Wide Awake in Europe Discussion only NO REQUESTS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Tuneyville Choo Choo to play it on. I should be good, right?

tville.jpg

so_much_win.png

the fact that it's taking U2 so long to confirm the release of this EP (which is due in a month) leads me to believe there's a larger release strategy in the works.

or at least hope as much..

That's the most likely one. They didn't know NLOTH was leaked until after the weekend either, site was fixed slowly. Though that's not strictly U2.com, it's still something they never noticed.. And it took them ages to get back when they got hacked by BaGoL.

yeah but sites like Amazon don't put up releases when they feel like it.. details were released to retailers.. I don't think U2.com is unaware

They can put things up as soon as the record company gives the green light. So the band must know.

That doesn't necessarily mean U2.com are aware though...

So U2 (Paul Mcguinness) always speaks against pirating and illegal downloads..so their solution is to release an EP (with a song that the fan base has been anticipating for years) onto vinyl only, where the majority of their fans will have to illegally download it because they don't own a record player anymore! What am I missing?

So U2 (Paul Mcguinness) always speaks against pirating and illegal downloads..so their solution is to release an EP (with a song that the fan base has been anticipating for years) onto vinyl only, where the majority of their fans will have to illegally download it because they don't own a record player anymore! What am I missing?
I guess their logic is that CD sales are down, vinyls going up, let's release this crappy 3-song live record and see how it goes?

:shifty:

What's so hard about keeping us informed? Is it normal for a band to keep its fans in the dark most of the time? U2 talk about wanting to use technology, but they are the worst when it comes to utilizing the internet.

Muse is the only other band I'm really into enough to really follow their rumors and news and their website and facebook page is great for keeping the fans informed with up to date news. I'm on a couple mailing lists for other acts and they usually let you know what's going on as well. Wish I could say the same for U2.com

i've said this for the past few years. for a band who likes to claim (and at one point they were correct) about being tech savy, no other band keeps their fans in the dark like U2 does.

I think more of it now is they're busy with families, so there's just nothing to really say. Then you get interviews, and Bono goes into full hype mode just to keep excitement up.

I personally don't think they have anything ready to go (which doesn't mean this Wide Awake thing is not true).

Once we get closer to the tour kickoff, I'm sure we'll get more quotes and a better idea.

I will download it definately. And I'm not gonna pay for it.
Thirty years I bought their records and even the superduperdeluxe 100 dollar boxes I bought. They've become millionairs a long time ago, and I'm responsible for that (with me a lot of fans). And I will buy new cd's, because this band is special. So, Paul McGuinness should not talk about these questions (he'd better invest in communication with fans; look at Radiohead). It's more a political game. It's the young bands who suffer most from illegal downloading.

It's more a political game. It's the young bands who suffer most from illegal downloading.

And independent record stores.

But yeah, I've purchased bread and food from supermarkets for years, the chains are multimillion corporations, so I am just going to start shoplifting food now.

Muse is the only other band I'm really into enough to really follow their rumors and news and their website and facebook page is great for keeping the fans informed with up to date news. I'm on a couple mailing lists for other acts and they usually let you know what's going on as well. Wish I could say the same for U2.com

muse aren't 50 years old.

Looks like Variety has picked up this story.

U2 to issue live EP - Entertainment News, Music News, Media - Variety

U2 to issue live EP
Three-song release part of Black Friday push
By CHRISTOPHER MORRIS
U2 will issue a limited edition three-track live EP, "Wide Awake in Europe," including a previously unreleased song, as an exclusive item for independent record stores on Nov. 26.

Top-selling Irish band's piece will be the key title for "Back to Black Friday," an indie retail event mounted by the organizers of the annual Record Store Day. Nearly 1,400 stores participated in RSD in April this year.

Promotion is designed to build traffic at indie outlets on the Friday following Thanksgiving, the day Christmas shoppers typically crowd mass merchants and mall chain stores.

Limited to 5,000 copies, U2's 12-inch vinyl release will include a version of the concert favorite "Mercy," recorded live in Brussels on Sept. 21. Set will also feature "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" (cut in Dublin in July 2009) and "Moment of Surrender" (captured in September in Paris).

Exclusive product - most of it on vinyl -- from Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix and Cee Lo Green, among others, is also earmarked for the Black Friday promotion. EMI Music previously announced a new vinyl boxed edition of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" for the event.

Availability of unique product has spurred lineups at RSD stores in the past, since small allocations of the exclusive collector-oriented titles are quickly depleted. This year's draws included vinyl from Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, R.E.M., the Velvet Underground, the Sex Pistols and Sonic Youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom