Wide Awake in America EP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess because back when it was made singles only came with a B Side.
Yeah its odd when you think about it, you pay almost full price for it and it only has 4 songs!

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 11-09-2001).]

Hello,

Originally posted by Mr_Phes:
Wide Awake in America is suppose to be an EP?

But its got less tracks than some of the singles. So why didn't they just make it a single rather than an EP?

As zooropamanda already said, in the mid-Eighties normal singles still had only an A and one B side. The tracks on WAIA were never released as a single... almost.

Because, AFAIK the record was counted as a single in its first week of release in the USA. However, after one week Billboard decided it didn't fit the rules for singles, so it became counted as an album. Don't know the exact reason though.

Nevertheless, the songs on it are great!

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Actually those songs were originally released as B sides on the Unforgettable Fire singles that were released in Europe. They were not released as singles in the U.S. so they created Wide Awake to release them in the U.S.

Someone like Sting or doctorwho would probebly have more info about it though.

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Hello,

As zooropamanda already said, in the mid-Eighties normal singles still had only an A and one B side. The tracks on WAIA were never released as a single... almost.

Are you sure about the one A and one B side thing? Because both the singles off The Unforgettalbe Fire have more than one B side and they were released before Wide Awake in America.

Pride Single: 3 B sides http://www.u2.com/singles/s_sep_1984/single_detail.html

Unforgettable Fire Single: 5 B sides http://www.u2.com/singles/s_apr_1985/single_detail.html

Oh well. Its not important, I was just curious. Thanks for your help.

It's annoying because at the time of its release, Wide Awake in America was meant to be sold at a low low special price, but now it goes for the same price as most albums. blah.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
It's annoying because at the time of its release, Wide Awake in America was meant to be sold at a low low special price, but now it goes for the same price as most albums. blah.

I found it at Half Price Books (used) for .99 cents! lol
wink.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

www.geocities.com/u2_celebrate/u2_celebration.html

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 11-10-2001).]

The Wide Awake In America is classified as a single by the Candian Soundscan and as far as I know all EPs are....U2 realeased an EP also back in 1997 Popheart...Wide Awake In America is no different....remember albums are LPs not EPs....in my mind it is a single and in the industries mind it is a single, but somehow over time got thrown into the album category...its not.

Back
Top Bottom