Will the Milan DVD be better than the Slane Castle DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
btw why do they open stadium shows with Vertigo and end with Vertigo? and have COBL in the middle? it doesnt make sense to me and it doesnt sound right :S

prideofzootv said:
btw why do they open stadium shows with Vertigo and end with Vertigo? and have COBL in the middle? it doesnt make sense to me and it doesnt sound right :S

End with Vertigo was such a brilliant idea! I was on the Gothenburg gig and it was awesome.

God Part III said:
I was there, trust me, it was a better crowd than Dublin, so if that is any indication, the crowd will probably be better than the one of Slane. The set is also better, the stage is cooler (great visuals) and it has the best I Will Follow I've ever heard. It'll be perfect.

Ditto. Went to both Milan gigs, it'll blow Slane out of the water.

Peterrrrr said:

Compare COBL(a song wich has both low keys and high keys) chicago dvd version and other 1st and 2nd leg version and you hear how more stabil, less hoarse less shaky he is.
i just preferd his voice during the 3rd and 4th leg, sorry

I think it will be better then the Chicago DVD.

If it can top Slane, that will be hard. All those emotions at Slane etc really made it my favorite dvd.

I hope the director is going to pan out into the crowd etc this time instead of those constant close-ups of U2 themselfs.

It's nice but you can overdo it.

Achtung Ya'll said:
am I the only one that thinks Hamish has done a fantastic job with their DVD's? I love 'em. And he certainly made the Chicago crowd seem more enthusiastic than they actually were.

Dude ever seen David Mallet's work with Zootv sydney and Popmart mexico ? miss the guy , miss these old times.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Do we really know if this dvd is going to be released? :confused:

Yeah we know , it always stated since the middle of the tour that there would be a stadium dvd , and now thanks to Hamilton's words , its definitely happenin this year.

RademR said:
tough call....Slane had so much emotion behind it beacause of them being home and Bono's father passing away.

I'm with you :up:

just saw the vertigo that ended it video

for the first time, and ive tried to avoid using it, but: :drool:

schnumi said:
I think it will be better then the Chicago DVD.

If it can top Slane, that will be hard. All those emotions at Slane etc really made it my favorite dvd.

Agreed. The setlist wasn't the best I've seen, but the performance was top notch! There was more energy, it was more free flowing.

Judging from the Vertigo clip I saw awhile back, it looks like it will be terrible. The audio will be great, of course, but the camera angles and nonsense is just absurd. What's with the "cutbacks" and crowd transparency over the band while the camera "spins" around because it's VERTIGO!!!!...? :eyebrow:

Achtung Ya'll said:
am I the only one that thinks Hamish has done a fantastic job with their DVD's? I love 'em. And he certainly made the Chicago crowd seem more enthusiastic than they actually were.

His direction is shit. If anything, he made the Chicago crowd look much much less enthusiastic than they actually were. The focus of the shoot was on the band, not the audience(as is mentioned on the bonus disk). I was at both Chicago shows that were filmed. I don't think any U.S. audience would be as wild as a South American Show or Milan for example, but the Chicago crowd was nowhere near as bad as is portrayed in the dvd. Believe me, I've been to concerts with lame audiences (*cough* coldplay)...and the Chicago audience was not that bad.

I've just downloaded the Buenos Aires show. If Milan is filmed anything like this show, I can't wait!

prideofzootv said:

As far as COBL, I believe the band wanted to play the song after the sun had set to get the full effect. Most shows started in twilight, hence it was moved back. I think that's right, anybody remember for sure?

topplehatU2 said:
Judging from the Vertigo clip I saw awhile back, it looks like it will be terrible. The audio will be great, of course, but the camera angles and nonsense is just absurd. What's with the "cutbacks" and crowd transparency over the band while the camera "spins" around because it's VERTIGO!!!!...? :eyebrow:

I think he wanted the viewer to get aa view how much more power it is in Vertigo2 than 1. How crazy the crowd get. I think that Vertigo2 is the only song on the show that is filmed like that.

Though I have heard all of these rumours about the Milan show, I did not know that there was actually an official DVD release being planned? OMG, when will it be released? It would be so so great! I have always felt they should release a European show on DVD, and Italian audiences are CRAZY, great atmosphere. I hope the editing and direction will be good and there will be some stuff from the audience as well. Plus all the songs they played on the European leg of the Vertigo tour. Wow, this will be so great!

I don't care what you say, Hamish Hamilton is the best thing that ever happened to U2 since Brian Eno.

Peterrrrr said:

I think he wanted the viewer to get aa view how much more power it is in Vertigo2 than 1. How crazy the crowd get. I think that Vertigo2 is the only song on the show that is filmed like that.

I really really hope so. I can't imagine that kind of camera action on OOTS.

Peterrrrr said:

Yeah for sure , besides they did as well coz it was part of the plan to release the video of Vertigo 2x in the Cd com.

topplehatU2 said:

I really really hope so. I can't imagine that kind of camera action on OOTS.

Fair enough if you don't like Hamish Hamilton, but how big an idiot do you take him for?

That's exactly what I like about Hamish - he cuts and directs according to the feel of the song - haven't you noticed how big the difference is between, say, Electric Co., Beautiful Day and Streets on the Chicago DVD?

God Part III said:
That's exactly what I like about Hamish - he cuts and directs according to the feel of the song - haven't you noticed how big the difference is between, say, Electric Co., Beautiful Day and Streets on the Chicago DVD?

You know, I do like that about what Hamish does, on everything except the Chicago DVD. I can't put my finger on exactly what went wrong there, but it's definitely the worst out of the three he's done.

I'm tempted to think it's just that indoor Vertigo doesn't lend it self to being filmed as well as Elevation did.

tommycharles said:

You know, I do like that about what Hamish does, on everything except the Chicago DVD. I can't put my finger on exactly what went wrong there, but it's definitely the worst out of the three he's done.

I'm tempted to think it's just that indoor Vertigo doesn't lend it self to being filmed as well as Elevation did.

I think it misses the crowd shots..

I think Milan will have better visuals :)

ImOuttaControl said:

I've just downloaded the Buenos Aires show. If Milan is filmed anything like this show, I can't wait!

Hmm. Well we just have different opinions. I wasn't at the Chicago show so I'll restrain from further comment, but the Buenos Aires show (while a kickass show) just felt like it had hollow "spend 10 seconds on camera a...spend 10 seconds on camera b...rinse..repeat."

edit: and after seeing that COBL video, I can totally get excited about Hamilton again. He just seems to have a better feel for camera movement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom