will Bono sound like shit on this new album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
if bono sounds anything like the (new) version of stay i will:sad:
we all know he cant sing very good any more. no high or loud notes. will vocal training help get his good voice(JT,AB,WAR) back.
or will their new album be full of edge madness.

cant wait for their first single.(what will it sound like)
vocals on eletrical storm are not ground breaking.(thats why it was a flop) or it might be the song.

i think the bono i loved is no more now we have a political mad man. before we had a rock mad man(which is the reason i got in to u2)
but its been a good ride. time for some new music. and plese dont say coldplay is the next big thing because they are not.

unless you like mellow rock then they are good.

The 80's ended with the beautiful melody of "All I Want Is You"...then U2 goes away to confusion and uncertainty, and awakens us to "The Fly" in 1991. Anyone want to try and second guess Bono, go ahead, you just may be the one picking up your mouth off the floor...I've given up along time ago, trying to understand where U2 were going or were they were coming from...I've just learned to enjoy the ride.

i think the new album is going to be similar to ATYCLB, but edgier...no pun intended. just with a more raw rock sound. I also can't wait for the first single. if everything falls the way it should, it should be out in july, the single that is.

i pray its not similar to ATYCLB(i have not played that cd in like 8 months) and i dont miss it. but i cant go on for a week with out JT or AB!

But Bono sounds amazing on the new live version of Stay. I just can't agree with you, my friend. I do not see why Bono should sound like shit on the new album. I think he sounds great these days. I was watching the Slane-dvd, and when Bono sang All I Want is You, he proved you dead wrong.

technically speaking Bono's voice took the biggest beating between Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby

who cares?

Personally I thought his voice was at its worst on POP album and tour.

Sure it may have lost the high register (that said, I thought he pulled of the "wide awake" in Bad, and "all I want is YOU" ending really well live - and the album version of Kite honestly reminded me of his AB days) and the raw power of its prime, but he's not a young singer anymore, either.
I liked ES voice too, "let's se colours that have never been seen, let's go to places no one else has been" part and the "HEYYY" bit were good by me.

I totally agree with U2girl. Plus, the mp3 I have of a live performance of Hands makes me confident that he's still got it in him. He'll sound just fine; the man's now very well aware of how to treat his voice.

I thought Bono was million dollars on Electrical Storm. His voice was excellent during Oscar performace. I dont see any problem with Bono's voice anymore.

No he won't sound like shit. The vocal on the versin of Stay i think you're referring to should never have been allowed to be released as far as i'm concerned but i think there are more 'no' men around the U2 camp as a whole rather than Bono's collaborative efforts.

I wish everyone would just shut up and wait to hear the album. I wonder if Bono's voice will sound like shit........give me a break. For everyone that says it's been a good ride and it's time to find new music....please go find new music and do not hop back on our bandwagon when they release another brilliant album. Even if this album has 3 or 4 great songs on it and that is it I challenge anyone to name another band that continuously has more than 1 or 2 good songs on their album....for that matter what band out there stays around for more than 2 or 3 albums anymore. I hope the band waits until 2006 to release this album so a few more fair weather fans will go away.

Some people hear a rasp and think it equals bad voice. I don't agree. By that definition "In A Little While" is a terrible song. Which it isn't, it's probably his best vocal on ATYCLB. His most recent vocals are some of his best: ES, TGBHF, Kite, Walk On, Stuck, Slane as a whole. He's a rock star in his 40's. He should have a rasp.

the question should be 'will he sound shit on tour'. he can take and retake vocals but live you only get one shot. they aint gonna release an album with crappy vocals

Well said, MrBrau1...

Bono does not sing false or anything. If it is "the rasp" people are talking about, then i must say it's all about taste. I just can't see anyone better that Bono today (i'm talking about the pop/rock - industry here). Actually Bono should not be able to sing the way he does at Slane (and other Elevation - concerts) ;). I'm surprised his voice isn't much deeper and raspier than it is.

I just don't know what the hell people are talking about here... This just have to be about taste...

I also heard about a singer who tried to sing Beautiful Day and other tunes on ATYCLB. He said the songs were very hard to sing - he had to give it all to pull them through.

To the other question above: Will he sound bad on the next tour? I have no reason to expect it....

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Some people hear a rasp and think it equals bad voice. I don't agree. By that definition "In A Little While" is a terrible song. Which it isn't, it's probably his best vocal on ATYCLB. His most recent vocals are some of his best: ES, TGBHF, Kite, Walk On, Stuck, Slane as a whole. He's a rock star in his 40's. He should have a rasp.

:up:

100% right...

There are hundreds of singers who's voices are better than Bono's now...but that doesn't mean there is a better singer in the world other than Bono. Sure he can't howl like he did on War and UF, and can't always hit that high register like he did on the AB and Zooropa, but no one, NO ONE sings with more emotion and passion than the B-Man. His voice, while rough around the edges these days is the most soothing thing about U2. It's their signature more than the sound they make.

Hey Shaun, he won't sound any worse than Axl on the forever delayed "Chinese Democracy" album.

spanisheyes said:
Anyone want to try and second guess Bono, go ahead, you just may be the one picking up your mouth off the floor...I've given up along time ago, trying to understand where U2 were going or were they were coming from...I've just learned to enjoy the ride.

:yes:

:up:

I agree with MrBrau and others who say many people are probably put off by the raspy voice.

I liked his voice on the new Stay version - sure, it's raspy and it's not the same in the high parts anymore but it was done shortly after (or was it in between?) the tour.
Notice how it was better with ES and Hands, when his voice was fully rested. He just gives his best from his abilities - even a trained opera singer won't sound the same 20+ years into their career.

Live singing is a different matter - like all singers (considering he's not a opera singer without any official singing/breathing lessons it's pretty amazing how much insane stuff for a rock singer he had in his career. some people say he had a singing coach but IMO his voice wouldn't change as much if he had one) he has good and less good days - Slane, for example, was a great night. Sarajevo, obviously not a good night. (then again, he had troubles with his voice back in the JT/Lovetown years, too)

:shrug: I dunno...I hope his voice sticks out this decade for 2 more tours, after that, I really don't know. I think at the very least he'll limit (=shorten) stress of the tours (what they already said after Elevation tour), if not be forced to quit touring alltogether.

Well on the new record, he'll just keep recording until he gets it perfect. He'll sound great on the album, don't even worry about it.

Now on the tour. Maybe he will have his bad nights. The Boston DVD was in my opinion, not a BAD night, but kind of subpar. But he admits that he was sick a few nights ago. The problem with releasing concerts is that people have the opportunity to analyze them, good and bad. I was at 3 concerts on Elevation and 1 on Popmart, and to be honest, I thought his performance was flawless. I was so caught up in the moment, I didn't notice/care to notice the flaws in his voice. But I got a few bootlegs of the concerts I went to, and I noticed flaws on the bootleg that I didn't notice at the concert.

So just remember, as long Bono is there at the concerts putting everything he has into the shows, then he's still a good singer. If Bono is right in your face singing "Bad", you aren't going to care if he can't hit the "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" one bit. For that particular moment, you'll be in heaven and Bono will be God.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
There are hundreds of singers who's voices are better than Bono's now...but that doesn't mean there is a better singer in the world other than Bono. Sure he can't howl like he did on War and UF, and can't always hit that high register like he did on the AB and Zooropa, but no one, NO ONE sings with more emotion and passion than the B-Man. His voice, while rough around the edges these days is the most soothing thing about U2. It's their signature more than the sound they make.

:applaud: :up:. Same with what others have said.

Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
Hey Shaun, he won't sound any worse than Axl on the forever delayed "Chinese Democracy" album.

LOL.

Angela

The_acrobat said:
If Bono is right in your face singing "Bad", you aren't going to care if he can't hit the "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" one bit. For that particular moment, you'll be in heaven and Bono will be God.
I agree

from what I've observed... Bono knows how to adapt with his changing voice and improvise on lyrics 'on the fly'... and that's admirable.

The_acrobat said:
So just remember, as long Bono is there at the concerts putting everything he has into the shows, then he's still a good singer. If Bono is right in your face singing "Bad", you aren't going to care if he can't hit the "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" one bit. For that particular moment, you'll be in heaven and Bono will be God.
:up: So true.

I like the rasp voice in "In a Little While," "Grace," etc...

With that said... in the one of those songs (Electrical Storm or Hands) his singing/ voice was not good. I'm probably imagining things or the lyrics turned me off so much that I'm displacing my dislike on the voice...

Bono won't sound "like shit"...he'll sound Irish.

And did you see him at the Oscars? It looked like his head was going to explode. He's no Pavorotti...but no, he won't sound bad. As any of you should know, he sounds better in (Name of U2 song here) than most any singer in typical bands played on the radio right now.

Last edited:
Personally I thought the Oscar performance was not good at all... but as far as sounding like shit.... I don't think so! Even in the Sarajevo show he gave a performance to become one of fans all time favourites!!!

So just wait till the new album and I'm sure we'll find great vocal songs like Kite and Stuck there.

Back
Top Bottom