Will the new album have that "experimental" aspect? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Will the new album have that "experimental" aspect?

Seems to me if you're coming off of a strong, well-received, and generally popular album (as U2 are with ATYCLB), that it is the ideal time to do something different...something with that "experimental" factor. You've got the fan base due to recent triumphs, and you can afford to take more of a risk at that time.

This is the reason I feel they chose to create what has been so frequently referred to as a "safe" album with ATYCLB. They had just come off of Pop, which was perhaps their most experimental album ever, and which was received with a very mixed reaction. So they chose something more mainstream to win back and/or gain new fans. A safer album, more basic tour, etc.

So what are your thoughts? Will this new album take on that "experimental" vibe that we've seen before, or will they choose to play it safe?

I know that know one knows for sure, but I am interested in your opinions...speculate for me, please...

Old 06-22-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I think it would've been more experimental had it been released closer to ATYCLB. As it is, it's U2 and they'll definitely do SOMETHING, but it probably won't be too 'out there'.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Refugee

I think it'll sound adventurous, but not neccessarily experimental.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:36 PM
I agree with Dorian and Axver. I'm sure it will have some experimental aspects to it. Everyone keeps talking about a cross between AB and ATYCLB. I think that will be a good thing if we got a mix from both those albums.

As for ATYCLB not being experimental, I have to disagree. Some songs like Wild Honey, In A Little While, and Stuck In A Moment were songs U2 have never attempted. Those were very soulful tunes in a time of bad pop rock and terrible heavy music. But for the most part ATYCLB was a conservative approach by U2 in which to belive they will do things a little different on this album.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
I agree with Dorian and Axver. I'm sure it will have some experimental aspects to it. Everyone keeps talking about a cross between AB and ATYCLB. I think that will be a good thing if we got a mix from both those albums.

As for ATYCLB not being experimental, I have to disagree. Some songs like Wild Honey, In A Little While, and Stuck In A Moment were songs U2 have never attempted. Those were very soulful tunes in a time of bad pop rock and terrible heavy music. But for the most part ATYCLB was a conservative approach by U2 in which to belive they will do things a little different on this album.
agreed... ATYCLB wasn't experimental in the grand scheme of things, but there were quite a few songs that were experimental to them. AB is considered experimental for some reason... so is Pop. But it's not like U2 were the first to venture into industrial (AB) or whatever the heck people want to consider the genre Pop falls into... but it was experimental to them. something they've never tried before.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:36 PM
To me Zooropa is the one that is experimental with songs like Lemon, Zooropa and Numb, The Wanderer. I really hope on this new album they 'leave behind' ATYCLB type songs because that album is the opposite of experimental.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
I
As for ATYCLB not being experimental, I have to disagree. Some songs like Wild Honey, In A Little While, and Stuck In A Moment were songs U2 have never attempted.
Also, on their albums, U2 never tried ambiental stuff like Grace or pop/rock mix, radio-friendly songs like Walk on or When I look at the world.

I remember Edge talking he wants to explore what a guitar can sound like in a rock band, so I guess he either has a new sound or effects on his guitar. I'm not sure they will experiment a la 90's, because if another album tanks like Pop, they're finished IMO.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:36 PM
The last album was experimental for the band because it wasn't experimental (sonically).
Old 06-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #9
War Child

imo UF & Zooropa are their 2 most experimental and their 2 greatest albums. Lots of effects this time around please, Edge...