Wild Honey Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
One of the most hated songs in all of U2 fandom. Along with Elevation, also represents the end of U2's "Aren't we so ironic? No, really aren't we? I mean come on, a giant lemon and a bajillion foot wide video screen, irony, hell's yeah!" phase which IMO, lasted a bit too long for their own good.

ATYCLB is the sound of a band coming out of one mind-fuck of a decade of rock and roll, and Wild Honey is just a sweet little pop tune. :up:

I Listened to ATYCLB last night, it put me to sleep, which is a good thing, and I feel asleep just after it finished

The Album has grown on me over the last couple of weeks, and it could easily be in my top three.

And Wild Honey is a great song, Love it Live also.

chickadee said:
Wild Honey is great but I'm not liking all the anti-90s feeling, that's got all my fave u2 stuff!

Oh please don't get me wrong, I love their 90's work. Achtung Baby is tied for my number one spot with both The Joshua Tree and ATYCLB, all three of which constantly swap the top three positions. Zooropa is a masterpiece, and deserves all the praise it gets here on Interference. I even like POP, although it do feel it's dramatically overrated among certain people here, and I feel the POPMART tour was just a little too over-the-top, even considering that's the type of reaction they were looking for.

No, I love their 90's output as much as anyone else, but I feel maybe they tried to stretch out that "irony" gimmick a bit too far.

I feel ATYCLB is just as impressive a transition from POP as Achtung Baby was from Rattle and Hum, from which I believe both albums are miles ahead of their predecessors.

So, Wild Honey :rockon:

I liked it for ages because I thought one of the lyrics was 'Edge just blowing in the breeze'. When I found out I was wrong, I l liked it even more. It's just a cute, carefree song. People seem to take it too seriously :shrug:

The perfect song for a pop album. Love the Bono-Edge joint singing, the sweet lyrics and the 60's melody.

It's served better on a stronger album. POE and IALW as bookends really leaves it as one of the weakest 3 song spots in all of U2's discography.

Much better than In a Little While, IMO.

It's not meant to be a single, to be taken deeply seriously, but we think the same thing about other tracks that don't get near the villifying, because those other tracks aren't in such a weak stretch.

Lots of us think Kite and WILATW are good tracks, if not great but a hell of a lot uf us think those 3 in the middle almost kill the momentum. Wild Honey is better served on a better album. A longer album, an album where each track is worth 'less', if that makes sense.

Have any of you guys heard the live version from Elevation when Edge sings the middle 'opera' note instead of Bono? I have it on mp3 and can maybe upload it later if anyone is interested. It's really nice harmonising too!

:up: I really like this song, even though it's not one of my favorites of ATYCLB

Lancemc said:

I feel ATYCLB is just as impressive a transition from POP as Achtung Baby was from Rattle and Hum...

So, Wild Honey :rockon:

I agree with that part!

And I love Wild Honey! don't know very much about the harmonizing...I think I've been thinking it was Bono harmonizing with himself not Edge lol! cool...

I think it's got both that great breezy happyhippytrippy 60s pop tune vibe *and* some actually very good interesting lyrics...I'm presuming people who don't like it complain its lame in the lyrics-regard, but I think its another one of those stealth tunes, where to some it seems pop-lite and I see it as evocative, carefully crafted, and rather deep actually!

cheers...

I really like it, always have, always will. Some people take it too seriously, its meant to be a fun, poppy tune and that's what I take it as. I love it. Certainly not the worst on ATYCLB.

Lancemc said:
One of the most hated songs in all of U2 fandom. Along with Elevation, also represents the end of U2's "Aren't we so ironic? No, really aren't we? I mean come on, a giant lemon and a bajillion foot wide video screen, irony, hell's yeah!" phase which IMO, lasted a bit too long for their own good.

ATYCLB is the sound of a band coming out of one mind-fuck of a decade of rock and roll, and Wild Honey is just a sweet little pop tune. :up:
Really agree with you there. And if you listen to the lyrics, Honey still has that bittersweet quality that shows up in just about every U2 love song ('I'm still standing where you left me/Are you still growing wild').

I have to admit, ATYCLB is growing on me more and more as each year passes since its release. Beautifully crafted pop song.

I agree, it's a wonderful song, unfortunately it has been overlooked and misunderstood from day one. :|

Wild Honey is :drool:
love it, love it, a wonderful song, brilliant
a U2 reinvention, thats for sure:bow:
and i just wanna say it: ATYCLB is pop rock masterpiece:drool:

Back
Top Bottom