Will Singles be released in U.S this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAL

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I remember with ATYCLB, singles were not commercially released in the states. One theory is that the demand would be more focused on radio play/exposure.

I know a few (maybe a lot) of fans here and elsewhere were not happy with this tatic. We all got the imports anyway, but it would have been nice not having to wait weeks after the rest of the world got the single.

Has it been said anywhere if singles will be released in the U.S. this time around?

I don't think they'll release a US CD single. There is no demand for singles anymore because they are played on Clear Channel stations every hour on the hour. I'm not so sure if anyone releases singles anymore in the US.

They were all easily available in US record stores, just a bit pricey though....I'm sure that's what will happen again.

Oh, who knows what the f'd up marketing strategy for U2 singles in the U.S. of A. will be this time. 2000's logic was that singles drive down the album sales (right...) but with a band like U2 this doesn't really come into play because the fan base is so huge that they are guaranteed at least 3 million in (world wide) sales.

If the first single does as well or better than "Beautiful Day" well then the sky could be the limit.

Other than that, I have no idea if they'll release a U.S. single.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Oh, who knows what the f'd up marketing strategy for U2 singles in the U.S. of A. will be this time. 2000's logic was that singles drive down the album sales (right...) but with a band like U2 this doesn't really come into play because the fan base is so huge that they are guaranteed at least 3 million in (world wide) sales.

I would suggest the `guaranteed' worldwide figure would be between 5-6 million.

Mike

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i hope so, but don't think so

Agreed.

I bought way too many import singles from ATYCLB. 10 total...at $10 a pop. I couldn't resist. :reject:

BEAL!

First, you are too poor to buy singles. ;):lol: :wink:

Second, and the more realistic answer, is that CD singles, barring a few exceptions, just don't sell well in the U.S. It's cost prohibitive. Sadly, the last CD singles we will see came from "Pop".

The good news is that you should be able to buy CD singles from Canadian, Australian or U.K. stores fairly easily. In fact, Amazon.com is already taking pre-orders for the CD single (which will probably be an import).

Also, I did notice that a lot of record stores, even places like Best Buy, carried some of the imported CD singles. So don't give up hope.

Mr Doc,

Aren't you too old to be posting on a internet website. This new technology must be terrifying!

Just take deep breaths out of your oxygen tank, and every thing will be ok.

DR. WHO!!!

Where you been man?

Sting2 and I were just talking about you and Johnny Swallow and wondering where you guys went...

The thing I don't like about imports is that you can't get them here until about 2-3 months after they come out. With this album I'm planning on buying them all on Amazon.com. I already pre-ordered Vertigo!

doctorwho said:
Yep, I returned. I won't discuss why I left or why I'm back - I just am. :yes:

I like the mysterious. :wink:

Welcome back, it's great to see you again!

singles, will be a thing of the past in about 5-10 years, kind of like the records of yester year. With Itunes and all of this internet downloading why would people buy a single for $7 or $8 bucks when they can probably get a better deal for the single and all of its extras online. If they want to keep the single alive they'll include video clips and interviews ala this new DVD/CD thingy that is out now. It holds much more info than a CD, has the capability of a DVD and sounds 20 times better than CD music. Thing is, you have to have ther equipment, so it may take some time.

if ya got friends overseas get them to send it to ya if ur currency is stronger...unless of course, it all adds up the same after postage and handling......but then again u will get the singles without waiting months and months.

Back
Top Bottom