 being as innovative as they have been in the past, they have decided that this time they want to be more brilliant than ambitious.

...and i admire that, even if no body else is going to.

Aardvark747 said:
As much as I feel that WOWY wasnt the best vocal of Bono's career on Elevation. I cant see it being dropped.

Actually, WOWY was dropped after three concerts on the third leg of Elevation. I wonder if that's a sign that it's out of the setlist ... probably not, but due to the vocal problems, it might be best left in rotation.

Axver said:

Actually, WOWY was dropped after three concerts on the third leg of Elevation. I wonder if that's a sign that it's out of the setlist ... probably not, but due to the vocal problems, it might be best left in rotation.

Trust you to pick me up on that one Axver!:wink:

Jick,, You got me with this post.

I love HTDAAB, and think most of the tracks are gonna be explosive live. It will surpass the elevation tour setlists atleast.

But Hats off for U2, because every record is kind of like a new beginning. With this i mean that they dont just go out on stage and perform a show. The concerts are about the records. Zootv captured Achtung baby superb. Popmart delivered an extention of the pop album. And Elevation nailed the intimacy of ATYCLB.
So what to expect from HTDAAB tour ???,, Well i would guess something along the line of the Elevation tour.
There will be no MOFO, In GOD`S COUNTRY. LAST NIGHT ON EARTH, ZOOROPA, ZOO STATION, WILD HORSES,, And so on and so on ( These are songs i would love to hear in a 2005 setting )

But there will be an idea, created by U2 way back when they started the recordings of the new album. They will deliver a tour, that should work as an extention of that idea.
So i will agree with you partly in your theory, and at the end of the day then its completely fine with me. I wanna know what they have planned for this tour. I will always have my videos and dvd´s of the old shows..

U2 change, so its up to us if we wanna hold on. I for one want to.

Back
Top Bottom