Will HTDAAB be "the third masterpiece"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
First off, yes we haven't heard it all.
But this is a U2 board, we're supposed to speculate.
And we have heard a lot. Like, almost half.

I'm going to make a case for it to be the lesser of the the three masterpieces, but still on the top of the mountain with the big 2. (AB and JT)

1. Vertigo rocks
2. Intro to LAPOE super rocks
3. Live COBLights super mega rocks
4. AYGWF is a solid B-side, but was cast aside for things that were way better
5. Beach clips, while hard to make out, rock
6. Reviews (other than the german crack heads) rock
7. Live ABOY super rocks
8. Band seems VERY confident. They haven't been this confident since Zoo TV.
9. OOFS seems promising...

Now, why the lesser of the three? Well, I give points for reinvention, and they just aren't going there from what I can see. Still, if they do indeed get their best album since AB they will have done something no other band in their 40's has done–released a commerically relevant monster.

P.S. Not all Germans are crack heads. I love german beer, cars, people, etc. My family is from there, and I wouldn't be here typing this if not for Germany...

Last edited:
Well, you know, ROLLING STONE is ALWAYS right, and ATYCLB was the thrid masterpiece according to them. So this could be the fourth :sexywink:

UnforgettableLemon said:
Well, you know, ROLLING STONE is ALWAYS right, and ATYCLB was the thrid masterpiece according to them. So this could be the fourth :sexywink:

Yeah, that's percisely why their review will probably be suspect. I love atyclb, but I dare someone to tell me POE and Grace were incredible tunes...

ATYCLB is a good record. I was listening to it today and the whole album takes a left turn going into Wild Honey. It never really recovers after IALW.

I think this album will be one of U2's finest.

3rd masterpiece? perhaps. I'm having a hard time speculating - i haven't heard much of the live stuff so far - I am a pacient man:drool:

I certainly hope that it is though.

PS - UnforgettableLemon, "Never Tear Us Apart" was my wedding song. You have great taste !:wink:

UnforgettableLemon said:

:yes:

Yep... they originally gave Nevermind 3/5, they were the only magazine to call it as it was:wink:

And... I could have sworn that the originally published AB review was 4/5, then for a while it was 5/5, now it has no rating???... when did they change it?

Seriously... ATYCLB belongs in that 2nd tier of U2 albums... AB & JT belong in the clouds.

I will never understand why ATYCLB gets such a bad rap here. It was a great album with a lot of great songs. IALW and Grace are not my favorite songs, but I really love the rest of the album. I liked this album a lot more than the Pop album. I thought Pop was unfinished and lacking inspiration. A HUGE letdown after the Achtung, Baby era. ATYCLB was a very good album and deserves accolades.

In A Little While is a wonderful song. I don't know why everyone shits all over ATYCLB.....:tsk:

But yes, I do have a feeling that HTDAAB will be a huge commercial success and at the same time please its hardcore fans (aka us)

UnforgettableLemon said:
I'm not saying I don't like ATYCLB... I do love it, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece

Well, outside of the first four songs on Joshua Tree, I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece either. Sure, the fans loved it, and it did incredibly well commercially, but it was not a masterpiece. Achtung, Baby was THE U2 masterpiece. It completely outshines everything else they have done. It's the holy grail. There is AB, and then the rest of what they recorded.

as you wish16 said:
I will never understand why ATYCLB gets such a bad rap here. It was a great album with a lot of great songs. IALW and Grace are not my favorite songs, but I really love the rest of the album. I liked this album a lot more than the Pop album. I thought Pop was unfinished and lacking inspiration. A HUGE letdown after the Achtung, Baby era. ATYCLB was a very good album and deserves accolades.

Word!! Yes, ATYCLB is a refreshing break from the crazy sounds and beats of Pop. Pop is not a bad album, per se, it's just not a SUPER U2 album. It's a very good one, and I still enjoy it from time to time. There are some fantastic songs on Pop, and there are just some dull ones. One thing that makes Pop good is that it is sonically interesting.

ATYCLB is too contemporary for the younger fans in this forum. Fair play to them, they have their opinions and while I will respect them, I will point out what I feel are the flaws in their thinking. There is nothing wrong with side 2 or the second half of ATYCLB, other than fact that its a bit softer.

Now after hearing AYGWF I have to admit my excitement for the new album has increased. If they can put this song on the backburner and release it as a B-side, well then that bodes well for the new album....IMO.

Who cares about the last album..jeez people the new one coming out and we should concentrate on IT.:wink:

As for the thread starter great assessment on all the reviews and clips we've heard. if any one says its not an EDGE album is crazy. As for the fourth masterpiece, I'll have to wait until it comes out. Masterpiece to me means every song is flawless, contributing to the album as a whole.

JT and AB definitely were that. ATYCLB...yeah. I may not each song but did every song stand on its own....? I believe so. So with that, yeah it was their 3rd masterpiece.

Again this album sounds promising. I kinda don't want to hype it up too much so when I hear it I can get chills once again.

as you wish16 said:

Well, outside of the first four songs on Joshua Tree, I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece either. Sure, the fans loved it, and it did incredibly well commercially, but it was not a masterpiece. Achtung, Baby was THE U2 masterpiece. It completely outshines everything else they have done. It's the holy grail. There is AB, and then the rest of what they recorded.

:| I first got into U2 when AB came out so I am partial to AB and the ZooTV era in general... a few years back I felt the same way as you about JT... yeh it was great, but it was no AB... but somehow over the years the 2nd half of JT has grown on me to the point where I now see JT on par musically with AB, I give the edge to AB only because of the balls it took U2 to reinvent themselves like that.

Some advice... don't start an AB vs. JT thread!

I would join in on this debate, but I think we've had the eighties versus nineties versus ATYCLB debate enough times already.

(Though for the record, I find the nineties to be inferior to anything produced in the eighties.)

Will Hut Dab be the third masterpiece? It's going to have to be pretty amazing to touch U2's two masterpieces, UF and JT, but ... I see no reason why not, though I do not expect it to do so.

Leave it to this board to say nothing about the actual thread title (cept for Art Director) I'm just saying from what we've heard, do you think this one hit it out of the park?

ATYCLB i don't think was a masterpiece.. it wasn'ta consistent album... I think overall as an album Pop is much closer to a master piece

ATYCLB is not even in the top 5, but it does have some great songs...like Kite.

but i don't see any song on ATYCLB matching "Please" or "Gone" from POP. those songs, to me, are classics.

tkramer said:
Leave it to this board to say nothing about the actual thread title (cept for Art Director) I'm just saying from what we've heard, do you think this one hit it out of the park?

The question asked was... will HTDAAB be U2's 4th masterpiece?
Not, will HTDAAB be a masterpiece... hence the debate over ATYCLB being a masterpiece is relevent no?? :wink:

U2FAN4LIFE said:

The question asked was... will HTDAAB be U2's 4th masterpiece?
Not, will HTDAAB be a masterpiece... hence the debate over ATYCLB being a masterpiece is relevent no?? :wink:

:reject: apparently I have ADD, sorry!

Yes, HTDAAB will be the 3rd masterpiece! :wink:

4 years in the making... it better be!

Well, I see these as masterpieces:

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Pop

and well, LAPOE sounds extremely great!
Vertigo is underrated by many people, I think, it's better than anything on their last album, and that's good to me.
And we all know it - All Because of You is fantastic.
I haven't heard Miracle Drug yet, but no "2nd track" on a U2 album have ever been bad. SYCMIOYO (too long to spell) must be good, no matter what!
And well, Original of The Species is very nice, and Q thought it was the essential song. I wasn't around when Pop was released, but my impression is that its reviews weren't THAT good.
And well, it's my third favourite U2 album.
I'm very, very positive on this.
Even if I thought Are You Gonna Wait Forever was bad. Sorry. :(

Pop, a masterpiece? :ohmy: I don't see it. It's not a bad album, and had it actually been finished, maybe it would have been much better. Songs like LNOE, IGWSHA, PM, Miami, needed more work and completely fell flat of where you could see they were trying to go. The last three songs of the album should have been EPIC, and yet, seemed so raw and unfinished that it's a total tragedy. To me, this album will always remain the unfinished album that could have been grande, but instead fell flat on its face.

Back
Top Bottom