Will the new album have that "experimental" aspect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Seems to me if you're coming off of a strong, well-received, and generally popular album (as U2 are with ATYCLB), that it is the ideal time to do something different...something with that "experimental" factor. You've got the fan base due to recent triumphs, and you can afford to take more of a risk at that time.

This is the reason I feel they chose to create what has been so frequently referred to as a "safe" album with ATYCLB. They had just come off of Pop, which was perhaps their most experimental album ever, and which was received with a very mixed reaction. So they chose something more mainstream to win back and/or gain new fans. A safer album, more basic tour, etc.

So what are your thoughts? Will this new album take on that "experimental" vibe that we've seen before, or will they choose to play it safe?

I know that know one knows for sure, but I am interested in your opinions...speculate for me, please...

Last edited:
I think it would've been more experimental had it been released closer to ATYCLB. As it is, it's U2 and they'll definitely do SOMETHING, but it probably won't be too 'out there'.

I agree with Dorian and Axver. I'm sure it will have some experimental aspects to it. Everyone keeps talking about a cross between AB and ATYCLB. I think that will be a good thing if we got a mix from both those albums.

As for ATYCLB not being experimental, I have to disagree. Some songs like Wild Honey, In A Little While, and Stuck In A Moment were songs U2 have never attempted. Those were very soulful tunes in a time of bad pop rock and terrible heavy music. But for the most part ATYCLB was a conservative approach by U2 in which to belive they will do things a little different on this album.

zoopop said:
I agree with Dorian and Axver. I'm sure it will have some experimental aspects to it. Everyone keeps talking about a cross between AB and ATYCLB. I think that will be a good thing if we got a mix from both those albums.

As for ATYCLB not being experimental, I have to disagree. Some songs like Wild Honey, In A Little While, and Stuck In A Moment were songs U2 have never attempted. Those were very soulful tunes in a time of bad pop rock and terrible heavy music. But for the most part ATYCLB was a conservative approach by U2 in which to belive they will do things a little different on this album.

agreed... ATYCLB wasn't experimental in the grand scheme of things, but there were quite a few songs that were experimental to them. AB is considered experimental for some reason... so is Pop. But it's not like U2 were the first to venture into industrial (AB) or whatever the heck people want to consider the genre Pop falls into... but it was experimental to them. something they've never tried before.

To me Zooropa is the one that is experimental with songs like Lemon, Zooropa and Numb, The Wanderer. I really hope on this new album they 'leave behind' ATYCLB type songs because that album is the opposite of experimental.

Last edited:
zoopop said:
I
As for ATYCLB not being experimental, I have to disagree. Some songs like Wild Honey, In A Little While, and Stuck In A Moment were songs U2 have never attempted.

:yes: Also, on their albums, U2 never tried ambiental stuff like Grace or pop/rock mix, radio-friendly songs like Walk on or When I look at the world.

I remember Edge talking he wants to explore what a guitar can sound like in a rock band, so I guess he either has a new sound or effects on his guitar. I'm not sure they will experiment a la 90's, because if another album tanks like Pop, they're finished IMO.

Last edited:
The last album was experimental for the band because it wasn't experimental (sonically).

imo UF & Zooropa are their 2 most experimental and their 2 greatest albums. Lots of effects this time around please, Edge...

Back
Top Bottom